The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Should the Canucks sign Brock Boeser for 8 years

Rate this topic

Brock Boeser Contract  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't like these long term deals, and especially with players who are barely 20 years old. People can talk about "maturity" all they want, but at 20-21-22 you're barely a freakin adult.
Handing a KID upwards of $100 MILLION DOLLARS (8x8 would be $85M adjusted to CDN) just seems like a very bad idea. How many guys that age does anyone here know who could handle that kind of immediate payday?
Not to mention, you're giving out the big payday at a time when a player should be focusing on getting better so they can make that money a little bit later after they've proven they're really worth it. (please remember, gone are the days of the 3 year ELC. Most often you're looking at the first year being burned, or even a 1 year ELC depending on certain factors)
I realize the NHL today and specifically, the CBA, aren't set up to reflect this... and I hope in the next round of discussions this gets addressed.
Bridge deals are a healthy thing for a young player in more ways than one, and these huge long term contracts being given to young RFA's are hurting the guys at the other end who've played their whole lives and now are seeing the money they'd get, go to some kid who still has acne.
It's wrong. my 2 bits

Edited by fecklund

addendum:

With regards to Boeser (and with all due respect to his talent level), we're talking about a player who's primary weapon, and hence his value to any team, is his shot.
He's STILL taping his wrist up heavily. Every. single. game. That doesn't concern anyone? We're talking about an injury that happened 2 1/2 years ago!

I suppose I'm playing Devil's Advocate here somewhat, but if I'm a GM and looking at re-signing him, I'm asking every doctor that's ever looked at that wrist what his consensus on long term health is.... because you don't tape a wrist up that much unless there's still some kind of issue with it. And after almost 3 years, that's a pretty big issue when a kid lives off his shot. 

4-5 years tops. If he's still healthy and productive at 26/27 years old then give him what he wants, or trade him for a blue chip prospect and start the process all over again. 

1 minute ago, fecklund said:

addendum:

With regards to Boeser (and with all due respect to his talent level), we're talking about a player who's primary weapon, and hence his value to any team, is his shot.
He's STILL taping his wrist up heavily. Every. single. game. That doesn't concern anyone? We're talking about an injury that happened 2 1/2 years ago!

I suppose I'm playing Devil's Advocate here somewhat, but if I'm a GM and looking at re-signing him, I'm asking every doctor that's ever looked at that wrist what his consensus on long term health is.... because you don't tape a wrist up that much unless there's still some kind of issue with it. And after almost 3 years, that's a pretty big issue when a kid lives off his shot. 

4-5 years tops. If he's still healthy and productive at 26/27 years old then give him what he wants, or trade him for a blue chip prospect and start the process all over again. 

How old is OV?  How old is Pavelski?  

Also, your vote isn't set up correctly.
you're asking people if he should be signed for 8 years or not, but if you say no, you can't complete the poll regarding term. It should be two separate questions. just fyi

Edited by fecklund

1 minute ago, rawkdrummer said:

Sign Boeser to a max term and pay him at least 8.

3-4 years from now it will seem like a steal.

Heard on the radio the cap will stagnate until the new US TV deal comes in a couple years.  What if that deal isn't what the league is hoping for?  The cap might just stay where it is for the next 8 years. Then what?  Remember that escrow was 15% last season.  The players were against the escalator this year.  The NHL operates under a false cap.  

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Heard on the radio the cap will stagnate until the new US TV deal comes in a couple years.  What if that deal isn't what the league is hoping for?  The cap might just stay where it is for the next 8 years. Then what?  Remember that escrow was 15% last season.  The players were against the escalator this year.  The NHL operates under a false cap.  

Which is brutal. 

....Unless you play for the Stars, Knights, Panthers, Lightning (and soon to be Seattle) - as Texas, Nevada, Florida, and Washington have no Income Tax. 
Then you might not care as much....

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

So why not sign Brock the Beautiful (I named him that) to max term?  He will likely be scoring goals for the full term.  

I alluded to why I don't like the idea.

1. His wrist issues (bread n butter)
2. I personally don't think giving a young kid that much money so early in his career is healthy.

Either way. He's going to be richer than his wildest dreams.... i think the emergence of very young RFA's getting huge payday's is also being driven by shyster agents who are likely taking advantage of kids who most likely don't know squat about how the league, the cap, and contracts even work,aside from what they tell them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, fecklund said:

Which is brutal. 

....Unless you play for the Stars, Knights, Panthers, Lightning (and soon to be Seattle) - as Texas, Nevada, Florida, and Washington have no Income Tax. 
Then you might not care as much....

I wonder if that unfair tax law might come up in the next CBA?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Alflives said:

I wonder if that unfair tax law might come up in the next CBA?

I'm not sure how?

Maybe we could start with normalizing the discrepancy between the US and CDN dollar..... maybe pay all players in the NHL with Bettman Bucks? lol

• Haha 1

I found this over at The Athletic (necro'd articles not behind paywall???)

He's had 2 surgeries on that wrist, and one for a broken back. Let's be careful is all I'm saying. 

There’s been a lot of focus on it being wrapped. It’s just tape.

“Obviously, I’ve dealt with a couple of wrist injuries I just do it to make sure I don’t have another wrist injury in the future"

One quick look on WebMD and you’ll see this: “Some athletes benefit from using wrist guards or tape. These may prevent the wrist from bending backward during a fall.”

https://theathletic.com/576924/2018/10/10/the-athletties-the-boeser-thing-the-dj-scratch-the-wrist-roll-and-the-legend-of-dekey-pete/