The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Let's Deal Markstrom!

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Markstrom is not the problem . Any goalie's save percentage is drop with this team in front of them

I beg to differ.  Markstrom is facing 33 shots per game, the same as Hutton, Holtby, Price, Kincaid, and less than Anderson, Andersson, and Gibson.  Yet his sp is 37th of any goalie that’s played more than 8 games, 16 of which has a sp of .918 or above, 14 above .920 (all starters) and almost .50 less than the leader Rinne.   Raanta in ARI manages more than .920 every year on an equally rebuilding team... 

Gibson faces more shots on a team that scores a lot less yet has a winning record. They’ve also had key injuries and struggles to score more than two goals a game yet he keeps them in and gives them a chance to win every game, that’s what you want in your starter.   Markstrom is no longer a prospect or rookie or sophomore looking to make a name for himself and become the goalie he was supposed to.  He’s a veteran whose likely peaked and isn’t going to all of a sudden turn into Hasek.   There are lots of other young goalies that management could target and try out, 31 jobs makes it the most exclusive club in pro sports.   Every year there is a revelation as someone gets his chance and runs with it, Hutton is doing that this year, and even Calgary’s back-up too.  Doesn’t mean it will stick (OTTs Hammond is a good example, 22 wins to start your career gives you some pretty high standards going forward), but sometimes it does and you have your future goaltender.

Ive said it before and I will say it again I like Markstrom, but he really isn’t starter material, I don’t remember any Vancouver goalie that was given this much slack without getting demoted or traded.  I’d say Cloutier but he actually had respectable stats for the time (SP above .900).   I’m fine with keeping him if it’s part of the “stealth tank philosophy “ to give us the extra 10-15 Ls at the end of the year,  but at some point it needs to be addressed.  There’s enough reliable blue chip goalies around that are older to give the reigns to as a mentor for Demko.  After all what can Markstrom teach him?  How to let in a goal the first five minutes then turn it on, or how not to give your team confidence they you’ve got their back if they make a gaffe?  I miss Luongo,  and even Miller, those guys were great goalies for their generation and would be more than adequate place holders at this time.  Markstrom would be a great back-up, his stats this year suggest in the top ten for back-ups, but as a starter I no longer am holding onto hope that he will become what he was thought to be. How many games before you pull the plug on a guy?  Usually a lot less than he’s already had, his pedigree got him his current contract, it’s questionable whether he will even get another one if things stay the same.

Archived