The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Anyone a Paramedic

Swedish elite3

Just wondering if anyone here has done any paramedic work like rural EMR? Or any type of other paramedic work I currently have my OFA level 3 and enjoyed learning how to help save life's or treat injuries. I would like to maybe make a career out of it. So just curious if there is any on here and what you opinion and experience has been?

Just wondering if anyone here has done any paramedic work like rural EMR? Or any type of other paramedic work I currently have my OFA level 3 and enjoyed learning how to help save life's or treat injuries. I would like to maybe make a career out of it. So just curious if there is any on here and what you opinion and experience has been?

I was a Firefighter/EMT many moons ago. People who go into just the paramedic side of the work (i.e. Work for a private company) by itself average 5-7 years before they leave for good. There's a lot of turnover in that profession.

I live in the US, so it may be different in Canada.

ya real fun to learn not so much when you have to use it. The reason I never went into being a paramedic is I don't want to peel a kid off the road. Stick with the ofa at least they know the risk at the job sites

Dealt with a lot already as a member of a Volunteer Fire dept and such along with family members and serious injuries with them. So I know I can deal with it that much that I'm not worried about was never fun but do enjoy helping others

I was a Firefighter/EMT many moons ago. People who go into just the paramedic side of the work (i.e. Work for a private company) by itself average 5-7 years before they leave for good. There's a lot of turnover in that profession.

I live in the US, so it may be different in Canada.

Thanks for the insight it is definitely different operations I'd assume but down to the basics it's all the same. Did you enjoy it and recommend it? Or stay far and long away?

If you want to make it a career in BC, you've got a long, stressful life ahead of you.

I would advise against it unless you're willing to move... Or just like working hard for no pay.

Paramedics in BC put it this way, "it's one of the best jobs in the world, only you work for the worst employer in the world".

Ya its too bad really that's the only thing that is stopping me at this point, should be easily 100k a year job

You'll be lucky to make half that as an EMT in BC. All health professions are the lowest paid in the country in BC. "Sun shine tax"

If you want to go to Alberta I believe starting wage for EMT's is approx. 60k gross and depending on experience/training can go up to 105k gross. Always $&!# happening up here too. Farming and Oil are honestly both risky and physically taxing.

Thanks for the insight it is definitely different operations I'd assume but down to the basics it's all the same. Did you enjoy it and recommend it? Or stay far and long away?

I left the department several years after I began for different reasons that had nothing to do with the job. For those several years I enjoyed. Maybe not falling through the second story flooring at a very preventable house fire, but that at least makes for a half decent story.

If you can somehow squeeze your way into a fire department, I'd at least give it a shot if I were you. They'll even pay for your EMT training.

Archived