The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Calgary's disallowed goal and the parallax view

Second hand. Was listening to NHL radio and they brought up that the goal post cams were obscured for this goal.

The net being lifted is the reason the overhead shot was not of benefit.

This wasn't a fix. It was a really fast play and shot. The call was made on the ice by a human official and the video reviews were inconclusive. I can see why the official wouldn't have called it a goal, you would of had to have been in a very specific, almost impossible position to see it clearly go in. Also in theory they now have a crutch that if it goes in they will call it in Toronto.

Unfortunately the video review was inconclusive because:

1. net was lifted with crossbar shutting back blocking the overhead view

2. the post camera shots were apparently obscured. Even then because of 1, the angles may not have been clear.

3. The puck was lifted so the 45 degree angle shot, which was the best shot could not clearly show if the puck was over the line as illustrated in the parallax view presented.

Again, I think it was in and the call on the ice was bad. The video review though was inconclusive and so the call on the ice had to stand. Glad Calgary won in the end though so all this argument really is a moot point.

Video review is not always perfect, I still think Steve Bauer won Paris Roubaix but got screwed by the video review because Plankaert is Belgian.

Archived