The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Vancouver & Toronto

17 minutes ago, kloubek said:

As talented as Kapanen is, we really don't need more forwards.  In a couple of years we may be in a similar situation as Toronto is now - whereby we have too many forwards and our young guys won't have the opportunity to get ice time in the NHL. (Which, coincidentally is exactly what is happening to Kapanen right now).

Not only do we have the most forward prospects we've had... well... ever, we have a lot of guys who are expected to "hit" at least to some level.  Dahlen, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind and perhaps Lockwood all look like they are headed to be NHL players of varying success.  That's over half an entire forward lineup, and not even considering the Palmu's and others who also have an outside chance of making the NHL.

...and who do we have as likely NHL players on defense?  Juolevi, and lesser chances of success to another couple of guys like Chatfield and Brisebois.  

That's a clear discrepancy in prospective talent between our forward and defensive lines, and the latter must be addressed asap.

True but as we are rebuilding and this seems to be the year for defensemen I personally would like to draft and develop our own defensive core. Look at all the elite talent defensemen. About 95% are draft and develop and cost a mint in a trade. Forwards are yes easier to come by but with talented ones you take them while you can via trade.

1 minute ago, Ojibwa72 said:

True but as we are rebuilding and this seems to be the year for defensemen I personally would like to draft and develop our own defensive core. Look at all the elite talent defensemen. About 95% are draft and develop and cost a mint in a trade. Forwards are yes easier to come by but with talented ones you take them while you can via trade.

I agree that defense is best left drafted instead of traded for.  I would like nothing else than for Benning to have drafted a solid D.  In my opinion, he should have gone after several defensive prospects out of the gate instead of just Juolevi. But he didn't. 

And how we are left with a situation where our forwards are going to start being NHL players as early as next season, and the remainder we are interested in should be in the NHL the year following.  If we drafted now, those defensemen will be ready to START playing in the NHL in a couple of years, and will hit their prime about 3-4 years AFTER our forwards do. That's just crappy timing.  So I feel that as expensive as it will be, we ought to be focused on getting defensive prospects from other teams, where they are already a couple of years into their development. We use our current roster assets (for the most part) for that, since we aren't succeeding right now anyway, and then we draft the best players available to ensure we continue to stock the cupboards.

On 2018-01-26 at 11:06 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Straight forward 1 for 1 deal, and it makes sense for both teams. Toronto will be running into brutal cap issues in the next two years, they desperately need to shed cap. They also need the one defender that the Canucks have; Chris Tanev, he looked amazing playing with Riley, and Babcock knows this. 

Tanev

to TO

for

Kadri

Horton (cap hit of 5.3 million /year)

2018 1st round pick

Seems like fair value but we need Tanev. 

Archived