The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Devils sign Tomas Nosek

20 hours ago, Provost said:

Jersey is getting sole good deals on these contracts.    Cheap veteran short term contracts to support the kids.

Turns out you don’t need to spend $3-4 million AAV on multi year deals to flesh out the bottom of your roster.

… who knew?

I get what you're getting at but to be fair, there wasn't a global pandemic induced flat cap when we signed those guys, nor were we a team appearing to become cup competitive as NJD, where vets will sign below value for a chance to win. These situations aren't remotely parallels. 

• Upvote 1
  • There it is 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

I get what you're getting at but to be fair, there wasn't a global pandemic induced flat cap when we signed those guys, nor were we a team appearing to become cup competitive as NJD, where vets will sign below value for a chance to win. These situations aren't remotely parallels. 

For many years pre-Covid there have been boatloads of vets available mid summer for cheap deals.  It isn’t a Covid thing, it is the league getting younger and pushing out older guys.

We actually signed some of those deals like Schaller and Brad Richardson.  We also just chose to sign a bunch of 4th liners for millions and term.

These aren’t guys who are signing July 1st and picking their destinations on Cup contenders.  These are guys trying to find a job anywhere.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Provost said:

For many years pre-Covid there have been boatloads of vets available mid summer for cheap deals.  It isn’t a Covid thing, it is the league getting younger and pushing out older guys.

We actually signed some of those deals like Schaller and Brad Richardson.  We also just chose to sign a bunch of 4th liners for millions and term.

These aren’t guys who are signing July 1st and picking their destinations on Cup contenders.  These are guys trying to find a job anywhere.

Like I said, I get it. But it was a bad parallel to draw. They're not the same, the teams aren't the same, and guys signing for near league min has definitely increased since the pandemic. Did it exist pre-COVID? Absolutely. Could we have signed more league min guys and less expensive/term guys? Probably. Still doesn't make the two situations parallel.