The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Right or wrong, can Horvat now lead this team?

Rate this topic

NHL97OneTimer

9 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Here's the thing though.  I don't want some pissy ass (pardon my language, it's hockey talk) team that has their feelings hurt and their play affected because of that.  Put on your damn big boy pants and forget who's "leader" or not and get it done.  

Even IF Miller rubs these guys the wrong way they should show some appreciation in the fact that he was carrying them in some of the rough spots.  So he's abrasive...maybe they need some of that to rub off and bring to their game?  Not sulk or pout.

This is all speculation but that's truly how I feel.  Sort it out and focus on the game, not on who's the most popular.

Exactly. They're supposed to be there to win, no matter what the cost, and that requires being aggressive. 

Just now, -DLC- said:

Thing is, I love Bo and he has quietly led the team but that maybe is creating a culture of being a "quiet" team?  I'm ok with him staying captain but he should be happy a guy is stepping up to HELP HIM carry the load and not feel threatened by that.  If Miller wasn't carrying the team, sure....shut up and know your role.  But he is, and that deserves some consideration and respect.  

You have to be secure in your role and not involve drama when a strong personality steps in.  Work with them, not against them. 

If the issue is Miller being vocal and opposed to some of the coaching, maybe that's needed.  If the other guys are just yes men and doing what they're told....it isn't proving to be successful on the ice.  

Once again going back to the early 90's team. The team was not the same when Geoff Courtnall left. Geoff was pretty much the guy that would back up Trevor in the room. I also miss Bure. When Keenan started yelling at Bure for lack of production. Bure said in front of Keenan and Messier "Go ---- yourself....". 

• Vintage 2

If we aren't going to trade one of the two if there is a rift in the room....hopefully this will spark a fire that they can burn on the ice with, not off.  Bo scored last game and so if this has him rise above it all and take charge, it'll be a good thing.  Maybe they need a spark and JT's igniting one?  Can't be complacent any more...words aren't getting it done and if some are focusing their energy on actions other than on the ice, that's on them.  Love this team, hate this season so far.  But I do see some bright lights and I'd hate them to fizzle out too.  The cream of the crop is rising and that's where we need to focus.  Let the natural leaders lead the team because the coaches are failing to do so.  

12 minutes ago, -DLC- said:

Here's the thing though.  I don't want some pissy ass (pardon my language, it's hockey talk) team that has their feelings hurt and their play affected because of that.  Put on your damn big boy pants and forget who's "leader" or not and get it done.  

Even IF Miller rubs these guys the wrong way they should show some appreciation in the fact that he was carrying them in some of the rough spots.  So he's abrasive...maybe they need some of that to rub off and bring it to their game?  Not sulk or pout.

This is all speculation but that's truly how I feel.  Sort it out and focus on the game, not on who's the most popular.  This isn't Survivor where you form allegiances...it's a hockey "team" and they're all on the same side.  If personalities clash, that's something you have to be mature about and get beyond for the greater good of the team.  You don't dump the guy who's your top point getter because he's rough around the edges.  Hockey needs guys who are rough around the edges, not fraternities.

I can't stand a couple of my coworkers but I'm professional enough to put my personal feelings aside to work with them as a productive team member and not bring my feelings into that.  I respect the job they do even if they're cliquey and immature.

But yeah...Sekeres?  Here we go again.   Guy LOVES to be the insider but his track record isn't great.  There's obvious big time frustration in the room...but does that subside if the guys other than Miller get going and produce?  It's not rocket science...teams vent and can lash out when they're in a skid.  

Miller could easily be creating an environment of players squeezing sticks and hating coming to work, though. I come from the same generation as you where you suck it up and leave feelings out of it, but the generations have changed. But, at the same time, I would hate working with a hot head who yells at his teammates and coaches, slams his stick when something doesn't go right, etc. In fact, I worked with a similar personality years ago and everyone hated the effing guy. He was eventually fired because he was unbearable to be around. It's like being micromanage and then yelled at every time you make a mistake. Guess what happens, people make more mistakes. 

If all of this is true, I feel it can be squashed if Miller learns a little tact. That's all. It's just like coaches like Babcock getting called out for their treatment of players. There are many different personalities in hockey these days, and leaders and coaches have to learn how to adapt to them all.

Maybe without the 'c' the Ox will be free.

He's such a well rounded strong stud of a player.

We all assumed, and maybe himself too, that he was the perfect cast to be a team captain. But maybe its not the right fit for him.

It's ok to be wrong, change can make someone stronger.

They are all pros and I am disappointed in the lot of them. Hopefully they can have some good talks and iron this garbage out. 

1 minute ago, Jester13 said:

Miller could easily be creating an environment of players squeezing sticks and hating coming to work, though.

I love Miller's passion, when he decides to give 100%, creating scoring chances. But I also recall he was a "problem child" in NY with the Rangers when he was a rookie.  NYR  traded him to TB. And then he was expendable in TB and they won 2 back-to-back Cups.

For all we know, with MIN calling about Miller, he could be traded.  This could happen before they fire Green, giving Travis another chance to rally the team without any negativity or hostility from one of the team's leaders.  

8 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Is this what you want in a captain?

Still think Holtby made a bad play there too in the first vid. 

And the second vid is garbage...hateraide. Sappy song playing in the background is straight up trollish.

JT has been a bright spot in a pile of dung so far this year. 

• Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Still think Holtby made a bad play there too in the first vid. 

And the second vid is garbage...hateraide. Sappy song playing in the background is straight up trollish.

JT has been a bright spot in a pile of dung so far this year. 

Based on what? Because he leads the team in points? 

How many times has Miller given the puck away in the offensive zone leading to a odd man rush? He sits 4th on the team in high danger scoring chance against, while having a o-zone start percentage over 60%. The dude also leads the team in giveaways. 

Edited by shiznak

8 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

J.T. Millers reaction / response to the question "If everbody's buying in at the moment" is quite telling.

For all we know Miller is trying to coach the team from inside the room. Maybe he meant not everyone is buying in to HIS plan.  Could Miller be stepping on the toes of Green and Bo?

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Wat 1

11 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Based on what? Because he leads the team in points? 

How many times has Miller given the puck away in the offensive zone leading to a odd man rush? He sits 4th on the team in high danger scoring chance against, while having a o-zone start percentage over 60%. The dude also leads the team in giveaways. 

Mostly his passion and ability to play in all situtaions.

Tied with Bo for Fo%... is even +/- ...doesn't take many penalties...he hits...and as you said is our top point getter.

I'm not saying I want him as Capt. Just pointing out imo those vids are crap. 

• Cheers 1