The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The real problem With the Canucks and you might just agree.

Arrow 1983

13 hours ago, alfstonker said:

This negated your whole opinion for me. The guy has been just short of a revelation since first taking his chance last season. He is not prone to mistakes, keeps it simple, plays the man old school style and chips in with some good offence when the opportunity arises.

If indeed he is a career AHLer please can we get some more like him?

Really?  A simple assessment on Biega with his 11 NHL games played in 6 pro seasons is the defining point of contention?

Even if that changes and he becomes a depth or bottom-pairing NHL defenseman, I believe more pressing issues are at hand.

13 hours ago, BanTSN said:

Really?  A simple assessment on Biega with his 11 NHL games played in 6 pro seasons is the defining point of contention?

Even if that changes and he becomes a depth or bottom-pairing NHL defenseman, I believe more pressing issues are at hand.

We are in transition, that is the pressing issue. That has meant a basically good team is having bits drop out, traded and replaced. 

One of the issues was an  uncertainty in the play of some of our D particularly Weber, who although I like, has been found wanting too often this season. He is small and he plays small. He seems more a fit on a winning team than one struggling to establish itself again.

To fix it JB has brought in a guy who is a "fighter," and has played decent minutes low down on the back end without letting us down last season. And again he has shored up that position with almost faultless displays playing 16-17 mins on ice.

To write him off as a "career AHLer" is to my mind showing a lack of perception in the circumstances. As I say we could do well to unearth one or two more like him.

11 hours ago, alfstonker said:

We are in transition, that is the pressing issue. That has meant a basically good team is having bits drop out, traded and replaced. 

One of the issues was an  uncertainty in the play of some of our D particularly Weber, who although I like, has been found wanting too often this season. He is small and he plays small. He seems more a fit on a winning team than one struggling to establish itself again.

To fix it JB has brought in a guy who is a "fighter," and has played decent minutes low down on the back end without letting us down last season. And again he has shored up that position with almost faultless displays playing 16-17 mins on ice.

To write him off as a "career AHLer" is to my mind showing a lack of perception in the circumstances. As I say we could do well to unearth one or two more like him.

Not 'writing him off' as much as giving him a label that currently applies, as he's been primarily an AHLer for 6 years.  That being said, it should not come as a shock if he keeps the label up.  The Canucks need to do a lot more than acquire replacement-level players if they hope to get back to upper levels.  They need to start getting back to having players who are capable of playing high minutes for a full season and playoffs, rather than just a minor stretch of games.  If Biega is part of that future, so be it, but it's unlikely.

11 hours ago, BanTSN said:

Not 'writing him off' as much as giving him a label that currently applies, as he's been primarily an AHLer for 6 years.  That being said, it should not come as a shock if he keeps the label up.  The Canucks need to do a lot more than acquire replacement-level players if they hope to get back to upper levels.  They need to start getting back to having players who are capable of playing high minutes for a full season and playoffs, rather than just a minor stretch of games.  If Biega is part of that future, so be it, but it's unlikely.

Fair enough, but you listed it more as a slur than a fact which is what I took exception to. When someone comes in and constantly performs to pretty decent level why label him as "a career AHL er" as if he is not fit to have a job in the NHL? That's all I'm saying.

I agree on one thing is the effort level some of these "career AHLers" give. And is what the canucks should be looking to improve the team. 

Kenins and biega have come in with that effort needed to play effective hockey. Cracknell above labelled a "career AHLer "  is exactly what's needed out of a 4th line center and can play 3rd as well. 

29 other teams have these on fringe of making their club player types. Who bring youth speed and physical play.  And sometimes you need to bring in an old blue collar career ahler still fighting to make a pro career. 

Get rid of the guys who are afraid of the physical contact or are no longer doing it. Be tough to play against.  These guys aren't hard to find and are not hard to acquire. 

And if we are retooling with those blue collar types at least games won't be boring.  

Archived