The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Go! Canucks Go! (Proposals)

Goldobin 1.0M + Tanev 4.4M @ 50%           for           Marleau 6.2M LW/C + Kapenen 4.5M RW + 2019 2nd (TOR)

Virtanen RW 1.2M + 2021 1st          for           Barrie RHD (COL) 5.5M

2020 2nd + 2019 3rd         for        Colin Miller RHD (VGS) 3.9M

Ben Hutton LHD 2.8M         for          Jujhar Khaira (EDM) 1.0M

UFA  signing       Ferland LW/RW (5 years @ 5.0M)  

IN...………...28.3M

OUT...…...…. 9.4M

2019-2020 Roster                                                                                                   Prospects

Ferland       Pettersson       Boeser                                                                                   2019 1st  (Boldy/Krebs/Newhook)

Persson       Horvat            Kapenen             Motte                                                           Woo

Roussel       Gaudette        McEwen             Lievo                                                            Madden

Khaira           Beagle          Schaller              Marleau                                                        DiPietro

Lind

Edler             Barrie                         Schenn                                                        2019 2nd (Van) (Korczak)

Hughes         Miller                          Sautner                                                       2019 2nd (Tor) (Grewe)

Juolevi          Stecher                                                                                          Jasek

Gadjovich

Markstrom                                                                                                   Lockwood

Demko                                                                                                      Rathbone

Traded...…….Sutter, Eriksson, Baertschi, Spooner, Biega  = (17.6M)…………………….2020 picks??????? 3rd's and later

Edited by janisahockeynut

Not sure Colorado values a 2021 1st rounder given they'll be a playoff contender around then. They'd probably want Stecher in that package too. Especially since for all they know that 1st will be garbage cause we are gonna be flirting with the playoffs around then too. Something tells me a Barrie deal died when we selected Podkolzin. Colorado probably wanted more than we were willing to part with. If that Juolevi, Virtanen, 10th overall deal is even partly true Benning gave them a hard no. I say we laugh in their face next summer when we sign Barrie for "free", IE not giving them anything.

If I am Toronto I probably ask for Jake in that package instead of Goldy. Goldy is a lot of what they already have. They could use a guy with a bit more bite to compliment the scoring talent they already have. And they will need to replace the two way play of Kapanen. Jake does that better than Goldy does. Although could also argue Granlund could fill that bottom 6 role as well but his value is low. 

Edmonton wants cap out, especially cap they have used on their overpaid d-men. Adding another 2.5-3mil d-man probably isn't in their plans.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, 6string said:

Ferland is my only F/A interest.

Colin Miller to trade for.

The Canucks quickly become a heavier team to play against.

Miller is on my wishlist too. Ferland is interesting. He's got some injury question marks but him alongside Petey and Boeser would be pretty deadly. If I had to choose though I'd lead more towards Anders Lee than Ferland but Ferland will likely be the cheaper option.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Not sure Colorado values a 2021 1st rounder given they'll be a playoff contender around then. They'd probably want Stecher in that package too. Especially since for all they know that 1st will be garbage cause we are gonna be flirting with the playoffs around then too. Something tells me a Barrie deal died when we selected Podkolzin. Colorado probably wanted more than we were willing to part with. If that Juolevi, Virtanen, 10th overall deal is even partly true Benning gave them a hard no. I say we laugh in their face next summer when we sign Barrie for "free", IE not giving them anything.

If I am Toronto I probably ask for Jake in that package instead of Goldy. Goldy is a lot of what they already have. They could use a guy with a bit more bite to compliment the scoring talent they already have. And they will need to replace the two way play of Kapanen. Jake does that better than Goldy does. Although could also argue Granlund could fill that bottom 6 role as well but his value is low. 

Edmonton wants cap out, especially cap they have used on their overpaid d-men. Adding another 2.5-3mil d-man probably isn't in their plans.

I am feeling much better after my meds kicked in and our first round pick was made...…...I darn near didn't make it

It will be interesting to see how Toronto wiggles out of this...…….I am sure it is not my proposal, but no way, I give them anymore than what was offered......we shall see

I would be happy with Miller and Ferland as a start...…..as Grinder has suggested.....the Canucks have too many players to trade in my proposal...…..I get that...lol

It was therapy ….what can I say!

• Upvote 2

You’re like a modern day alchemist. Constantly looking for ways to turn lead into gold.  The ideas are seldom realistic and more often than not, they blow up in your face. But bless you, you keep trying. Kinda like Wile E. Coyote.  If nothing else it’s entertaining. Lol. 

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You’re like a modern day alchemist. Constantly looking for ways to turn lead into gold.  The ideas are seldom realistic and more often than not, they blow up in your face. But bless you, you keep trying. Kinda like Wile E. Coyote.  If nothing else it’s entertaining. Lol. 

Coming from you Qwijibo, that is like the nicest thing you have ever said to me :wub:

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I’m trying not to take everything so seriously. Lol. It’s a long summer. 

Seriously thought...……..

If you watched the Draft on TV today...……..then you were reminded about what Bourkie did to get both Sedin's...…..

"IF" You had never heard about what he did, and I suggested it, you would have said I was off my rocker

The point to that is, that you never know, and CDC has to remember that, when shutting down a trade proposal.....

As I said to Grinder...…...don't tell me what is wrong with my proposal, tell me what your idea is...…...

And my point to him was ………...Toronto has to do something, and there is not that many teams willing to buy players

So, how does Toronto propose to get their cap down? I suggest they will be discounting value, when making those trades

Do you think a owner would endorse a player move that wasn't done in the best interest of his own team? I don't 

this is a competitive business, and multi million dollar favours do not exist...…….

Because when you have someone over a barrel……...you do not spare the rod......you give it to him, hard!

So, If you go over to HFBoards and look at the proposals to get Toronto out of their mess, and take away the one made by Leaf fans

you will not see one proposal that is even in skill...…….other fan bases all expect to give it to the Leafs

That is what my proposal suggests...………...no favours!

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Seriously thought...……..

If you watched the Draft on TV today...……..then you were reminded about what Bourkie did to get both Sedin's...…..

"IF" You had never heard about what he did, and I suggested it, you would have said I was off my rocker

The point to that is, that you never know, and CDC has to remember that, when shutting down a trade proposal.....

As I said to Grinder...…...don't tell me what is wrong with my proposal, tell me what your idea is...…...

And my point to him was ………...Toronto has to do something, and there is not that many teams willing to buy players

So, how does Toronto propose to get their cap down? I suggest they will be discounting value, when making those trades

Do you think a owner would endorse a player move that wasn't done in the best interest of his own team? I don't 

this is a competitive business, and multi million dollar favours do not exist...…….

Because when you have someone over a barrel……...you do not spare the rod......you give it to him, hard!

So, If you go over to HFBoards and look at the proposals to get Toronto out of their mess, and take away the one made by Leaf fans

you will not see one proposal that is even in skill...…….other fan bases all expect to give it to the Leafs

That is what my proposal suggests...………...no favours!

Here’s the thing.  99% of the proposals made here and HF are always heavily slanted in favour of one team.  That’s all fine and good, but it takes two to tangle. Far to often favs make a proposal with the assumption that the opposing gm

has only 2 options. Take the slantec deal or somehow suffer the consequences. In the real world these gm’s aren’t limited to dealing with a single team. And as soon as more than 1 other GM has interest in a player the concept of “negative value” goes out the window.

Yes. Toronto has a cap issue.  But people overplay how much a GM will pay to solve a problem.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat.  People expecting to get an incredibly valuable “sweetener” for helping to alleviate a cap problem are probably fooling themselves.  Look back at cap deans from the past.  Teams seem to get out of trouble relatively cheaply. For every team looking to dump a bad contract. There’s another team trying to find an affordable way to reach the cap floor. 

There are two other issues that plague proposals.  The first is homer glasses.  Wildly overvaluing home team assets while undervaluing the other trans assets. Every fan base does it

The other big mistake is totally ignoring the other teams needs.  Or somehow manufacturing a reason that an opposing GM would accept s trade that clearly doesn’t really benefit his team. (My favourite is “GM suchnsuch is desperate to make the playoffs so he’ll accept our broken down player who used to be good in exchange for their top young prospect”). Unless you’re intimately acquainted with the other team odds are you don’t really understand what their team needs are. Or what their motivations going forward are. I appreciate mll’s response to a lot of the proposals because he takes the time to find quotes from the other teams management that often clearly discount whatever reason the op has come up to justify his/her lopsided trade.  

Lately I’ve just been trying to only interject when someone suggests something that can’t actually be done (is buying out a 35+ contract to get rid of the cap hiit, or having the team buy out a players KHL contract.). Or. Try to play devils advocate and ask why, logically, an opposing GM would take a deal of 

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Here’s the thing.  99% of the proposals made here and HF are always heavily slanted in favour of one team.  That’s all fine and good, but it takes two to tangle. Far to often favs make a proposal with the assumption that the opposing gm

has only 2 options. Take the slantec deal or somehow suffer the consequences. In the real world these gm’s aren’t limited to dealing with a single team. And as soon as more than 1 other GM has interest in a player the concept of “negative value” goes out the window.

Yes. Toronto has a cap issue.  But people overplay how much a GM will pay to solve a problem.  There’s more than one way to skin a cat.  People expecting to get an incredibly valuable “sweetener” for helping to alleviate a cap problem are probably fooling themselves.  Look back at cap deans from the past.  Teams seem to get out of trouble relatively cheaply. For every team looking to dump a bad contract. There’s another team trying to find an affordable way to reach the cap floor. 

There are two other issues that plague proposals.  The first is homer glasses.  Wildly overvaluing home team assets while undervaluing the other trans assets. Every fan base does it

The other big mistake is totally ignoring the other teams needs.  Or somehow manufacturing a reason that an opposing GM would accept s trade that clearly doesn’t really benefit his team. (My favourite is “GM suchnsuch is desperate to make the playoffs so he’ll accept our broken down player who used to be good in exchange for their top young prospect”). Unless you’re intimately acquainted with the other team odds are you don’t really understand what their team needs are. Or what their motivations going forward are. I appreciate mll’s response to a lot of the proposals because he takes the time to find quotes from the other teams management that often clearly discount whatever reason the op has come up to justify his/her lopsided trade.  

Lately I’ve just been trying to only interject when someone suggests something that can’t actually be done (is buying out a 35+ contract to get rid of the cap hiit, or having the team buy out a players KHL contract.). Or. Try to play devils advocate and ask why, logically, an opposing GM would take a deal of 

Here is the thing.......

There are plenty of teams that can not make trades this year, as they are over cap.................I think my estimate, I thought 7 or 8

There are also another 10 that are very close to the cap, and god know how many are restricted by their own internal cap

Then there are the teams that are out, just because they are flush in the positions that are being offered....aka Nashville not wanting Dmen for example

As well as teams that just do not like the players offered................

So, when you get right down to it, there just are not that many teams able or wanting to take high end or mid valued contracts.......or even LTIR's

Admittedly, there is more than 2 or 3 teams able and willing, but more often or not, some of those teams are restricted by future contracts, just like the Canucks must watch their surplus cap, having to sign Pettersson and Hughes in the next couple of years, so sometimes it just isn't as easy as calling up the first 5 teams in the phone book to find a buyer.

Secondly, and my earlier point is, that the lessens learned from a trade like the Sedin's trade in their draft year, should be applied..........one never knows......

Lastly, and I do understand what you mean, and agree to some extent, yes their are fans here that have rose colored glasses on, but equally there are fans on here that are very negative towards Canuck players, and have very little value for them..............

I would ask this, and I think I am a student of the game, so I think my eyes are as good as most. Why when healthy, do the Canucks beat top end teams, and when having injuries drop in the standings..............well firstly, we have a very young top end group, with few top end replacements for injury replacement, secondly, our defensemen were limited to Edler and Tanev as 2/3 types Dmen, with their replacements more 3/4. MDZ and Poo-a-lot, were our go to replacements, but when they were traded or sat, and Gunbranson traded, Hutton and Sketcher, did very well in minutes more suited for a more seasoned pair of higher end defensemen. I would say they both conducted themselves like 3/4 type Dmen when pressed, later in the season. 

But what we do have IMO, is a lot of mid-type players forced to play above their pay grade, making them look far worst than they are. This can also be said to some extent of Edler and Tanev, who if given 2nd pairing responsibilities, would look very good, but since we have no better, they are forced into top pairing responsibilities.........None of this actually devalues those players, whether they be forward or defensive players. But the nay sayer's, cry like babies on here

As for buying out Russian contracts. You are quite right, a team can not buy them out, but the agent can, legally, so even though the team can not, it can happen, IMO. So, in the case of Tryamkin, his agent "Diamond" could advance him the money to do so, if he so choose.

As for the +35 contracts, I agree completely with you, and may have fallen into that trap once myself...............

PS........Plz do not feel this was an attack, I am was simply giving you my view point...............this exchange, I enjoy, albeit, not so much at 1 am........

Cheers!