The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Should the Canucks sign Brock Boeser for 8 years

Rate this topic

Brock Boeser Contract  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The Canucks head into another off -seasons with a chance to sign a player that will be the centrepiece of their developing core. 

This is an important moment for this franchise. A moment that should signal to everyone that this franchise is serious about winning and contending for lord Stanley every year.

That is why the Canucks should not squander this opportunity to sign Boeser to a longer term in exchange for a more reasonable salary.

By signing Boeser for 8-10 years, the salary should become more favourable. Brock Boeser signed to a contract that pays him $7.5 mil /year for 8+ years is going to be a bargain, something  that the Canucks should absolutely consider. 

Edited by Setyoureyesontheprize
  • Upvote 1

Buying two UFA years makes a lot of sense to me, even if that means we pay him 8.  Those two years will mean a lot for the team later....6.5 x 6 would be about fair equivalent.   Horvats salary is what it is because we didn’t buy any of his prime contract years which i wish we did in hindsight, even if it meant an extra 1 million or so.    No clauses thanks. 

the equivalent to nylander, signed under an $83 mil cap instead of $79.5 mil, would be 6 years x $7.2 mil. I definitely can't imagine the boeser negotiation starting anywhere less than that. if you're buying 3 ufa years (8 year contract), I don't see it happening at less than $8.5 mil.

Edited by tas

I think the best comparable for Boeser would be Pastrnak and Nylander.  Pastrnak signed 6.67 for six years in 2017-18.  Considering that deal was signed 2 years ago, I think that deal is worth 6 x 7-7.5M$ today, which is exactly what Nylander got (despite AAV being funky with 1st year of deal).

So i'm guessing if you want to lock up Boeser for 8 years, you need to be at the very least at 8M.

Also, signing Boeser will pave the way for the EP extension.   My guess is Boeser's agent might suggest a MAtthews type of deal 4/5 years lower AAV than market value, but will bring him to free agency (5x7M?).  Not a bad deal for the Canucks, lower caphit for the prime years of EP, but some uncertainty with UFA status.

Edited by timberz21

its a nice idea and at 7.5 x 8 years I don't think any GM would say no to that. He'd be 30 when the deal was up, so you'd statistically be getting the best of him and there wouldn't be any NMC/NTC clauses either (like PKs contract e.g.) so I'd expect his agent would be looking for something a bit higher than 7.5. 

• Upvote 1

Don't know about salary but North of 7.5 would be expected.

He'll be 30, when it expires, so I'd expect him to want decent money.

I hope they do a long term deal or alternatively do a deal, that ensures he is still RFA, when the contract expires.

Don't care if there is clauses attached to BB contract...expect him to be with us for near enough the next decade.

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Sign BB for 7×$7 no or limited clauses.

Sign Edler for 3×$6 no or limited clauses.

Sign Hutton to 3x$3.5 no clauses.

Sign Schenn to 1x $1.2 no clauses

Qualify Leivo,  Goldy, Mott & others. 

Go to draft & get work done! 

When do you start with the Assistant GM job? ::D

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Fanuck said:

Sounds reasonable. I think Edler will want a NTC for first year at least. Maybe 1 year, full NTC, 2nd and 3rd, submits 10 teams he'd accept trade to.

I don't think the Canucks should, nor will Boeser's side want to go for a 8 year deal. For the Canuck side, we will be banking on Boeser improving, which he might indeed, but 8 million a season for an RFA will put us in a position where our cap on players will rise faster than we can keep up. I get that 8 million a year would mean buying UFA years, but we don't know what type of player he will be by that time. What we do know so far is that he has yet to play a full season and currently averages at about 67 points a season. It's good, but not great. So I can't see the Canucks wanting to commit that much term yet (I think EP will be a different story).

As for Boeser, I think he would like to prove himself more before committing to a long term deal. I think he will bank on himself for a bigger payout later on. He could want to just take the money and run, but it will have to be a deal that will be enticing for the Canucks to commit to.

I know times have changed, but I feel like 8-10 million dollar players should be PPG guys at least especially considering there were like 30 players to do so this past season. Anything above that needs to be a special player that can do more beyond putting up points (or be well above PPG). I rather see if Boeser even gets to this point first before committing that kind of money. I think I would offer a 6x4 deal which keeps him as an RFA by the end of the deal. If Boeser wants us to buy all the RFA years now so he's UFA by the end of it, then 6.5x5 is what I would go for (I'm assuming 5 years takes him to UFA). We have Bo at 5.5 as a comparison and while Boeser is out-producing him offensively so far, Bo provides far more. Personally I think 8 million a year is what I would offer for his next contract after whatever he gets this time around and that's assuming if all goes well in staying healthy and upping his production further.

• Upvote 3

No, give him a 2-3 year bridge deal.

- Considering his 2018-19 season, I'm sure he would like to prove what he's worth.

- A long term fair value deal could actually hurt his development because fans will start to expect performance each and every night, and could begin to criticize him for not performing. I don't believe he's at a consistent pace, but he's close.

- Management would have time to factor in what he's worth into their long-term plans.

4 hours ago, Fanuck said:

You don't sign Edler for 3 years. 2 years max. I'm inclined to let Edler walk.

Like the numbers but I don't get why you sign Boeser for 7 instead of 8 years? 8 years is the maximum amount of years you can sign him, so you might as well give him that eighth year if you're willing to commit to him for 7 years. Buy those two years of UFA status. But Boeser at 7/7.5 for 8 years is the ideal number.

And I'd consider trading Hutton's RFA rights. He's a solid NHLer but he might have more value with a team with a cap crunch and so we can swap him out for a contract that a team in cap hell may want to dump... (Think a big contract in Tampa Bay for Hutton's RFA rights, for instance).

But your numbers seem realistic. Especially Schenn's. Schenn at 1 year and near the minimum is perfect. A show me contract to see if he can continue what he did in the tail end of last season next season.

The Canucks need to put the brakes on the new league standard. And set a NEW new standard.

Insist on show me bridge deals for young guys coming off ELC's.

Look at the teams going hogwild with these big nonbridge deals on their young guys.
CAP HELL CITY.

I discussed this in a thread back in September or so. What Brock did this season was best case scenario for the team. He didn't go crazy scoring goals but showed a little maturation and kept on pace from his 1st season.  He didn't regress either.  So, in my opinion he's earned a nice juicy bridge contract. But not the bigtime. Yet.

If Brock had blown up the league this year, we'd for sure have to give him the sky.  And then he is a UFA 2 or 3 years earlier than if he gets a bridge deal.  With how things panned out, he will be 23-24 after a bridge, and then we can lock him as a career Canuck, if he and the team wants this.

Two years, 6mil.  SHOW ME. Then eight years if he blows up the league with Elias. Three years 6.5 is probably best case scenario bridge deal.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Quantum said:

You don't sign Edler for 3 years. 2 years max. I'm inclined to let Edler walk.

Matters little the term or amount.  It's the clause (NMC) that you want to avoid.  If you let him walk, how do your propose we replace him?  Top UFA D will demand top dollar & trade protection (especially when they owe zero loyalty to the club).  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Please no...

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1