The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Poll: Should the Canucks sign Brock Boeser for 8 years

Rate this topic

Brock Boeser Contract  

248 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm not in favour of foregoing bridge contracts - for a range of reasons I'm not going to repeat here.

Bridge deal - not a penny more than Horvat.

Players don't earn veteran contracts in their ELCs imo, period.  Retain more cap flexibility, and a greater/longer window to competitiveness - do not get caught up in the trend that is eliminating the bridge deals - it's a bad precedent.

Buy more of Boeser's UFA years after the bridge. 

the nhl economy sees things differently unfortunately. 

if I'm boeser, I don't take one penny or one year less than what nylander got, prorated to an $83 mil cap: $7.2 mil x 6 years is the baseline. 

2 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

... and extremely expensive. Like if he does produce 40-40 for a couple of years, I don't think there will be much chance of signing him for a mere $8M. 

Nope.  He will get Stone/Panarin type money if he manages that, and the incentive will be there too.  MTL gambled and lost on both Price and Subban during their bridge deals...cost them huge...

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Hey if Benning can sign Boeser to 6.5 x 8 then power to him.  How’d Kucherovs bridge contract work out for him anyways?  Add 2 million to his gross pay and that’s what 28 other teams would have to pay to make his current contract the same and you can bet TB wishes they paid him 7 x 8 when they could have....And you can bet McKinnon wants a re-do of his last contract...and can’t wait for free agency, Pastrnak to a lesser degree.   It’s all about paying for the UFA years (not paying for potential), otherwise 6.5 x 5 is about what we will see with Brock.   If we want him for longer it will go up each year we want him (6,7,8).   The cap is slowing down (more than 10% a year the first decade) but its still going up and up, wages will be a lot higher in five years then they are now.  

7.5-8 is the new 6 million, which is what Eberle and pals got (eventually Hall won a Hart) it’s what happens when the cap goes from 60ish-80ish million. 

Well I was advocating 6x4 or 6.5x5. if Boeser becomes the prolific goal scorer in that time and remains relatively healthy, then I'd gladly pay the price to keep him. I believe if Boeser hit UFA today, in a bidding war, he might be able to nab a 8x8 (I know the max term is 7, but for this discussion sake). Why would we be paying him his UFA market value over his RFA years? It's like saying we are overpaying him now by 1.5 million a season over the first 5 years in hopes to lower his cost in the UFA years. Take that extra 1.5 million over 5 years and put it onto his last 3 years and it's suggested that we are paying his at over 10 million a season as a UFA. He's a long ways away from being a 10 million dollar player and we are banking on him doing so. When you get paid in advance, you're less motivated to push yourself to that next level.

More examples, Jake Guentzel did a 6x5 contract which buys 2 years of UFA. He just put up a 40 goal season. He had one off season which likely lowered his negotiations, but his playoff numbers speak for themselves as well. Seguin signed a 6 year deal after his ELC for 5.75 million annually before his big payout.

6x6 was the previous norm for "top end" players and I've taken into account for inflation which is why I would offer 6 million over 4 years allowing him an earlier payout should he prove him self or 6.5 over 5 years. I don't see the indication that 7.5-8 is the new norm for what Boeser has shown so far. Just because Toronto and Edmonton have overpaid their guys (and look at the cap trouble they're in) doesn't mean the league should follow suit. There are plenty of examples of guys that sign to their current value (as an RFA) and play above their pay because they are motivated in doing so. I hope Boeser plays to at least an 8 million dollar level player at some point, but he's not there yet for this next contract IMO.

On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 6:11 PM, Provost said:

Either a short a bridge or long term I can handle.

A 4-5 year contract is the no-go zone for me.  5 years takes him exactly to free agency, and 4 years takes him close enough that he can file for arbitration and end up on a 1 year arbitrator awarded contract that takes him to free agency.

The Canucks and Boeser will negotiate before the contract is up. If it's determined that he wants to move on, then we trade him as he will have no clauses in his deal which means a bidding war for his services. I'm not worried about it taking him to UFA. Plus I just don't get the feeling that he's the type of character that is looking to get out of here ASAP. He genuinely seems to like playing here and as long as we are a competitive team, I see no reason for him wanting to simply bolt.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, Nylander hasn't earned a Nylander level contract. But IMO Brock has earned it much more than WN has. Aside from the fact that WN is soft as warm butter, Brock is so much more productive than WN that they are not even in the same class.

Brock's goals per game and points per game are so far superior that no rational person would even consider trading Brock for Nylander. Even though Brock is a winger and WN can play centre.

This is key for those that think Nylander is the new benchmark. Nylander simply wasn't worth this contract and he held out for it and it even affected his season upon returning. Is Boeser going to hold out or will he want to play and earn himself an even bigger payout in his next deal? With that said, Nylander while having a lesser offensive output per game has at least remained healthy and can play center and is actually decent in the faceoff dot. These are added value items and still Nylander is overpaid for it. I disagree that Boeser has earned it more, but Boeser has shown he can be okay in the faceoff dot, but not sure he would be cut out to be a center. Boeser has so much more he needs to prove before a huge payout and a bridge should be what he is after. If he feels he can demonstrate that he's an 8 million dollar guy within 2 years, then sign a 2 year deal. I personally think he needs at least 4 years and he could become that 8 million dollar guy or even more.

39 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Nope.  He will get Stone/Panarin type money if he manages that, and the incentive will be there too.  MTL gambled and lost on both Price and Subban during their bridge deals...cost them huge...

Stone can play defense exceptionally well. Panarin has proven he can carry an offense on his own (he was miles ahead of his teammates in Columbus). These guys will be worth their 9.5 million - 10 million dollar contracts (as UFA market value). Boeser at 8 million buying 5 years of RFA contract and in hopes that he becomes a 40-40 guy is a recipe for disaster especially when it sets the precedent from within the team itself. Even with Boeser as a 40-40 type guy for a couple of seasons may not even net him the 9.5-10 million mark considering that last year there were 25 players over PPG with only 15 players in the league paid over 9.5 million currently and this is only looking at points alone. An 8 million dollar contract puts him in the top 30 paid players and while we hope he becomes that, he simply isn't yet. The amount we would be "saving" for his UFA years (which really won't be much) will simply be spent on overpaying him during his RFA years. By overpaying him in his RFA years, it'll mean the team cap structure will be messed up and we will be struggling with the cap much sooner than expected.

1 hour ago, tas said:

the nhl economy sees things differently unfortunately. 

if I'm boeser, I don't take one penny or one year less than what nylander got, prorated to an $83 mil cap: $7.2 mil x 6 years is the baseline. 

Aside from Nylander, what other players have over-demanded? One player doesn't make the new norm and he held out to get what he wants. Are all RFAs simply going to hold out now as the new norm? Toronto who is likely going to be in cap hell should not be the example teams follow. The players should see this as well and decide if it's more about them or more about a winning team. It can be a mix of both, but that's where the negotiations come in. No one is asking Boeser to take a 3 million dollar 6 year deal, but he simply isn't worth the 8x8 as some suggested or even the 7.2x6 as you're suggesting. There are plenty of other examples that would be far more in line to what Boeser should be getting.

I like Boeser, as a player and off the ice. The guy oozes what being a Canuck is all about. That being said I don’t think he has earned an 8X8 contract. Bo is the straw that stirs the drink and he didn’t get 8. Brock hasn’t played 82 games yet (not saying it’s his fault or injury prone, just the fact that injuries have occurred). I am a believer that great teams can be built with a roster of people payed what they are worth.

A balance from top to bottom must be made. For example if BB is payed 8 million to score 60 points someone else is going to have to overperform their contract in order for the team to succeed. I see no problem in offering him the same contract as Bo. They bring different tools but still fill their role well. If he is as good as hoped he will still be a steal for a couple years and then be available for a big pay day as a UFA. If the league is getting younger, ELC’s are what make or break teams then why pay $$$ for a couple extra years down the road. Turnover is important to a team, it is important that we don’t handcuff ourselves with too many over priced or over term contracts. Same reason I don’t want EK here.

2 hours ago, theo5789 said:

Aside from Nylander, what other players have over-demanded? One player doesn't make the new norm and he held out to get what he wants. Are all RFAs simply going to hold out now as the new norm? Toronto who is likely going to be in cap hell should not be the example teams follow. The players should see this as well and decide if it's more about them or more about a winning team. It can be a mix of both, but that's where the negotiations come in. No one is asking Boeser to take a 3 million dollar 6 year deal, but he simply isn't worth the 8x8 as some suggested or even the 7.2x6 as you're suggesting. There are plenty of other examples that would be far more in line to what Boeser should be getting.

nik ehlers signed his $6 mil x 7 year contract after 40 goals (0.26 gpg) and 102 points (0.66 ppg) in his first 2 seasons (154 games). at the time of the signing, the cap was $75 mil, of which ehlers' $6 mil accounted for 8%. that said, the contract didn't come into effect until this year, with a $79.5 mil cap (7.5%).

jack eichel signed his $10 mil x 8 year contract (13.3% when signed, 12.6% when it went into effect) at basically the exact same time. at that time, he had accumulated 48 goals (0.34 gpg) and 113 points (0.80 ppg) through his first 142 games over 2 seasons. yes, there's a premium because he's a centre and a 2nd overall pick and a "potential" (at the time) franchise player. 

brock boeser, after his first two seasons (adding in the 9 games at the end of '16-'17 for simplicity's sake), has 59 goals (0.42 gpg) and 116 points (0.83 ppg) in 140 games. 

8% of the current $79.5 mil cap would be $6.36 mil. 7.5% of the impending $83 mil cap would be $6.23 mil.  

13.3% of the current $79.5 mil cap would be $10.6 mil. 12.6% of the impending $83 mil cap would be $10.46 mil.

boeser deserves considerably more than ehlers based on numbers alone, not to mention the emphasis on goal scoring, character, importance to the team, potential, and achievements (calder runner up -- ehlers wasn't in the top 10; all star selection; all star game mvp).

boeser, it could be argued, deserves as much (or more) than eichel based on the numbers, but when you add in the potential, league perception, draft position, and importance to the team, things away more in eichel's favour. but not by a ton imo. 

I would love for boeser to sign for less, obviously, but there's very little reason or incentive for him to do so. young players get paid now. I really think most people here struggle to form an accurate view of true "market value."

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

21 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Actually, Nylander hasn't earned a Nylander level contract. But IMO Brock has earned it much more than WN has. Aside from the fact that WN is soft as warm butter, Brock is so much more productive than WN that they are not even in the same class.

Brock's goals per game and points per game are so far superior that no rational person would even consider trading Brock for Nylander. Even though Brock is a winger and WN can play centre.

Well, Nylander had back to back 61 point seasons.......Skinner has only hit the 60's twice and looks to be signing for $9m per.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, tas said:

nik ehlers signed his $6 mil x 7 year contract after 40 goals (0.26 gpg) and 102 points (0.66 ppg) in his first 2 seasons (154 games). at the time of the signing, the cap was $75 mil, of which ehlers' $6 mil accounted for 8%. that said, the contract didn't come into effect until this year, with a $79.5 mil cap (7.5%).

jack eichel signed his $10 mil x 8 year contract (13.3% when signed, 12.6% when it went into effect) at basically the exact same time. at that time, he had accumulated 48 goals (0.34 gpg) and 113 points (0.80 ppg) through his first 142 games over 2 seasons. yes, there's a premium because he's a centre and a 2nd overall pick and a "potential" (at the time) franchise player. 

brock boeser, after his first two seasons (adding in the 9 games at the end of '16-'17 for simplicity's sake), has 59 goals (0.42 gpg) and 116 points (0.83 ppg) in 140 games. 

8% of the current $79.5 mil cap would be $6.36 mil. 7.5% of the impending $83 mil cap would be $6.23 mil.  

13.3% of the current $79.5 mil cap would be $10.6 mil. 12.6% of the impending $83 mil cap would be $10.46 mil.

boeser deserves considerably more than ehlers based on numbers alone, not to mention the emphasis on goal scoring, character, importance to the team, potential, and achievements (calder runner up -- ehlers wasn't in the top 10; all star selection; all star game mvp).

boeser, it could be argued, deserves as much (or more) than eichel based on the numbers, but when you add in the potential, league perception, draft position, and importance to the team, things away more in eichel's favour. but not by a ton imo. 

I would love for boeser to sign for less, obviously, but there's very little reason or incentive for him to do so. young players get paid now. I really think most people here struggle to form an accurate view of true "market value."

The problem is Boeser has played two shortened seasons. It puts into question his long term health (which would be a risk to a long term contract) and the fact that we don't know what his production would be like given that he played out those games. Perhaps he hits a slump or perhaps he flourishes. This to me is why for both sides a 7-8 year deal is likely out of the question.

So it comes down to RFA years. Those two players have inflated deals due to buying UFA years. Eichel I believe is also overpaid and he plays in a different position, so it's harder to compare to a winger like Boeser. Eichel plays 20 mins a night and focuses on defense more with some secondary PK time. He is their franchise center whether he truly is or not.

I'm not expecting Boeser to "sign for less", but take a shorter term deal and his current RFA value. And if he exceeds it, then he will be paid handsomely after.

I guess we will see what the conclusion is when this all plays out.

• Upvote 1

On 5/31/2019 at 12:34 AM, theo5789 said:

The problem is Boeser has played two shortened seasons. It puts into question his long term health (which would be a risk to a long term contract) and the fact that we don't know what his production would be like given that he played out those games. Perhaps he hits a slump or perhaps he flourishes. This to me is why for both sides a 7-8 year deal is likely out of the question.

So it comes down to RFA years. Those two players have inflated deals due to buying UFA years. Eichel I believe is also overpaid and he plays in a different position, so it's harder to compare to a winger like Boeser. Eichel plays 20 mins a night and focuses on defense more with some secondary PK time. He is their franchise center whether he truly is or not.

I'm not expecting Boeser to "sign for less", but take a shorter term deal and his current RFA value. And if he exceeds it, then he will be paid handsomely after.

I guess we will see what the conclusion is when this all plays out.

The market is changing.  Philadelphia have a few RFAs of their own like Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny.  Fletcher has had preliminary discussions with their agents - he says this to the Flyers website:

The sense I'm getting right now from the player perspective, from the [agent] perspective, I think there's a sense that the market for young players may be shifting and we've seen some contracts over the past couple years that have been market changers and I think they feel that will continue this summer. So I think there's much more of a wait-and-see approach from the player's side. My expectation is, and it's not that much more unusual than most years, my assumption is none of them will get done quickly, but it will get done. We'll just patiently go about it. We've had good dialogue with all the agents. I think we have a sense of what they want to do, but I think there's a sense from the other side, for all of them, this will be a market-changing summer, and I don't think anybody wants to get in front of that."

• Upvote 1

On 5/30/2019 at 2:16 PM, theo5789 said:

Eichel at 10...heck one could argue McDavid at 12.5...or Mathews at 11.6 (wow what and overpayment, his stats don’t even put him in the top 5 centers maybe not even top ten which leads to this)

Point is getting paid (94 points as mostly their second line center)

Aho is getting paid

Marner is getting paid (tied Sundin 94 points, arguably their best player too) 

Rantanens contract is going to blow McKinnons out of the water (verbatim SN recent news) 

MT and his 34 goals and 77 points as a second liner is getting paid

And SN rumours out of both sides of the camp is Boesers contract will be somewhere around 7.3 x 7 add a year and 7.5-8.     Just right around where he’s worth given the comparables,  no clauses.  And Tarasenkos contract now would be 8.5 x 8 with the clauses so there is a precedent for this type of deal, almost identical stats going into RFA contract etc.  

We are just going to have to accept that 8 million is the new 6 million.  McDavid opened the floodgates and every contract since that has been inflated to match it.

5 hours ago, mll said:

The market is changing.  Philadelphia have a few RFAs of their own like Sanheim, Provorov, Konecny.  Fletcher has had preliminary discussions with their agents - he says this to the Flyers website:

The sense I'm getting right now from the player perspective, from the [agent] perspective, I think there's a sense that the market for young players may be shifting and we've seen some contracts over the past couple years that have been market changers and I think they feel that will continue this summer. So I think there's much more of a wait-and-see approach from the player's side. My expectation is, and it's not that much more unusual than most years, my assumption is none of them will get done quickly, but it will get done. We'll just patiently go about it. We've had good dialogue with all the agents. I think we have a sense of what they want to do, but I think there's a sense from the other side, for all of them, this will be a market-changing summer, and I don't think anybody wants to get in front of that."

Good insight.  Points contract might get done first which they can do for less than other teams given no-state tax and their appearances of signing team friendly contracts that aren’t really team friendly their market value after taxes.   Stamkos is making 10plus million in all the Canadian cities and CALi teams,  Kucherov 11plus, so they can sign Point at 8 x 7 and look like superhero (over 9 in most other cities).   

TO has expressed they don’t want to wait so I could see them throwing yet another wrench in the spokes of every other GMs wheels...to go with Nylanders and  AM contract (and to think that 11.6 was a “discount” given its only five years? Wow what would 8 have cost them?).   So Marner 10 x 8 is looming strong.

What will Rantanen, Aho, MT and Boeser sign for?  Not less than 7....not more than 9....somewhere in between eventually.  Thank you Dubas, and Eichel and Tarasenko, and Nylander etc etc.

6 hours ago, mll said:

That's funny that the agents all can seem to get together and force a market. Yet the GMs can't all get together to mitigate this issue because it takes a couple of boneheaded GMs to set the "precedent" and all other reasonable deals cannot be discussed anymore.

Lockout is looming large.

The key will not be handcuffing this team with bad ufa contracts learn from TO and others. Build through the draft and for the long term no older damaged bandaid fixes. (Karlson)

8 for 7.5 would be a fantastic deal for the Canucks I could see him asking for more but with the way the league is going 8 for 8 still would be a bargain even he continues to produce and get better. 

43 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Eichel at 10...heck one could argue McDavid at 12.5...or Mathews at 11.6 (wow what and overpayment, his stats don’t even put him in the top 5 centers maybe not even top ten which leads to this)

Point is getting paid (94 points as mostly their second line center)

Aho is getting paid

Marner is getting paid (tied Sundin 94 points, arguably their best player too) 

Rantanens contract is going to blow McKinnons out of the water (verbatim SN recent news) 

MT and his 34 goals and 77 points as a second liner is getting paid

And SN rumours out of both sides of the camp is Boesers contract will be somewhere around 7.3 x 7 add a year and 7.5-8.     Just right around where he’s worth given the comparables,  no clauses.  And Tarasenkos contract now would be 8.5 x 8 with the clauses so there is a precedent for this type of deal, almost identical stats going into RFA contract etc.  

We are just going to have to accept that 8 million is the new 6 million.  McDavid opened the floodgates and every contract since that has been inflated to match it.

Aside from Tarasenko, all mentioned there are either generational/franchise centers. I agree they were all overpaid, but I believe there are under a different standard. Tarasenko put up 73 points in 77 games before his mega deal.

All the other wingers in the group are yet to be seen what they will get. Marner will get paid because Toronto set their mark and look at the hell they are in, and others should follow suit? Someone mention Tkachuk is looking at 6.75-8 million long term. I love Boeser, but Tkachuk provides more layers to his game and just put up 77 points in 80 games as a recently in a season where he turned 21, so hard to see Boeser earning more than what he would get. Rantanen is the interesting case because similarly to us, they have a player signed to an incredibly good deal and it's hard to justify him being better than him at this point. He will get paid more based on the market, but should be brought down a bit because Rantanen isn't significantly better than MacKinnon and I'd say MacKinnon is the driver of that offense more so than Rantanen.

We certainly shouldn't have to accept that to be the new norm, but it'll depend on how it plays out this offseason and who breaks first.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Aside from Tarasenko, all mentioned there are either generational/franchise centers. I agree they were all overpaid, but I believe there are under a different standard. Tarasenko put up 73 points in 77 games before his mega deal.

All the other wingers in the group are yet to be seen what they will get. Marner will get paid because Toronto set their mark and look at the hell they are in, and others should follow suit? Someone mention Tkachuk is looking at 6.75-8 million long term. I love Boeser, but Tkachuk provides more layers to his game and just put up 77 points in 80 games as a recently in a season where he turned 21, so hard to see Boeser earning more than what he would get. Rantanen is the interesting case because similarly to us, they have a player signed to an incredibly good deal and it's hard to justify him being better than him at this point. He will get paid more based on the market, but should be brought down a bit because Rantanen isn't significantly better than MacKinnon and I'd say MacKinnon is the driver of that offense more so than Rantanen.

We certainly shouldn't have to accept that to be the new norm, but it'll depend on how it plays out this offseason and who breaks first.

I don’t disagree with any of this, and for a couple years I’ve been whining/parroting Burke his second contracts are getting out of hand...however it appears this is becoming the norm.  Players and GMs alike know that their best seasons are more often then not during their RFA years and agents are cashing in on this unfortunately.  Tavares signed at around five his last contract and Karlsson was a perrenial Norris finalist or winner but not the best paid during his contract etc...I don’t like it at all...

48 minutes ago, IBatch said:

I don’t disagree with any of this, and for a couple years I’ve been whining/parroting Burke his second contracts are getting out of hand...however it appears this is becoming the norm.  Players and GMs alike know that their best seasons are more often then not during their RFA years and agents are cashing in on this unfortunately.  Tavares signed at around five his last contract and Karlsson was a perrenial Norris finalist or winner but not the best paid during his contract etc...I don’t like it at all...

The only justification I can see here is that maybe these days, the best years are coming from the RFA times, so they may be deservingly justified to be paid well. But then the UFA market needs to get back in check if players are indeed declining past 30 and players need to accept lower payouts at that point. Unfortunately, no one will agree to that either. The reality is that during the RFA years, most players will still be developing and growing before really seeing a final product. There may indeed be some players at the absolute top of their game at a young age and are deserving of a big deal, but it's quite uncommon. Players (RFAs) shouldn't be paid for what their potential may be as it inflates their dues during the growing period which really would mitigate any savings should the player exceed beyond the contract. If young players feel they can take their game to another level in a short time, then sign a short bridge and prove it.

I don't like the way things are trending, but it's even worse to just accept it despite it being such a negative. The NHLPA can't be happy either if this is the norm because players will be getting pushed out of the league far sooner who are actually decent players in the league only to be replaced with budget players or players being forced to take a massive paycut in their older years to remain in the league. The league can't be happy because even though these young players are what today's game is trending to, it is creating massive cap problems that is going to catch up soon where the quality of the league is down and you'll see even more plugs getting signed and taking out said top players only to have these young players deteriorate faster or not be in the games where paying customers are expecting. The only beneficiaries are the RFAs despite all their limitations in doing so. Unfortunately there are a few poor GMs running the show that seem to set the precedent and the agents can band together, but the GMs and executives cannot and panic. There have been a few bad deals of late, but Dubas should've sent the message and let Nylander sit the year especially considering there team wasn't missing him at all.

• Like 1