The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

On 6/28/2023 at 10:41 PM, wildcam said:

Another player that is likely headed to the free agency market is defenseman Carson Soucy. Frank Seravalli of Daily Faceoff is reporting that the Seattle Kraken and the hulking defenseman had discussions about an extension, but it appears that at this point he is going to unrestricted free agency and will be in a new uniform next season.

This past season Soucy finished last in Kraken defensemen for points and ice time, however, he will still be a significant loss on the backend for Seattle. Together with offensive defenseman Justin Schultz, they formed one of the top third-defensive pairings in the NHL last season, which is what will ultimately price Soucy out of Seattle.

Soucy had three goals and 13 assists in 78 games last season and while he will never an offensive defenseman, he may be paid like one given that he’ll be entering a very weak free-agent market for defensemen. Soucy can bring a lot to a new team, he can play on both sides of the ice, has a bomb from the point, and is a good penalty killer. The one caveat to Soucy’s recent success is that he’s played sheltered minutes for the past two seasons. If a team pays him like a second-pairing defenseman, they might be very disappointed with the results.

Sounds like a Canucks scenario to me 

2 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Sounds like a Canucks scenario to me 

No kidding. I don’t think Hronek can carry his partner the way Hughes can, so seems like we need to get that 2LD acquisition right.

Would almost rather Ian Cole, 2 x $2.5M than Soucy 4 x $4M

• Cheers 3

27 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

No kidding. I don’t think Hronek can carry his partner the way Hughes can, so seems like we need to get that 2LD acquisition right.

Would almost rather Ian Cole, 2 x $2.5M than Soucy 4 x $4M

I honestly dont know who would be better of the two. But I am worried. They need to set up Hronek for success.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I honestly dont know who would be better of the two. But I am worried. They need to set up Hronek for success.

Yeah, good point. Who we pair him with will greatly impact our ROI on that trade.