The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Draft Magic to Get Barzal

I obviously disagree with those rankings. I just find it difficult to think teams would see more value in Zacha or Crouse or Meier or Rantanen. Perhaps one or maybe even two of those guys go higher but not all four.

Barzal put up 1.3 PPG on a pretty lousy team while have a very difficult knee injury half way through the season. He has an absolute ton of potential and he has proven more than the aforementioned guys at the junior level. Some teams may be duped into picking Zacha or Crouse because of their size but I find it near impossible to see Barzal sliding out of the top ten (nevermind the top 15).

I really hope Benning can move up and take him. He would be our first prospect since the Henrik to have legitimate first line center potential.

I saw him play live near the end of the season, he was unnoticeable except for the shootout where he made a nifty deke that should have counted, but didn't. Juulsen was more noticeable, to be honest. there's a reason why his stock dropped from 9th NA skater at midterm to 11th at final. I'd rather benning take anyone else than Barzal, no matter where we end up in the first round, to be honest.

I'd honestly be surprised if he goes top 10, nevermind top 15.

Guest Dasein

I don't think Benning will move up unless it's very reasonable and affordable

He is probably confident that he will be able to pick a very good player at where we are

That being said, would love to see us pick up another 1st round pick from one of those teams that have multiple like Edmonton - Edmonton is definitely dangling that PIT 1st to get a veteran back to surround McDavid with

He reminds me of a Patrice Bergeron. Injuries have certainly hampered him but I do believe he will go Top-15.

I also recall Benning on radio saying how impressive Barzal was at the Ivan Hlinka. Personally I would be ecstatic if we could get him and Oliver Kylington ^_^

Regardless I don't think the OP's proposal is too realistic.

If anything, JB would move down to get a 2nd and 3rd back. We dont have the picks to move up

Something like 23 for 31, 55, and 69 for example. Garth Snow is always looking to trade up

If we win the O'Connor sweepstakes then Markstrom would go for a top 60 pick, then we'd only have to move down a bit. Ex. 23 for 28 and 49

If theres still a bunch of guys left like Chabot, Roy, Pilon, Vande Sompel, Carlo, then I can see him moving down 5-10 spots in order to get a 2nd pick back

If Vince Dunn is still there at #23, I don't think we should move the pick (although it seems like JB has been heavily scouting Jeremy Roy). Dunn looks like this years Sanheim

Personally, if we don't get Dunn, i'd rather take Bittner or Sprong and get Rasmus Andersson later. I see him having same potential as the 1st/2nd round puck moving dmen. Ethan Baer is looking good too.

Although not offensive, overager Gavrikov would be nice. Yudin and Paigan were also studs for Russia

6'7 beasts Martenet and Bruce would be good 5th round choices, although I really hope we go with Saarela. Not too big, but he was great for the Finns at the U-18s. His impact reminded me over Pastrnak's the year before.

If we go for a goalie this year, Vehvianen is my favorite. Adin Hill has looked great for Portland as well. Denis Godla would be a nice story. Someone will use their 7th pick on him for sure

Conor Garland looks like Johnny Gaudreau. I'd love to gamble on him even though he is an overager. 2nd to Ehlers in points and same age. Timashov is a rookie though, so maybe more potential there. They are ranked #86 and #92. 129pts and 90pts for them, worth the gamble I think with a 5th pick

If we do go PMD with our 1st, we should grab Speers or Knott with our next pick

Archived