The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Winnipeg Jets window has closed

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm wondering if the day will come when the Canucks are faced with having to lose one (or more) of their stars to fit under the cap. Will they eventually be able to pay Horvat, Boeser, Pettersson, Podkolzin, Hoglander, Hughes, Juolevi, Woo and Demko? I think there could be some very tough decisions down the road.

Canucks are definitely in the path to cap hell, but they can avoid it if they are smart. If they can cut Eriksson, all the bad money will be gone in the next 2 seasons (save for Myers and beagle, but I think both will still be contributors). From there, canucks have to be very prudent. I look at contracts like kapenan, kerfoot, and Johnson in the leafs, or Acari and Heinon in Boston, or even Virtanen and Leivo here. Those are the types of contracts to fill out your roster once the core is in place. 

Winnipeg has perrault and little and kulak taking up millions that could be replaced with young players on bridge contracts. That’s what the canucks have to avoid when Pettersson and Hughes come off their ELC’s in 2 years

It wasn't long ago that everyone was worshipping at the altar of Chevaldayoff. Praising him for patience and letting his roster develop. Now where are they? 7 years of doing very little waiting for development, 2 years of flame out playoffs and now cap misery.

Canucks fans take heed.

This is a prime time to try to make a deal with WPG I would think. The Jets lost a lot through free agency. I don't think the fans in WPG will be happy at all, that they finally get a good team built for the playoffs in place and the D is decimated the following season. Now they've got to try and convince Laine to stay. That team needs D badly, an I would think Benning would be talking with Chevy. Perreault could possibly be a decent fit, but he's not that big, is 31 and is more of a 3rd liner. Canucks have too many of these guys already. They need a youngish Top 6 player (Ehlers, Connor).  

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

This is a prime time to try to make a deal with WPG I would think. The Jets lost a lot through free agency. I don't think the fans in WPG will be happy at all, that they finally get a good team built for the playoffs in place and the D is decimated the following season. Now they've got to try and convince Laine to stay. That team needs D badly, an I would think Benning would be talking with Chevy. Perreault could possibly be a decent fit, but he's not that big, is 31 and is more of a 3rd liner. Canucks have too many of these guys already. They need a youngish Top 6 player (Ehlers, Connor).  

Would rather do tanev @ 50% retained for just a 2nd and a 3rd or something. Maybe take kulikov back and get a 1st from them

On 7/5/2019 at 6:31 AM, Hutton Wink said:

Would anyone be shocked if Laine receives an 8-digit offer sheet and the Jets don't match?  Or perhaps, they then work out a trade and get 2-3 prime assets and picks in return?  The latter could really help replenish what they lost.

Honestly Laine isn’t that great of a playoff performer. The Jets should sell now on him and get some good assets back. I don’t think enough GM’s stay out ahead of the curve in situations like this...

Edited by poet
Spelling error

Some would have thought the Washington Capitals window was closed. With all their star players making big money and the team slowly getting worse every year. Not saying they were a bad team but 5 years ago they were a much stronger and deeper team. Winnipeg has good pieces and sure their team will start to lose key pieces to the roster but they should have enough of a good foundation that they could surge in the playoffs much like the Caps did in 2018.