The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal: Vancouver & Toronto

Straight forward 1 for 1 deal, and it makes sense for both teams. Toronto will be running into brutal cap issues in the next two years, they desperately need to shed cap. They also need the one defender that the Canucks have; Chris Tanev, he looked amazing playing with Riley, and Babcock knows this. 

Tanev

to TO

for

Kadri

Horton (cap hit of 5.3 million /year)

2018 1st round pick

Why bother taking on the Robidas Isle special? Doesn't insurance cover that tripe?

If we do them this favour..why not Lupul then? He's off the books at season-end.

Really like the look of that Dermott kid. Throw him in, & we'll give them Smiley Hutton. If you could finagle them 2 into the deal(even if we retain on BH), I'd prob be down for it.

Horton hasn’t played a game since 2014.  He isn’t costing the Leafs any cap space. He goes on LTIR the 1st day of the season. The only time it’s an issue is making sure they’re cap compliant on Day 1.  Same thing applies to Lupal.  So taking on his contract really doesn’t help Toronto all that much. So really. You’re asking for a 30 goal/60 point centre signed to a sweetheart deal for another 4 years and a 1st for an injury prone shutdown D on a sweetheart deal that expires in 2 years. 

Tanev has lots of value. But I think you’re overreaching here.   

20 hours ago, canuckmen84 said:

This is not the type of "character" we need on our team.

Tanev is we need.

Image result for kadri hit on sedin GIF

It would be nice to win with players who are all as classy as the Sedins but unfortunately that isn't reality. You look at just about every Cup winning roster and you will see at least one unsavoury type, in some cases it's literally half the team (2011 Bruins). I am not trying to say that the Canucks should do this trade or even trade for Kadri, my point is that not every one of your players has to be an upstanding citizen. If you have a good culture in the organization then you can take a player with talent and get them to buy in to a plan, see New England Patriots.

On 1/26/2018 at 11:06 PM, captaincowbasher said:

Straight forward 1 for 1 deal, and it makes sense for both teams. Toronto will be running into brutal cap issues in the next two years, they desperately need to shed cap. They also need the one defender that the Canucks have; Chris Tanev, he looked amazing playing with Riley, and Babcock knows this. 

Tanev

to TO

for

Kadri

2018 1st round pick

Toronto's cap situation is not as dire as you make it out to be. 

There's a lot of money coming off the books very soon for them. Bozak, van Riemsdyke, Komorov, Hainsey and Gardiner will all be off the books with only Gardiner being a realistic re-sign as a ufa. This leaves plenty of room to re-sign Nylander this upcoming offseason and Marner and Mathews the following year. 

One must also consider that the cap is rumored to be going up for next season.

The thought of making a move in TO would, and should, be, purely, to improve their chances for playoff success.

Adding Tanev makes a lot of sense from TO's point of view. He's a solid defensive veteran who provides great leadership to a blueline that desperately needs it. he's also locked up for additional seasons at a very affordable cap hit which is also something they need.

I agree with your assessment of our need for grit and also see an opportunity here, though I don't see Kadri being available.

This being said, I'd like to, once again, bring up Kirby Rychel. This kid's going to be an NHLer in the near future. A lot has been made of liberties being taken on Boeser. Rychel on the left side of that line changes that. Rychel has the offensive skills to compliment Horvat and Boeser, much as Baertschi has, but also provides a physical presence opposition will quickly be made aware of, should they take runs at either Bo or Brock.

To Toronto:

Chris Tanev

To Vancouver

Kerby Rychel

2018 1st 

2019 2nd

This is an affordable deal for the Leafs and fills needs we have. 

They get a much-needed defender and we get more building blocks with grit being the theme.

Rychel          Horvat          Boeser

On 2018-01-27 at 3:06 AM, captaincowbasher said:

Tanev

to TO

for

Kadri

2018 1st round pick

Take away Horton.  No need to take on that cap unless we get something more back or they take on Eriksson 

10 hours ago, Toews said:

It would be nice to win with players who are all as classy as the Sedins but unfortunately that isn't reality. You look at just about every Cup winning roster and you will see at least one unsavoury type, in some cases it's literally half the team (2011 Bruins). I am not trying to say that the Canucks should do this trade or even trade for Kadri, my point is that not every one of your players has to be an upstanding citizen. If you have a good culture in the organization then you can take a player with talent and get them to buy in to a plan, see New England Patriots.

You do have a point and I agree that you need players that go out and hit and fight and have some swag however my point is that you don't need players like kadri that go out looking to make dirty or questionable hit.

There should be no place in the game for that type of player .

Hard pass on this deal.  Gaudette looks like he's likely to make the team as early as next year, so we already have enough centers.  Besides all the guys like Gaunce and Granlund, we have Pettersson for our first (in a couple of years), Horvat for our second, Sutter for 3rd and Gaudette for 4th.  That's just fine. And should Pettersson not be a first line player (which I doubt) we this doesn't help us anyway.

Kadri is a good player but Retro's deal makes more sense.  We need to stock our d with prospects fast or all these young forwards we have are going to develop well before we get our d in order and contributing.

I think until we see how our young forwards develop and then assess any holes that the d should be Bennings only focus. Find teams vying for the cup this season and offer them solid players that will help put them over the top in exhange for strong defensive prospects. I'm ok if Tanev is included in that but the return has to be on par with what he brings - which is a heck of a lot.

1 hour ago, kloubek said:

Hard pass on this deal.  Gaudette looks like he's likely to make the team as early as next year, so we already have enough centers.  Besides all the guys like Gaunce and Granlund, we have Pettersson for our first (in a couple of years), Horvat for our second, Sutter for 3rd and Gaudette for 4th.  That's just fine. And should Pettersson not be a first line player (which I doubt) we this doesn't help us anyway.

Kadri is a good player but Retro's deal makes more sense.  We need to stock our d with prospects fast or all these young forwards we have are going to develop well before we get our d in order and contributing.

I think until we see how our young forwards develop and then assess any holes that the d should be Bennings only focus. Find teams vying for the cup this season and offer them solid players that will help put them over the top in exhange for strong defensive prospects. I'm ok if Tanev is included in that but the return has to be on par with what he brings - which is a heck of a lot.

I agree. I think the Canucks should target Liljegren from Toronto. If the Leafs calculate that they are only a player or two away from a legitimate Cup run this year then they might be willing to sacrifice their future assets. Gudbranson and Baertschi could go the other way.

8 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

I agree. I think the Canucks should target Liljegren from Toronto. If the Leafs calculate that they are only a player or two away from a legitimate Cup run this year then they might be willing to sacrifice their future assets. Gudbranson and Baertschi could go the other way.

We can only speculate what they want to do but I think you're more on the mark with Gudbranson than you are Baertschi.  I think they have plenty of young scoring players that are going to be due for raises soon enough, so adding Baertschi doesn't make a lot of sense.  But one would guess they would want to bolster their defense so I can see them being interested in a trade with us for sure, and Liljegren seems like the perfect piece for us coming back.  If Benning pulled off something like that and perhaps did it again with another team, that would be 2 prospects plus Juolevi in the system which would basically have us set up in every position for success in about two to three years.

The great thing is that we have pieces to work with in a trade deal.  I see most of our current roster being potentially open as trade bait, so there are a lot of options to cover the needs of any cup contender should they wish to trade their d prospects with us. This is the time for Benning to get active and fix the area he has largely ignored since arriving.

6 minutes ago, Ojibwa72 said:

I like the idea but if anyone I want Kapanen coming back.

As talented as Kapanen is, we really don't need more forwards.  In a couple of years we may be in a similar situation as Toronto is now - whereby we have too many forwards and our young guys won't have the opportunity to get ice time in the NHL. (Which, coincidentally is exactly what is happening to Kapanen right now).

Not only do we have the most forward prospects we've had... well... ever, we have a lot of guys who are expected to "hit" at least to some level.  Dahlen, Pettersson, Gadjovich, Goldobin, Gaudette, Lind and perhaps Lockwood all look like they are headed to be NHL players of varying success.  That's over half an entire forward lineup, and not even considering the Palmu's and others who also have an outside chance of making the NHL.

...and who do we have as likely NHL players on defense?  Juolevi, and lesser chances of success to another couple of guys like Chatfield and Brisebois.  

That's a clear discrepancy in prospective talent between our forward and defensive lines, and the latter must be addressed asap.

Archived