The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Right or wrong, can Horvat now lead this team?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

*Post I seen somewhere else

I’ve never seen a player more immune to criticism than Bo Horvat.

Don’t get me wrong I like him and he’s a decent player. Every team in the league could use a one dimensional 2nd liner. But it’s as if he’s curated a Jonathan Toews esque squeaky clean image as a guy who’s a “200ft player that’s a leader on and off the ice” and yet when I look around I simply don’t see anything close to that.

People have talked so much about Pettersson’s struggles this season. Fine. He’s been bad. Where the f*** is Horvat? Where is the captain? I notice him on the ice maybe once every couple weeks. Where is this “leadership” we hear so much about? People in the hockey community decided in 2013 around the time Horvat was drafted that he was a “future captain” and a “2 way player” and it was so. (there is a lot of 20 goal scorers like this) The unfortunate part is that functionally he is neither of those things.

The guy who’s actually a 200ft, all situations lead by example player is in fact none other than JT Miller. PK1? Yup. PP1? Yup. Centre, winger, faceoffs, taking young players under his wing, sticking up for teammates, etc. he’s doing it all. Miller will be the scapegoat, he will be thrown under the bus by this teams “leadership” regime because he’s the easy choice. The frustrating part is that the reality is this team needs more JT Millers not less. I’m so sick of “Bo Horvats”. We got nowhere being lead by guys who always do the right thing and say the right thing. If you want to win you need some “f*** you” energy and Horvat doesn’t have it.

This team is leaderless and that includes Horvat. Of course the blame is a top down problem starting with ownership and management, but if we’re going to talk about the locker room can we please stop pretending Horvat is the good guy and Miller is the bad guy? Is Miller supposed to apologize for giving a f***? Because sometimes it looks like he’s the only one who does.

Edited by MaxVerstappen33
  • Cheers 3

On 11/25/2021 at 11:49 PM, Outsiders said:

Horvat isn't in my good books right now. I've always liked the clutch factor with him showing up in big moments. 

With that being said, in my opinion he's always been to soft for my liking. 

After having Henrik as captain and how Horvat was groomed, I knew it was always going to be turn and skate away with Horvat. 

As soon as I saw Podzilla get decked by McNabb and Horvat saw and skated away he completely lost my respect. I might add OEL the furthest player on the ice came charging in and stuck up for Podz. 0 career fights. Thats someone that understands the meaning of being a leader. 

You don't turn away from a teammate period and especially not a rookie. 

Not sure how some of these players were raised but when the going gets tough you don't roll over and die. You double down and find a way. 

Horvat is more than capable of throwing a big hit or taking a fight to show he cares. Show some pride and show some heart. Call a players only meeting. 

That is my problem with Bo, is he seems to be content with losing and accepts it. Until he shows some emotion out there I will always question him

Again, good clutch player, but I don't think he's a true captain. 

He seems to be out there just for the paycheque 

EDIT - If the rift with Miller is true its really sad. Why would Horvat care if Miller is stepping up to take some pressure off. He's an assistant after all. These guys get there feelings hurt too easily. Maybe if Horvat called it like it is and commanded respect he'd get it. The reason guys gravitate towards Miller is he's emotional and shows he cares. Again, Horvat seems to accept losing.

Great post and right on the money!    We all know that Bo got this job by default, as when the Sedins retired there was absolutely no one else to give the captaincy to, as we were in a rut at the time and he looked about as good as it gets back then.    If the Sedens were retiring today I suspect Miller would get the "C" hands down.  Unfortunately, about the only way to give the captaincy to anyone else means a certain trade of Bo which would be unfortunate - as he is a good player but might end up being the only way we upgrade that responsibility.  In any event when our new GM and coaches are in place that will be decision they'll need to review early on.