The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

43 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

That might be tempting. I'm assuming this would be the Top 4 next season:

Hughes - Juulsen

Soucy - Hronek

I'd imagine we're looking to add another top 4, even with a potential Soucy signing. Whether that's a trade for a guy like Carlo, Zadorov or Pesce, signing Graves or Mayfield etc, etc

Hughes, UFA/trade

Soucy, Hronek

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

I'd imagine we're looking to add another top 4, even with a potential Soucy signing. Whether that's a trade for a guy like Carlo, Zadorov or Pesce, signing Graves or Mayfield etc, etc

Hughes, UFA/trade

Soucy, Hronek

Mayfield was underpaid for a long time and will want to try and cash in on a long term deal. I am curious if he is wanting something similar to what Colorado gave Josh Manson to extend 4 yr at 4.5m with a NTC

I would love to see us somehow get Mayfiled and Soucey for the D. Then trade Beauvillier for a draft pick or prospect(C/RHD) to free just over another 4m so we can get a #3C. Compher likely gets overpaid and he is a right shot C. Maybe Alvin goes to an ex Penguin and signs Blueger and tries him and runs a 3a line with Blueger and 3b with Aman. Equal playing minutes for both C with PK time.

Then we could ice:

Mikheyev Pettersson Kuzmenko

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Podkolzin Blueger Garland

Di Gusieppe/Pearson Aman Joshua

Hughes Mayfield

Soucey Hronek

Wolanin Juulsen/Johansson/Burroughs/Bear(mid season return/if signed to new contract)

Rathbone- traded at draft or claimed off waivers in fall

Demko

Martin/Delia

Silovs AHL #1G

On 6/20/2023 at 7:54 PM, Citizen Erased said:

I know he is bigger and stronger than everyone else. The problem is he is not even remotely consistent with his physical play. That’s what’s disappointing about him. We know what he’s capable of. 

Iirc, he seems to receive a penalty every time he decides to get physical. I’d get a little gun-shy myself if that were the case. 

Third pair D.  No thanks.  Bad UFA investment regardless of role filled.  He’ll be forced to play heavy minutes and that’ll expose his deficiencies.  Save the cap for a real two way minute muncher.  Even if you have to wait a year or two… Or stay in purgatory I guess :(

On 6/23/2023 at 11:11 PM, Neutral said:

Mayfield was underpaid for a long time and will want to try and cash in on a long term deal. I am curious if he is wanting something similar to what Colorado gave Josh Manson to extend 4 yr at 4.5m with a NTC

I would love to see us somehow get Mayfiled and Soucey for the D. Then trade Beauvillier for a draft pick or prospect(C/RHD) to free just over another 4m so we can get a #3C. Compher likely gets overpaid and he is a right shot C. Maybe Alvin goes to an ex Penguin and signs Blueger and tries him and runs a 3a line with Blueger and 3b with Aman. Equal playing minutes for both C with PK time.

Then we could ice:

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Hughes Mayfield

Soucey Hronek

Wolanin Juulsen/Johansson/Burroughs/Bear(mid season return/if signed to new contract)

Demko

Martin/Delia

Silovs AHL #1G

Don’t forget about Dermott, Poolman 

On 6/23/2023 at 6:03 PM, aGENT said:

Hughes, UFA/trade

Soucy, Hronek

I really feel like this management group might deal our 1st next year. I think the Hronek trade has made sense and I'm on board with that, but unprotected 1st next year is something I can't get down with, unless the Dman is a gamechanger for the next 4-5 years. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, KKnight said:

I really feel like this management group might deal our 1st next year. I think the Hronek trade has made sense and I'm on board with that, but unprotected 1st next year is something I can't get down with, unless the Dman is a gamechanger for the next 4-5 years. 

If they did move our 24 1st (no idea if they will), I'd imagine it would have some sort of top 5-10 protection. If they didn't, and they moved it unprotected.... It better be, because Boston decides to blow it up and rebuild, and we're getting McAvoy.

• Cheers 2

It is so difficult to figure out and articulate what the best moves should be.

It seems pretty clear that there isn’t a practical, likely path to becoming a contender in the foreseeable future.  IF we had guy like Petterson and Hughes AND a solid pipeline of high end prospects on the way, that could be a path as those cheap ELCs would also allow for signing UFAs to fill gaps.

With that in mind, if your goal is to be a real contender for the Cup, the answer is to tear it down and rebuild so there is a critical mass of prospects and cap space in 2-5 years.

Management doesn’t want to do that and wants to make incremental improvements where they hope the team can go from a bottom feeder to a middle of the pack team that has regular playoff appearances. That plan just hopes for an ‘82 like Cinderella run where everything just breaks our way to make a deep run.

A guy like Soucy is an incremental improvement that isn’t going to move the needle a lot.  He will be better at helping keep the puck out of the net than OEL was.  That is worth a couple extra wins a year, so it makes sense if that is the plan.

Hronek will be worth an extra couple wins a year over Myers.  A healthy Mikheyev (if an equivalent player doesn’t get hurt) is worth another couple of wins a year.  Internal development from guys like Petterson is probably worth another couple wins a year.

If everything goes well with all that, we are probably looking at being a 93-98 point team, which is the middle of the pack.  The variance being how much better or worse the division teams we are competing most with are next year.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

It seems pretty clear that there isn’t a practical, likely path to becoming a contender in the foreseeable future.  IF we had guy like Petterson and Hughes AND a solid pipeline of high end prospects on the way, that could be a path as those cheap ELCs would also allow for signing UFAs to fill gaps.

With that in mind, if your goal is to be a real contender for the Cup, the answer is to tear it down and rebuild so there is a critical mass of prospects and cap space in 2-5 years.

Management doesn’t want to do that and wants to make incremental improvements where they hope the team can go from a bottom feeder to a middle of the pack team that has regular playoff appearances. That plan just hopes for an ‘82 like Cinderella run where everything just breaks our way to make a deep run.

A guy like Soucy is an incremental improvement that isn’t going to move the needle a lot.  He will be better at helping keep the puck out of the net than OEL was.  That is worth a couple extra wins a year, so it makes sense if that is the plan.

Hronek will be worth an extra couple wins a year over Myers.  A healthy Mikheyev (if an equivalent player doesn’t get hurt) is worth another couple of wins a year.  Internal development from guys like Petterson is probably worth another couple wins a year.

If everything goes well with all that, we are probably looking at being a 93-98 point team, which is the middle of the pack.  The variance being how much better or worse the division teams we are competing most with are next year.

We like to pay players for amazing performances for other teams. I suspect we will sign Barbashev to a contract of ill advised length and value and a bargain basement big defence man. 
I hope we start getting in the trade action and leverage the cap space but suspect that we will do something more short sighted and to pattern. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

59 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Canucks army was suggesting Soucy could get in the 3 year 2.5 per range. I for one would be very happy with that. Even if he would be a bottom pair dman. I don't see any Poolman situation happening with Soucy. 

That’s a fair contract. 

1 hour ago, KKnight said:

Canucks army was suggesting Soucy could get in the 3 year 2.5 per range. I for one would be very happy with that. Even if he would be a bottom pair dman. I don't see any Poolman situation happening with Soucy. 

If we can get Soucy for that, I'd be stoked. He's good enough to play 4B for now (and Hronek is good enough to "carry" him on the 2nd pair) until/if we find/develop someone to outplay him for 2nd pair minutes. And that contract shouldn't be too onerous on cap or length to finish off on our 3rd pair. All while bringing some much needed size, physicality and defensive/PK ability to the back end.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, KKnight said:

Soucy IS about solidifying out bottom pairing.   And adding size and grit.    We could try and bring Schenn back, my guess is he's getting a nice raise and a couple years no matter where he ends up.   He's also about adding playoff bodies. 

Edited by IBatch

18 hours ago, Provost said:

To me Soucy is the type of player whose value raises come playoff time.   Sure noticed him rattling our cages when we played MIN.    And an upgrade over Brisbois or Rathbone or whomever.   And provides and option on the PK.   Depth.   Agree with what you're saying above though, we need to add another top four D to make this work out for us.   And a 3C.    Think Soucy plus a 3C is doable.   Or a top four D and maybe a modest PK improvement in our bottom six.   Tough choices.     Our division is becoming a bit of a beast right now.   Cup winner.   EDM is so much better than they used to be, and keep getting their playoff reps in.   LA's Blake is showing JB how things should be done.      And CAL isn't crap.    Seattle...well wonder how good they can be with all their cap space?   Honestly feel the OEL buyout is this cores last chance.   Two years on the clock before it blows up OR makes the show.  

Edited by IBatch

On 6/23/2023 at 10:11 PM, Neutral said:

Then we could ice:

Hoglander Miller Boeser

Hughes Mayfield

Soucey Hronek

Demko

Martin/Delia

Silovs AHL #1G

I like it. Clip on the bald cap Allvin, there are trades to make!

In a weak FA market he’ll probably get 3.5 million per year at a crazy term like 6 years, GM’s are desperate for a big dman that can kill penalties. 

even though he shouldn’t play in the top 4, apparently struggles when he plays over 16-17 minutes. 

Edited by Sylas

Just now, Sylas said:

In a weak FA market he’ll probably get 3.5 million per year at a crazy term like 6 years, GM’s are desperate for a big dman that can kill penalties. 

I’d do 3x3.5 anything beyond that is too risky imo