The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN-DAL, VAN-NYR, VAN-MTL

Hero1

I was thinking of what teams would want our older assets and what to do with the Virtanen situation.

I've seen some talk about Virtanen to Ottawa for Curtis Lazar.

At first I didn't like it but the more I think about it, it makes sense.  Both players were thought to project to be impact players and add to their respective teams something that they lacked. Change the scenery for them both and maybe this deal works great!  RW RFA Lazar was thought to be a Lucic/Fisher type of player.

Miller to Dallas for Radek Faksa - Dallas could use Millers goal tending for sure.  Faksa is young player with upside that won't need to be protected in the entry draft.  RFA Center Camparable to Markus Granlund, Lukas Sedlak or Andrew Copp

Burrows to NYR for Grabner and a pick - AV knows and loves Burrows. He is the kind of player you want on a playoff team. Van would have to take back salary. Grabner is fast and can score. He should be entry draft bait so we can keep other players (Sbisa) .  The pick is the key to this trade.

Hansen to Montreal for Artturi Lehkonen - Like the Burrows trade, Hansen is the kind of player you want in the playoffs. Van gets another young prospect with upside that won't need to be protected. A couple more years left on a decent contract. LW comparable to Michael Ferland, Nick Ritchie, and Derek Grant.

If one of these players lives up to their projections it's a win for Vancouver this deadline.

It would be a nice thought that Vancouver just picks up a bunch of picks instead of prospects but there will be holes in the lineup without Burrows and Hansen that need to be filled with better potential than Megna and Guance.

Thoughts?

For the reason I already stated.

Grabner isn't a playoff player.  What Burrows brings to a team is grit, heart, experience, and a pest that gets the other team off their game.

Also, I believe Grabners contract is up soon and to be able to fit Burrows in NY would have to send back salary.

Virtanen for Lazar is a huge no for me. It's too early to give up on Virtanen and from reports I've read he is doing very well just not scoring. I like him too much :D. It's clearly a big issue but he is at a point where on off season can do wonders. I'm advocating not trading Virtanen. Lazar I'd love to take on as a reclamation project but not for anything of value from our side or at most a deadline rental. He could break out but I just don't see it yet. I'd prefer to try something like Hansen for a 2nd + Lazar. That I'd take on. (Lazar has concussion issues and looks like he can break out if he gets some time off and better line mates)

Miller to Dallas won't work. They're paying more for goaltending than we are. Adding a 3rd goalie without getting rid of either Niemi or Lehtonen is rather reckless on their part. That's like 18 million on goaltending if you add Miller? If they somehow manage to get rid of one of Niemi or Lehtonen in another deal, then I still don't see Faksa coming back. They value him quite highly and wouldn't let a long term player go for a UFA goalie. Plus I value Miller at around a second and Faksa should be worth a bit more than that. I just don't see this one working :S Would be great if he pulled it off though! 

Grabner is part of a great third line on the Rangers. I think they've even named it kinda like the HBK line in Pittsburgh. And like it's been said Grabner is worth more than Burrows at this point. Even with the playoff experience. I don't think they will mess with the chemistry between their Grabner line though. (JT Miller, Grabner and Hayes I think?)

The Montreal trade I like. I actually like a lot of the Montreal rookies. Lehkonen, Scherbak, Hudon and McCarron are trending well and are on the brink to the NHL. Montreal doesn't have room for all of them so I'd kind of be hoping to somehow exploit that. I'd still try to get more than just one of them though. I think they'd need to add a mid round pick. But yeah, this trade I'd probably still do.

12 hours ago, Hero1 said:

I was thinking of what teams would want our older assets and what to do with the Virtanen situation.

I've seen some talk about Virtanen to Ottawa for Curtis Lazar.

At first I didn't like it but the more I think about it, it makes sense.  Both players were thought to project to be impact players and add to their respective teams something that they lacked. Change the scenery for them both and maybe this deal works great!  RW RFA Lazar was thought to be a Lucic/Fisher type of player.

Miller to Dallas for Radek Faksa - Dallas could use Millers goal tending for sure.  Faksa is young player with upside that won't need to be protected in the entry draft.  RFA Center Camparable to Markus Granlund, Lukas Sedlak or Andrew Copp

Burrows to NYR for Grabner and a pick - AV knows and loves Burrows. He is the kind of player you want on a playoff team. Van would have to take back salary. Grabner is fast and can score. He should be entry draft bait so we can keep other players (Sbisa) .  The pick is the key to this trade.

Hansen to Montreal for Artturi Lehkonen - Like the Burrows trade, Hansen is the kind of player you want in the playoffs. Van gets another young prospect with upside that won't need to be protected. A couple more years left on a decent contract. LW comparable to Michael Ferland, Nick Ritchie, and Derek Grant.

If one of these players lives up to their projections it's a win for Vancouver this deadline.

It would be a nice thought that Vancouver just picks up a bunch of picks instead of prospects but there will be holes in the lineup without Burrows and Hansen that need to be filled with better potential than Megna and Guance.

Thoughts?

This is ur first proposal so I'm gonna be easy on u LOL. I think ur close but in all the trades I say no. Id be happy with them but the other teams wouldn't. And if like to keep virtanen. He's gonna be good, the comets just have a bad team. He's playing fine. If he was playing with actual talent hed be tearing it up. Virtanen will be ready in a couple years, all great things in life take time.

Think of how disappointed you are with Virtanen's development so far. Now imagine he continues this trend for another 2 years with no progress. Okay thats Curtis Lazar. It baffles my mind that ppl want to trade Virtanen for Lazar! Virt is still young hopefully he snaps out of it but there is no way the Canucks should think of making a trade like this. Lazar will be on waivers in a year or two. Theres a reason he's being scratched every game.

Archived