The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Brad Hunt, Nic Petan to test free agency

18 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Poolman > Hunt

Yikes. 

Out of curiosity, what are you using to make that determination? Hunt has played more games and put up more points than Poolman. Hunt is a more proven NHL defenseman than Poolman so I don't know how one can say Poolman is better? I'm not saying Hunt is good, both are a bottom pairing/7th Dman so it's kind of a moot point but still. 

Edited by Harold Drunken
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yikes. 

Out of curiosity, what are you using to make that determination? Hunt has played more games and put up more points than Poolman. Hunt is a more proven NHL defenseman than Poolman so I don't know how one can say Poolman is better? I'm not saying Hunt is good, both are a bottom pairing/7th Dman so it's kind of a moot point but still. 

Poolman can actually play defence.  Hunt can't.

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Poolman can actually play defence.  Hunt can't.

lol, Is that why Poolman has played less than 200 NHL games at 29 years old and was a healthy scratch multiple times? Hunt was too, but to say one is better than the other is like arguing which Kardashian sister is smarter....they both aren't and it's irrelevant. 

The facts and statistics disagree with you, but if I know you...that won't matter.

Edited by Harold Drunken

4 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

lol, Is that why Poolman has played less than 200 NHL games at 29 years old and was a healthy scratch multiple times? Hunt was too, but to say one is better than the other is like arguing which Kardashian sister is smarter....they both aren't and it's irrelevant. 

The facts and statistics disagree with you, but if I know you...that won't matter.

I've seen both play. The way Poolman plays in his own zone is acceptable.  The way Hunt does is not.  The eye test is by far the best method to assess defensive play.

11 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I've seen both play. The way Poolman plays in his own zone is acceptable.  The way Hunt does is not.  The eye test is by far the best method to assess defensive play.

I agree Poolman is better in his own end strictly defensively but that's kind of where it ends. Poolman's puck handling and passing are terrible, he's a fish out of water with the puck on his stick. I can watch many clips of the small amount of games he played of him bobbling the puck and turning it over. Hunt is better in the offensive zone and was more productive (by a wide margin), they are two different style of defenseman so comparing them is silly. I don't want to see either of them next season in all honesty.

Both are fringe NHL'ers and bottom pairing dmen. In no way is Poolman a top 4 dman in this league. He wasn't before and he sure isn't now. Hunt is more proven and has more experience with more responsibility in his career so far, so your argument that Poolman is "better" doesn't hold any water. 

Edited by Harold Drunken

7 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

I agree Poolman is better in his own end strictly defensively but that's kind of where it ends. Poolman's puck handling and passing are terrible, he's a fish out of water with the puck on his stick. I can watch many clips of the small amount of games he played of him bobbling the puck and turning it over. Hunt is better in the offensive zone and was more productive (by a wide margin), they are two different style of defenseman so comparing them is silly. I don't want to see either of them next season in all honesty.

Both are fringe NHL'ers and bottom pairing dmen. In no way is Poolman a top 4 dman in this league. He wasn't before and he sure isn't now. Hunt is more proven and has more experience with more responsibility in his career so far, so your argument that Poolman is "better" doesn't hold any water. 

I'm ok with a blueliner who doesn't provide a lot of offence.  A guy like Hunt who can't play defence simply doesn't belong in the NHL though.  The position is called defencemen for a reason.  I don't care how many points Hunt puts up when he plays like complete trash in his own zone.  We had multiple guys in Abbotsford that should have been given opportunities instead of that useless pylon.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

I'm ok with a blueliner who doesn't provide a lot of offence.  A guy like Hunt who can't play defence simply doesn't belong in the NHL though.  The position is called defencemen for a reason.  I don't care how many points Hunt puts up when he plays like complete trash in his own zone.  We had multiple guys in Abbotsford that should have been given opportunities instead of that useless pylon.

I agree, but like I said Poolman is a liability with the puck on his stick, He has size and can check but that's about it. I'm ok with a dman who doesn't supply offense either but he was to be able to stick handle and make a first pass out of his own end. The bad basically outweighs the good with him, in my opinion. 

Plus, you can get a "strictly defensive" dman for a lot less than $2.5 millon per. 

Just now, Harold Drunken said:

I agree, but like I said Poolman is a liability with the puck on his stick, He has size and can check but that's about it. I'm ok with a dman who doesn't supply offense either but he was to be able to stick handle and make a first pass out of his own end. The bad basically outweighs the good with him, in my opinion. 

Plus, you can get a "strictly defensive" dman for a lot less than $2.5 millon per. 

He's overpaid, but he's still a better option than a guy who's proven he can't play in his own zone at all.  There's zero excuse for allowing a defenceman who can't play defence to play in the NHL.

Just now, King Heffy said:

He's overpaid, but he's still a better option than a guy who's proven he can't play in his own zone at all.  There's zero excuse for allowing a defenceman who can't play defence to play in the NHL.

Like many have told you already, many coaches and GM's have trusted Hunt to play in the NHL for a long time. So unless they are all stupid and can't evaluate players and only you can see him for what he is, you are likely not correct in your assessment. All good though, they won't be signing Hunt so we don't need to worry! 

1 hour ago, Harold Drunken said:

Yikes. 

Strength in the defensive zone mostly, and his use on the second unit PK. In the playoffs the uear before last Poolman was on their 1st unit PK. And his ability to push forwards into the boards to stop the cycle. Hunt doesn't have any physical hame to really speak of. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel

26 minutes ago, Harold Drunken said:

Like many have told you already, many coaches and GM's have trusted Hunt to play in the NHL for a long time. So unless they are all stupid and can't evaluate players and only you can see him for what he is, you are likely not correct in your assessment. All good though, they won't be signing Hunt so we don't need to worry! 

And Greens going to be a NHL head coach again too.

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

That's if he's even in the defensive zone instead of being caught on a bad pinch.

Who was that forward he was following in our zone that time? They did laps completely around our end, it was ridiculous.