To Montreal

5th OA

Hansen

Subban

To Vancouver:

9th OA

45th OA (Wild 2nd)

Juulsen

Draft Logan Brown with the 9th overall and BPA with the 45th.

Montreal adds a versatile forward who can move up and down the lineup and produce, and moves up to draft the French-Canadien Dubois.  We get a PMD and another right hand shot, replace our 2nd, and get a giant potential top 6 center.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Hansen + Subban = Juulsen; Brown + 2nd > Dubois.

I didn't read carefully. I thought it was Edler not Subban. How about this

To Mtl

5th OA

Hansen

Edler

To Van

Galchenyuk

Beaulieu

45th OA

Sign Hamhuis

Hamhuis Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Beaulieu

Not bad, but it's not great either

1 minute ago, The Canadian said:

To Mtl

5th OA

Hansen

Edler

To Van

Galchenyuk

Beaulieu

45th OA

Sign Hamhuis

Hamhuis Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Beaulieu

I like that but Montreal isn't trading Galchenyuk.  This season was an aberration due to Price being hurt and I don't think that trade makes them much better.

1 hour ago, The Canadian said:

To Mtl

5th OA

Hansen

Edler

To Van

Galchenyuk

Beaulieu

45th OA

Sign Hamhuis

Hamhuis Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Tryamkin Beaulieu

I don't like hamhuis up with tanev. Sign Yandle or Goligoski instead

Yandle Tanev

Hutton Gudbranson

Beaulieu Tryamkin/Larsen

1 minute ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

And if Juulsen doesn't pan out? Subban has just as much a chance as juulsen to be a top 4 dman

Hansen+Subban+Dubois>Brown+Juulsen+2ns

Juulsen is a pretty big upgrade on Subban and has a huge size advantage.  There's a  risk in any trade and I prefer using it to get more young assets instead of going all in on a future 3rd liner at 3rd overall.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Juulsen is a pretty big upgrade on Subban and has a huge size advantage.  There's a  risk in any trade and I prefer using it to get more young assets instead of going all in on a future 3rd liner at 3rd overall.

We"ll agree to disagree. Dubois has a much higher chance of being a top 6 forward than Brown in my opinion. But not counting out Brown at all. He has 1st line potential. It's unlikely he"ll reach it unless he works really hard at it.

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

This deal acquires MORE picks and prospects...

I get that you dont like Dubois for some reason?

But 5th is going to be Dubois or Tkachuk

You are getting a worse player in Logan Brown at 9. I would rather Draft Jost at 9.

21 hours ago, King Heffy said:

To Montreal

5th OA

Hansen

Subban

To Vancouver:

9th OA

45th OA (Wild 2nd)

Juulsen

I have no interest in trading down this years draft.

Hansen is a top winger.

and a 5th oa Pick

and a throw away d-man that for all intensive purpose will not make the team next year is too small

for

a trade down pick

a 2nd round pick.

a d-man who is 2-3 years away from even making the team let alone from making an impact on the team.

We are getting hosed in this trade...

Just now, ChampStatus said:

I get that you dont like Dubois for some reason?

But 5th is going to be Dubois or Tkachuk

You are getting a worse player in Logan Brown at 9. I would rather Draft Jost at 9.

I have no interest in trading down this years draft.

Hansen is a top winger.

and a 5th oa Pick

and a throw away d-man that for all intensive purpose will not make the team next year is too small

for

a trade down pick

a 2nd round pick.

a d-man who is 2-3 years away from even making the team let alone from making an impact on the team.

We are getting hosed in this trade...

I have no issue with taking Tkachuk.  But I want absolutely no part of Dubious.  Trading down and getting a better player, while adding a solid D prospect and a mid 2nd is nothing to sneeze at.  Hansen's stats are inflated by the Sedins which will lower his value in a trade.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I have no issue with taking Tkachuk.  But I want absolutely no part of Dubious.  Trading down and getting a better player, while adding a solid D prospect and a mid 2nd is nothing to sneeze at.  Hansen's stats are inflated by the Sedins which will lower his value in a trade.

What inside Information do you have on Dubois that no one else has?

Logan Brown is not a better player.
Hansen is still a top 6 winger at a solid value.....

2 minutes ago, ChampStatus said:

What inside Information do you have on Dubois that no one else has?

Logan Brown is not a better player.
Hansen is still a top 6 winger at a solid value.....

Spoiler

There have been surprises before when NHL Central Scouting Service has filed their final rankings, but not in recent memory has any raised eyebrows among professional talent assessors like the list NHL CSS issued this week. It has scouts and executives for NHL teams trying to read between the lines, and many believe that the list might be as much about evolving politics inside the organization as it is talent on the ice.

CHL; OHL; WHL; QMJHL; NHL Draft; BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game; Sportsnet; Hockey; Jeff Marek

Jeff Marek hosts Sportsnet’s weekly CHL podcast, a one-stop shop for news, analysis, opinion and interviews covering the WHL, OHL and QMJHL.

Listen now | iTunes | Podcatchers

The big news was the rise of Cape Breton left winger Pierre-Luc Dubois from No. 7 among North American skaters in the mid-term to the top slot. Scouts don’t have an issue with placing Dubois in the top 10. None balked at where CSS ranked him in the mid-term. And players do rise and fall over the last months of the season. Still, Dubois is an outlier.

"You'll see players move up six slots in the top 20 but not in the top 10," one veteran scout said when the list came out. "You'll even see a kid from the 40s move into the 20s or even in the high teens. You might see a big shift for a Tier II player who was seen a lot. You don't see that type of movement right at the top of the class, no.

"I never saw it coming and I had seen Dubois a fair bit. He was a priority for us in the second half of the season."

Others saw Dubois's ranking as a bit of a knock on those he passed. "I wonder what [London left winger Matthew] Tkachuk did to fall from No. 1 to 2," one Ontario-based scout said. "He's torn it up all season, no real point where he let down. He was great at the world juniors, [and is playing] a higher level than Dubois saw in the Q.

"Some people might have questions about Tkachuk's skating and maybe some scouts would like Dubois over him because of more balanced skill. Still, what about all the other guys? Did they all fall in the second half of the season? I don't see it."

Matthew Tkachuk; London Knights; OHL; CHL; Central Scouting
Tkachuk's 1.87 points-per-game average was fifth in the OHL this season. (Aaron Bell/OHL Images)

At least a few NHL team scouts, especially those acquainted with the staff at CSS over the years, believe that Dubois's climb reflects a shift in power in the war room underwritten by the league. Danny Marr replaced the late E.J. Maguire in 2011 as CSS director and over the course of the years has shaped the outfit into his own.

A lot of veteran scouts have moved on, including the top man in each of the CHL regions: B.J. MacDonald in the West and Christian Bordeleau in Quebec both retired after decades with CSS, and Chris Edwards in Ontario left CSS to work with the overseers of the league's on-ice officials. In their absence David Gregory, who is based in New England, has asserted authority that none of the other top regional scouts had up until this season.

Said one NHL team scouting director: "Under E.J. [the CSS war room] was about consensus—building and sounding everyone out, giving everyone else a voice. Under Marr and Gregory it's very much top-down... they have strong opinions and expect [the rest of CSS staff] to fall in line."

Okay, it's somewhat speculative to say that Dubois was Gregory's guy, but scouts point to another player on CSS's final list as proof Gregory's outsize influence: UConn centre Tage Thompson at No. 20 among North American skaters.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/pierre-luc-dubois-rose-top-nhl-central-scoutings-final-rankings-2016-nhl-draft/

Small sample size + top-down structure in CSS.  I'm not convinced he'll be able to be an effective scorer with this style in the NHL as he won't be able to just overpower defenders in a soft league. 

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:
  Reveal hidden contents

There have been surprises before when NHL Central Scouting Service has filed their final rankings, but not in recent memory has any raised eyebrows among professional talent assessors like the list NHL CSS issued this week. It has scouts and executives for NHL teams trying to read between the lines, and many believe that the list might be as much about evolving politics inside the organization as it is talent on the ice.

CHL; OHL; WHL; QMJHL; NHL Draft; BMO CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game; Sportsnet; Hockey; Jeff Marek

Jeff Marek hosts Sportsnet’s weekly CHL podcast, a one-stop shop for news, analysis, opinion and interviews covering the WHL, OHL and QMJHL.

Listen now | iTunes | Podcatchers

The big news was the rise of Cape Breton left winger Pierre-Luc Dubois from No. 7 among North American skaters in the mid-term to the top slot. Scouts don’t have an issue with placing Dubois in the top 10. None balked at where CSS ranked him in the mid-term. And players do rise and fall over the last months of the season. Still, Dubois is an outlier.

"You'll see players move up six slots in the top 20 but not in the top 10," one veteran scout said when the list came out. "You'll even see a kid from the 40s move into the 20s or even in the high teens. You might see a big shift for a Tier II player who was seen a lot. You don't see that type of movement right at the top of the class, no.

"I never saw it coming and I had seen Dubois a fair bit. He was a priority for us in the second half of the season."

Others saw Dubois's ranking as a bit of a knock on those he passed. "I wonder what [London left winger Matthew] Tkachuk did to fall from No. 1 to 2," one Ontario-based scout said. "He's torn it up all season, no real point where he let down. He was great at the world juniors, [and is playing] a higher level than Dubois saw in the Q.

"Some people might have questions about Tkachuk's skating and maybe some scouts would like Dubois over him because of more balanced skill. Still, what about all the other guys? Did they all fall in the second half of the season? I don't see it."

Matthew Tkachuk; London Knights; OHL; CHL; Central Scouting
Tkachuk's 1.87 points-per-game average was fifth in the OHL this season. (Aaron Bell/OHL Images)

At least a few NHL team scouts, especially those acquainted with the staff at CSS over the years, believe that Dubois's climb reflects a shift in power in the war room underwritten by the league. Danny Marr replaced the late E.J. Maguire in 2011 as CSS director and over the course of the years has shaped the outfit into his own.

A lot of veteran scouts have moved on, including the top man in each of the CHL regions: B.J. MacDonald in the West and Christian Bordeleau in Quebec both retired after decades with CSS, and Chris Edwards in Ontario left CSS to work with the overseers of the league's on-ice officials. In their absence David Gregory, who is based in New England, has asserted authority that none of the other top regional scouts had up until this season.

Said one NHL team scouting director: "Under E.J. [the CSS war room] was about consensus—building and sounding everyone out, giving everyone else a voice. Under Marr and Gregory it's very much top-down... they have strong opinions and expect [the rest of CSS staff] to fall in line."

Okay, it's somewhat speculative to say that Dubois was Gregory's guy, but scouts point to another player on CSS's final list as proof Gregory's outsize influence: UConn centre Tage Thompson at No. 20 among North American skaters.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/juniors/pierre-luc-dubois-rose-top-nhl-central-scoutings-final-rankings-2016-nhl-draft/

Small sample size + top-down structure in CSS.  I'm not convinced he'll be able to be an effective scorer with this style in the NHL as he won't be able to just overpower defenders in a soft league. 

I love Jeff Marek he is a great writer and knows a lot about the game. But a few problems I have with his piece here is when you quote stuff like

I hate when people make quotes and dont stand behind them. Say who it is and make sure your source is creditable.

Logan Brown Jumped from 14 - 7 in North American Skaters...

Julien Gauthier Dropped from 4 - 12 in North American Skaters...

Central Scouting is just a guide line... If any team is Drafting players just because they are the highest ranked player availble on the Central Scouting List, the GM needs to be fired and then whats the point to have scouting staffs...

In the post it points out that a lot of Central Scouting scouts have moved on.

Jeff Marek believes that because David Gregory has more control then ever on the final draft rankings. Saying that Dubois is Gregorys guy and also points to Tage Thompson as another player who is in David Gregory's region that also shot up the draft rankings..

A survey of five scouts came to a consensus opinion that Thompson is a late-second or third-round pick

Thompson is ranked 20th in North american skaters. So saying a late 2nd round or third round pick is not far off. But this survey of 5 scouts is what I don't like. What scouts. I cant stand behind facts that don't have anything behind it.

I know I am getting off topic but Just because one writer does not like the player the Canucks may more may not draft at 5 is that the reason why you are making this trade with MTL?

Archived