The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Online Business

WilliG

7 hours ago, WilliG said:

What are your online businesses and how exactly do you make money?

I’ve been working exclusively online since 1999, many online portals. Going back a number of years, my top day, (24 hours) was over 10,000 orders, over $385,000 USD in revenue at 40 points net.

• Like 1

I've been trading online since the early 2000's and actively for the past 10 years.  Before that, I did all my trading through full service brokerage firms (the old Midland Walwyn, which became Merrill Lynch Canada, Mackie Research, Canaccord Genuity) paying a minimum $95 per trade and sometimes in the thousands (yes, a ridiculous amount).  I still have margin, RSP, TFS trading accounts with a few full service brokerage firms only because I like to have access to research reports, private placements, and because my Advisors have become friends (easy to call people your friends when they make you money).  I still place a few trades a month with my friend/Advisors because they are able to get me things like Nio depository shares which isn't available to online retail investors/traders.

Since retiring in March 2021, I've been doing a lot of own research/due diligence and subsequently, a lot more trading.  I'm usually on the buy side and take long term hold.  Now, I manage my 83 year old mother's account, two sisters' account, my wife's account and my account (wasn't expecting or hoping it to be, but this "new endeavor" is evolving into a Family Office set up, that most in the financial sector will know what I'm talking about).  Most days I'm up at 5:30AM (I used to be up at 4:30AM when I commuted to downtown Vancouver) and on my computer at 6:15AM waiting for the opening bell and at my desk until 1:00PM when the North American market closes.  In between, I have breakfast and lunch with my wife, take my dogs for a couple of walks, goof around by coming onto CDC for a few minutes at a time a few times a day, etc.).  I do all this from the comfort of my home in White Rock from March to November, and Henderson, NV from December to February (CV19 permitting). My assistants are my mini poodle and toy poodle. 

My favorite sectors (in no particular order): technology (love big data driven AI), natural resources, biotech and real estate.  I especially like pre-IPO companies.  Have some money invested in a private medical device company based out of the UK, a private O&G development company with assets that are being drilled offshore of Guyana/Suriname with Exxon-Mobil and Total SA, a private gold exploration company with assets in Red Lake, Ontario district.  Real estate markets I like are southern California (Carlsbad, San Diego), Las Vegas and recreational properties (Mammoth Lakes, CA and Lake Tahoe, CA are my favorites).

I should have done this a long time ago...I spend most my time with my wife (and our expectant first child) and dogs, and get to engage with only people I like.  Only people I have to report to are my family members (though they can be more difficult at times than board of directors I used to report to).

Life is beautiful.

• Like 2