The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver to tax empty homes 'with or without' province's support

nuckin_futz

The analysis found more than 5,000 short-term rentals in the city, some 85 per cent of which are listed through AirBnb. The rest are listed through other services, including Homeaway and Flipkey.

Fully three-quarters of short-term rentals are entire homes, condos, or apartments that could otherwise provide housing for long-term residents of the city.

Some 31 per cent of the short-term rentals available in Vancouver are downtown. Other neighbourhoods with a large number of such rentals include Mount Pleasant/Renfrew (15 per cent), Kitsilano/Point Grey (14 per cent), and East Hastings (14 per cent).

Vancouver’s rental vacancy rate has been below 1 per cent for several years. At 0.6 per cent, it is one of the lowest in Canada.

http://bc.ctvnews.ca/more-than-5-000-airbnb-style-rentals-listed-in-vancouver-study-finds-1.2990548

And I'd imagine the numbers are even higher (there are ads run overseas that likely aren't factored in).

3 hours ago, Salmonberries said:

When the time comes for me to sell, I'm definitely selling to an Asian family.

Just to spite the millennials.

What if it was an Asian millennial?

Any reason for the animosity towards a whole generation of Canadians? 

49 minutes ago, Toews said:

What if it was an Asian millennial?

Any reason for the animosity towards a whole generation of Canadians? 

An Asian millennial would fine with me. Kind of what I'd expect, to tell you the truth.

I don't like white millennials.

Archived