The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

“Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean it won’t”. Really? What better evidence that it won’t happen is a hundred years of not happening? 

Let’s talk about a comparative figure that concussions have only really recently been focused on. It’s hard to prove or disprove what percentage of players have been concussed, a lack of figures doesn’t mean the figure is 0. 

What you can see is that impacts which cause concussion, or have a high probability of doing so are prevalent in a hip check which causes a player to rotate. 

On 9/5/2020 at 2:40 PM, UKNuck96 said:

Let’s talk about a comparative figure that concussions have only really recently been focused on. It’s hard to prove or disprove what percentage of players have been concussed, a lack of figures doesn’t mean the figure is 0. 

What you can see is that impacts which cause concussion, or have a high probability of doing so are prevalent in a hip check which causes a player to rotate. 

A player receiving a direct blow to the head gets no chance to protect himself, especially when the force of the blow is doubled by players travelling in opposite directions. Worse still, is a hit from behind driving a player face first into the boards, especially if the head is pushed forward and the first contact with the boards is the top/back of the head, compressing the head forward and risking breaking the player’s neck. I have played in two games where players received a broken neck from such a hit - fortunately after being paralyzed on the ice they recovered their movement but were never able to play again. I have also seen many concussions from elbows and forearm shivers. I have never seen a concussion related to a hipcheck. A player hipchecked rotates around his centre of gravity or lower, depending on how low the check is, The player is essentially rotating around an axis three feet above the ice, and he has the opportunity to get his arms up to protect himself.

7 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

A player receiving a direct blow to the head gets no chance to protect himself, especially when the force of the blow is doubled by players travelling in opposite directions. Worse still, is a hit from behind driving a player face first into the boards, especially if the head is pushed forward and the first contact with the boards is the top/back of the head, compressing the head forward and risking breaking the player’s neck. I have played in two games where players received a broken neck from such a hit - fortunately after being paralyzed on the ice they recovered their movement but were never able to play again. I have also seen many concussions from elbows and forearm shivers. I have never seen a concussion related to a hipcheck. A player hipchecked rotates around his centre of gravity or lower, depending on how low the check is, The player is essentially rotating around an axis three feet above the ice, and he has the opportunity to get his arms up to protect himself.

And I’m not saying

a hit from behind or to the head should be fine but not a hip check isn’t. Your basing your analogy on your experiance. 

hip checks, clipping, low bridging are all at risk of flipping a player. They may land safely but the risk is high for a shoulder, neck or head landing, and the secondary contact of the head on the ice.

a hip check executed properly won’t flip a player must most do. 

it’s based on probability and how it happens. It is a higher conclusion risk, not sure how that is debatable