The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Identifying RHD Prospects to Acquire (Discussion)

On 8/12/2020 at 9:06 AM, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed about NYI and Demko.

I would suggest Ottawa or Detroit if the Canucks are looking to package Demko with a sweetener of some kind.   Demko is a better young goalie than anyone that Ottawa and Detroit has within their system, and so the Canucks can dump a bad contract (Eriksson hopefully), while taking on one of their goalie prospects or something.

On 8/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, laddie said:

How about Lassi Thomson from the Senators?  Good right handed puck moving dman with a good shot and first pass.  Ottawa will be hungry for goaltending prospects which might make for an interesting trade. Lassi

OTT has zero need for goalies. They have a very deep, very solid, young pool of upcoming goalies.

On 8/12/2020 at 6:18 PM, janisahockeynut said:

Off Course this all changes if Rathbone and Juolevi both excel and they move Hughes over to the right side....

That totally changes things.......then there is Tryamkin and Woo, so maybe there isn't such a hole after all??????

I think Calen Addison is too small, Joe, but I like that LHD Jared McIsaac

This is what I think may indeed happen. So while a RHD is certainly preferred, I don't feel like it's an absolute necessity. If, in a few years (post-Edler/Tanev) we end up with something like:

*Trade*, Hughes

Juolevi, Myers

Rathbone, Woo

...I sure won't lose sleep. Or conversely, perhaps it makes one of Juolevi/Rathbone expendable in trade in a year or two to fill other holes, add high draft picks etc.

On 8/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, qwijibo said:

Vancouver doesn’t have a 1st or a 2nd in this years draft.  Yes, you can definitely get a very good D in the 3rd round or later, but whoever they draft will be a long term project. 

Yeah, I'm with you, if we're focusing on shoring up our D, it's not likely going to be via draft (though we should certainly still keep looking for additional D for 3-5 years down the road the next few drafts).

The clear place (IMO) to start is by honing in on teams that are likely to lose solid, young, 2nd contract D in the upcoming Seattle ED and who need F's (and perhaps swapping them Virtanen or a Virtanen + package).

• Upvote 1