The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Poll] Hughes’ partner 23/24 season

Rate this topic

Ted Lasso

Hughes’ partner - 23/24 season  

101 members have voted

1. 1. Who would you like to see get a long look as Hughes’ partner?

2. 2. Who do you EXPECT to get a long look with Hughes this season?

3. 3. What type of player should we acquire to play with Quinn?

• Elite shutdown (eg. Pesce)
    • Aging shutdown (eg. Tanev)
    • Younger project (eg. Peeke)
    • Unproven prospect (eg. Korczak)
    • Ethan Bear
    • None
  4. 4. What type of player do you EXPECT us to acquire to play with Quinn?

• Elite shutdown (eg. Pesce)
    • Aging shutdown (eg. Tanev)
    • Younger project (eg. Peeke)
    • Unproven prospect (eg. Korczak)
    • Ethan Bear
    • None

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/12/2023 at 02:00 AM

14 hours ago, Canuck Surfer said:

I don't disagree, in fact i completely agree!

Its just my opinion they are NHL ready, capable & will. But also need the right roles / system. Which was lost in Bruce's game plan. Or lack thereof? At least with his personnel. He let too many guys play a loose, creative game. As soon as opposing coaches caught on; they focussed match ups to create errors from guys not up to it? Among the reasons he was fired.  I sense Tochet will have a better idea how to deploy them.  

All NHL players are good athletes.  Hoglander & Podkolzin are more Elite than most in terms of fitness, training, agility, power. Ability to play with energy. Do hold credible hockey skills. The best of which might be to go in to a corner, or on the forecheck & come out with the puck? Based on brute athletic ability. Arguably, not as high on puck smarts? Bruce emphasized creativity more than structure. Coming out of the corner, team mates were not always in set positions or plays. And they made more mistakes trying to go wide, or beat a guy one on one? Than, say, Miller or Petey. Tochet will always have a player in position, a structured cycle game for them to make a play to... 

Reign creativity, make simpler North / South plays, chip plays, get in deep, win the puck & lock it in. Start that cycle, hold off and beat guys physically. For most pairs and lines. Still leaving a license? More creative rope for key pairs & line combinations of Hughes, Kuzmenko, Petey, the power play. 

New coaching should help Hoglander & Podkolzin. Also Garland, Mikheyev who compete their asses off. Beauvillier, just my opinion, might be a casualty? Not as much a puck winner. Not quite productive enough. When gifted / given time with our elite guys, Barzal on the Island. Boeser will either have to keep up with the big guns & their puck smarts, or also win pucks. He might, perhaps both? He did when healthy & had young legs. My guys will kill it with Rick behind the bench!

Agree 100% and yes not only will they be looking to off load at least 1 of Boeser, Beau and Garland, to make room, but they likely want to create a bit of breathing space. 

Beau is the likely victim as he 'only' has a year left on his contract. 
Boeser, I think, is in the last chance saloon, while Garland won't be easy to shift. As good as he is, he lacks size and not PK'ing, so its a big contract to carry. 

We'll see, but I just want them all to keep working hard to achieve their, and our, dreams. 

• Vintage 1

On 9/12/2023 at 12:15 AM, brilac said:

Carson Soucy! 

Brilac if Soucy can handle those minutes, our teams in for a good season.   That would allow us to create a good second pairing.   And with Myers a legit third pairing too.    Sure hope you're right.   I'm a fan already (of Soucy).   Can't wait to see him stand up one of McDavid, Draisaitl or PLD, Kopitar at the  blue line.    One of the best hitters in the league, and now he's on our team. 

It would also buy us the time while we wait for Willander's arrival.    

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

On 9/13/2023 at 4:28 AM, IBatch said:

Brilac if Soucy can handle those minutes, our teams in for a good season.   That would allow us to create a good second pairing.   And with Myers a legit third pairing too.    Sure hope you're right.   I'm a fan already (of Soucy).   Can't wait to see him stand up one of McDavid, Draisaitl or PLD, Kopitar at the  blue line.    One of the best hitters in the league, and now he's on our team. 

It would also buy us the time while we wait for Willander's arrival.    

He’s the only UFA we gave term to…can’t wait to see who he pairs with

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Bobby James said:

I think Cole has played on his offhand before right? 

My guess is he'll spend the season with Quinn and Hronek will lead pair 2.

Soucy will get a shot there to play top 4 minutes and based on how these two pairings go we'll adjust from there if needed. 

That’s right, he’s played well on the right side.

Seems like the most logical option, given Cole also has the most top 4 experience, and also got the most votes in the poll.

Unless an underdog like Juulsen partners with Hughes, spreading out our depth.

Edited by Ted Lasso