The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Utilize the Depth

Rate this topic

goblix

Green never uses his call ups. In his presser he said the guys were excited to play. He's either dead wrong or misread his roster. It looked like they were tired, overwhelmed, and had no jump. We don't bring guys up to just sit in the press box eating popcorn do we.

Add some fresh legs. Tell them to hit everything in sight. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Green never uses his call ups. In his presser he said the guys were excited to play. He's either dead wrong or misread his roster. It looked like they were tired, overwhelmed, and had no jump. We don't bring guys up to just sit in the press box eating popcorn do we.

I read that the Comets play the same system as the Canucks, I think letting them sit instead of playing, that if they eventually get to play, that it won't be their game, that they may be more timid at making mistakes and that extra second of thinking will make them look bad

They are familiar with the system

Throw them into the fire in protected situations to get there confidence up

11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What about the three guys already sitting in the press box when injuries occur? Are you saying those three that start the season in the press box should just sit there all season while call ups get the games? I can see doing that if you're out of the playoffs and looking to next year, but when in a dog fight for a playoff spot or even home ice advantage, you go with your best options to win rather than rolling the dice for a look see to appease fan prospect curiosity.

I always thought it was interesting how in hockey we feel there's nothing out of the ordinary to rest a goalie, who has been playing too much, with the backup. But not other top players, who only are out if they have injuries. (sometimes as an indirect result of overplaying).

I thought the Sedins could have been managed like that in their last years.  They do it in basketball, but hockey has this macho culture where coaches will not "embarrass" a star with that kind of treatment.

At least for long road trips, and back to backs, I think Green should be a little braver with spotting in eager rested callups.  Not wholesale, but one projected top six for a top six (like LE),  or one projected more defensive player (for Beagle or Schaller).  You gotta have a little faith in your Utica players don't you? I really don't think one or two switch ups would affect results that much. But the benefits at the end of the season, if we make the playoffs, would be priceless.  Not to  mention, less chance someone crucial is injured.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2