The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Garland for Severson?

[proposal] Garland for Severson?

Severson is traded to the Canucks in a sign and trade.  Devils get a decent player at a decent cap hit for relatively long term. Despite his struggles this season, Garland is typically good value for his money.

Kuzmenko-Pettersson-Pederson

Pearson-Horvat-Boeser

Mikheyev-Miller-Lazar

Joshua-Aman-Studnicka

OEL-Severson

Hughes-Bear

Schenn-Myers (Dermott)

Demko

Martin

While I don’t think Severson is the answer long term, a pairing between him and OEL should be half decent (and yes, I’m stretching on this) as a pairing taking on the toughest match-ups from other teams. Certainly an upgrade over OEL-Myers.  Hughes-Bear should be a strong 2nd pairing while any combination of Schenn, Dermott, Myers should be able to hold their own as a 3rd pairing.  

I won’t go into too many details here, but I’d also rather see the Canucks sign Horvat long term while using a sweetener in the off-season to move Myers.  

Hidden bonus proposal for off season:  Myers + Pearson + Lekkerimaki to Arizona for a minor return.  With that 9 million in cap space, we find ways to resign Horvat and Kuzmenko while making upgrades to our team.

2 hours ago, smithers joe said:

not bad. i believe there is a way to become competitive without a full rebuild. they might have to hurt the team in the short term to correct it long term. they may need to use a couple of sweetners to move on from crippling contracts.

Good morning Joe, best of the season to you.

I don't mean to disrespect you, but what type of sweeteners do you mean? I mean, we do not have alot of players that would be considered that.

• Cheers 1

Frees up cap space for a player that coaching and management don’t seem to trust. 
No more just add sweetener deals. We don’t have the organizational depth. 
Severson may be good to give a trial, not always obvious who the right player for someone like Q is going to be. 

9 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

it will probably take draft picks. it will hurt but we can then move forward. imo, we need to free up 10 to 12 million.

combinations of pearson, poolman and myers or miller or horvat.

if we can't trade pearson and poolman, i'ld put them on wavers in hopes they are picked up. if not send them to abby for whatever savings we can get.

i'ld pay 3 mil of myers 6 mil contract for next year'

then one of JT or BO, should free up enough to bring in another center, a good winger and a rd man.

if it takes a 2nd or 3rd round pick to make it all happen, we suck it up and move forward.

20 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

if we can't trade pearson and poolman, i'ld put them on wavers in hopes they are picked up. if not send them to abby for whatever savings we can get.

i'ld pay 3 mil of myers 6 mil contract for next year'

then one of JT or BO, should free up enough to bring in another center, a good winger and a rd man.

if it takes a 2nd or 3rd round pick to make it all happen, we suck it up and move forward.

My hope is that we can figure it out with Bo and bring him back long term.  I know it’s a small sample size but Bo clearly elevated his game in the two times that we’ve made the playoffs while he’s been here (2015 and 2020).