The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Reasons why Waiver players are not being picked up right now (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

With this latest moves, I can foresee any player demanding a long term contract will be a thing of the past because most teams do not trust that player will perform at its highest level at the end of contract  will most likely offer 2 to 3 years contract to their young players with higher AAV and short term unless you are McDavid and will more likely get 8-year max contract than players like Lucic, Seguin, etc.  Most players will want security but if you are a 2nd liner or a 3rd liner, you won't see teams offering 4 years contract for them.  It is easier to find replacement for 2nd liner, 2nd pairing D than the first liner or a top D. 

I would not even offer Sbisa, Dorsett contract like that because there are many others with similar performance will be willing to be paid less and less term just for a spot for them.   it is getting a reality where many players that perform well for a year or two will become a bad contract at the end of their contract 95% of the time.  Only few players perform this well throughout the contract, example: Burrows with his 2 M contract getting rewarded but should have been offered a short-term 2-year 4.5M with NTC and performance bonuses rather than a 4-year contract.   This is how you reward players with signing bonus knowing that he may decline 3 or 4 years later.  I would treat a player with underpaid players that had a couple of great seasons with a signing bonus on his new contract with a firm stance on 2 to 3 year term, Burrows as an example.    I would also put in a performance bonus as an incentive should he meet a certain goal on his final year of the contract, not 1st or 2nd year, but rather final year with bonus so that if he decline, he would want some bonus into it and actually earned it.  

So this is the reason why I wouldn't do anything with 3rd or 4th lines and that spot should be reserved for young players/prospects graduating from AHL, than a NHLers.  I would offer a higher contract and long term contract to the first liner just to keep his service, and a mid-sixe contract for 2nd liner and minimum wages for 3rd and 4th liner to a rookie or a proven shutdown performer.   Almost everybody can play defense but not the offense. 

8 hours ago, chilliwiggins said:

chemistry is a funny thing and mathias seemed to do pretty decent here.  those 18  goals would sure come in handy though wouldn't they?????       might have been that much closer to a playoff spot, and would of had some better options in line combos.  

as for Richardson lol  we are dead last in the faceoff circle added to poor defensive coverage that spells high draft pick to me.

why don't you start a thread on when canucks are going to extend Bennings contract for 5 more years.  I can here Aquilinis spincter tightening at just the thought of that. lol

ya  know Chill I kind of agree with you on lots of points, but it is just as likely that Mathias had a career year just like Weber last season. He has no history of scoring 18 goals  per season, same as Weber doesn't score 11.  So it is probable that Mathias would have declined here just as he did in TO and Weber did here.

As for Richardson, the rumour is he wanted term, and by the end of it could be holding a spot similar to Higgins.  I am not sure Richardson would get claimed if he were waived right now.  He does stand a better chance based solely on his FO ability, but that is not enough reason to keep him past his best before date. That is the hole JB is climbing out of now.  

As I mentioned in a Prusty thread most teams in the middle 20 have 2 stars, 2 secondary stars, 2 rooks and 15 interchangeable parts and 8 guys in the minors as good as those 15.

If you look at the number of 1-0 or 1-1 games in the NHL it does not matter if a 4th line gets caught against a first, often the 1st still does not score. It does not matter if Prust is on the 4th or Vey, Gaunce or Zalewski, they are all interchangeable with about 500 other equal scrubs in the NHL.

Archived