The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Horvat or Miller off to Long Island

3 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Could, down the line at least, he's still serviceable and the buyout is still bigger than I'd like

Yes, he is still serviceable; especially when paired with Bear over Myers, but that cap hit... I'd rather spend his money on Bo, Kuz or a RHD.

On 11/19/2022 at 12:22 PM, Coconuts said:

The Isles have 3.6M in cap space right now but more than likely we'd need to eat cap in any deal. Bailey seems like the likely candidate, and that's fine as he's only got one season remaining on his deal after this one. 

Great post Coconuts and one small correction.  

Isles started the season with 3.6 mil in cap space but because they're under the cap, they've been accruing cap space as opposed to a team like us that in LTIR (you don't accrue LTIR or any cap space then). 

Isles currently have 4.6 mil in cap space and their projected cap space at the deadline will be 16 million.  

So one factor to consider in terms of timing, is that it's in Isles' favour to hold off on a deal and keep stashing away cap space.  

The fairest trades would be the following, I'd say...  

JT Miller for 2022 1st round pick, Josh Bailey  

Bo Horvat for Aatu Raty, Anthony Beauvillier  

Brock Boeser for Anthony Beauvillier, 2022 3rd round pick 

Boeser and Schenn for Beauvillier and Mayfield  would be more of a combination that makes a good hockey trade for both teams (Schenn will be more valuable in the playoffs then Mayfield for this year, IMO... but Mayfield is 30 as opposed to 32 in Schenn's case).  

1 hour ago, bones said:

Yes, he is still serviceable; especially when paired with Bear over Myers, but that cap hit... I'd rather spend his money on Bo, Kuz or a RHD.

If we buy him out in the offseason it'd eventually free up cap but it'd immediately for that first season and then saddle us with 2.3M in dead cap before jumping up to 4.7M in dead cap for two years 

It'd drop down to just over 2M after, doesn't strike me as being worth it sooner than later 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

Edited by Coconuts

53 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Great post Coconuts and one small correction.  

Isles started the season with 3.6 mil in cap space but because they're under the cap, they've been accruing cap space as opposed to a team like us that in LTIR (you don't accrue LTIR or any cap space then). 

Isles currently have 4.6 mil in cap space and their projected cap space at the deadline will be 16 million.  

So one factor to consider in terms of timing, is that it's in Isles' favour to hold off on a deal and keep stashing away cap space.  

Could be easier for them later on, good point

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If we buy him out in the offseason it'd eventually free up cap but it'd immediately for that first season and then saddle us with 2.3M in dead cap before jumping up to 4.7M in dead cap for two years 

It'd drop down to just over 2M after, doesn't strike me as being worth it sooner than later 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

When it becomes a cap hit, over savings, the cap should have risen enough that it shouldn't be too big of a deal though. Especially with other large contracts (Miller in this trade, Myers, Boeser) coming off the books. 

Saying that, with our history of cap management....... ugh

22 minutes ago, bones said:

When it becomes a cap hit, over savings, the cap should have risen enough that it shouldn't be too big of a deal though. Especially with other large contracts (Miller in this trade, Myers, Boeser) coming off the books. 

Saying that, with our history of cap management....... ugh

Hard to say, the cap should jump but if the western economy sags profits may take a bit of a hit. There's a lot going on. Hard to say what the team actually looks at by the time we get to the next buyout window too.

I'm more inclined to just ride the contract out for a few more years, particularly if we trade out guys like Horvat and Miller. Gotta play someone in the top 4, may as well be the guy we're already paying. 

• Like 1