The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

UPass will be re-designed and have the Compass embedded in their UBC IDs, IIRC.

However, the Compass is supposed to be a card loaded with money on it, so how will it work for U-Pass holders which gives students unlimited travel across all three zones. ???

The current U-Pass system was a waste of money if they're going to integrate it with the student IDs. They spent thousands of dollars on those new machines so places like BCIT and Kwantlen could get the U-Pass for a year....

However, the Compass is supposed to be a card loaded with money on it, so how will it work for U-Pass holders which gives students unlimited travel across all three zones. ???

The current U-Pass system was a waste of money if they're going to integrate it with the student IDs. They spent thousands of dollars on those new machines so places like BCIT and Kwantlen could get the U-Pass for a year....

My best guess: it'll probably be programmed so that there won't be any deductions when you enter or exit the bus - it'll come off as one lump sum collected at start of term.

And yes, the current UPass system is a waste of money (especially with the new machines), but Translink wasn't going to budge with the idea of letting people swap UPasses around. As far as I remember, it was either student unions or university administration who ponied up the money for the machines.

TransLink to cut 50,000 hours of service

A union rep says commuters should be prepared for some buses to run less frequently

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - We're getting a better sense of the kinds of cuts we could expect in bus service that TransLink has been warning us about.

TransLink plans to cut 50,000 hours of service starting with its winter schedule, and that has transit bus drivers concerned.

Gavin Davies with the Canadian Autoworkers Local 111, which represents bus drivers, says the little bit of extra time for drivers to complete their routes is now being shaved back, as TransLink tries to meet growing demand with fewer dollars.

"So the impact on the passengers is going to include less reliable service. In many cases, some of our drivers are going to be pushed to the max as far as stressors," he insists.

He warns commuters to brace for big cuts to the services they're used to.

"With that 50,000 hours of cuts there is going to be a reduction in service," he says. "So for people who live in areas where they have half-hour bus service they might get hourly bus service and in many cases a complete eradication of bus service altogether."

Long-term funding for the transit authority has been an ongoing problem. Plus, revenues from gas taxes aren't as high as the authority had hoped.

Full late night buses lead to tense situations downtown

TransLink placing security guards on buses to deal with unruly passengers

VANCOUVER (NEWS1130) - Long line ups and budget cuts are leading to some tense situations downtown for late night bus riders.

Over the last few weekends, overcrowding has meant dozens of people haven't been able to get on the final NightBus, leading to a costly cab ride back to Surrey, North Van and other suburbs.

TransLink's Drew Snider believes the strict drinking and driving laws have meant more and more people are taking the bus.

"We do know that there are pass-ups on some of our night buses, especially the N19 and the N20. It's one of these situations where people need to understand that there is only so much the transit system can do for them at this stage," notes Snider.

And because of those pass-ups, there have been some tense situations at the bus stops downtown. Pairs of security guards are now in place, with one on the bus, while the other travels in a car behind.

"These security guards, it's a matter of common sense. They go down there, they scope out the areas that really need to have line management where people are likely to get a little bit out of control."

Snider adds the overcrowding's not going to get any better with TransLink unable to add any extra buses thanks to the tightening budget.

Is the solution not easy? I think if they have the extra money to have security guards at bus stops, they can have the money for extra fuel to run articulated buses. The NightBus currently uses the 40 feet NovaBuses. ???

With buses overcrowding in the face of the school year and overcrowding in the late weekend nights, how is Translink losing money exactly?

My g/f takes the #84 on 4th/Fir going eastbound and she tells me everyday that at least 3 buses pass by her before she can even get on a bus when she gets off work at 5:30pm.

If the city is truly serious about being green, then don't make people trying to help with the problem suffer.

Edited by Raph

With buses overcrowding in the face of the school year and overcrowding in the late weekend nights, how is Translink losing money exactly?

My g/f takes the #84 on 4th/Fir going eastbound and she tells me everyday that at least 3 buses pass by her before she can even get on a bus when she gets off work at 5:30pm.

If the city is truly serious about being green, then don't make people trying to help with the problem suffer.

People don't pay for tickets, that's how.

Raise fares which will cut demand and up revenue then.

Raise fares so fewer people ride (impacting of course the poorest that really rely on transit) but they pay more? Sounds like a great plan. Really fantastic.

And the plan from Translink

http://www.translink.ca/en/About-Us/Media/2012/September/TransLinks-plan-delivers-fiscal-responsibility.aspx

B-line to Newton.

Edited by inane

Well the three year plan is in and it looks like there will be a King George B-line but only as far as Newton. So I am guaranteed three more years of not having any sort of rapid transit despite living and working walking distance from two transit nodes. I will be putting in a letter to the mayor later this week noting my objections and how we will never get service.

However, I will recommend a compromise. And this one might work as it would also provide revenue.

I recognize that it is more expensive to run buses to far off places like White Rock and Langley. As such, I propose putting in a fourth zone which would include Twassen and it's ferries and the port, South Surrey/White Rock, Cloverdale, and the Langleys.

In return make the King George Bline run to White Rock and on the full schedule, make the Langely express bus on it's ten minute schedule, run a Bline down Fraser Highway to Willowbrook Mall.

Rough prices for a four zone one way fair of $6.50 and a monthly pass for $190. For someone like me going to work in Burnaby would be a three zone pass but if I was going all the way downtown for a canucks game during peak hours it would be an additional $1.50.

In addition for trips three or more zones even in off peak charge the two zone rate. So if I had a three zone pass it would be covered but if I was paying cash it would be 3.75 to get home from work or the canucks game during off peak.

Well the three year plan is in and it looks like there will be a King George B-line but only as far as Newton. So I am guaranteed three more years of not having any sort of rapid transit despite living and working walking distance from two transit nodes. I will be putting in a letter to the mayor later this week noting my objections and how we will never get service.

However, I will recommend a compromise. And this one might work as it would also provide revenue.

I recognize that it is more expensive to run buses to far off places like White Rock and Langley. As such, I propose putting in a fourth zone which would include Twassen and it's ferries and the port, South Surrey/White Rock, Cloverdale, and the Langleys.

In return make the King George Bline run to White Rock and on the full schedule, make the Langely express bus on it's ten minute schedule, run a Bline down Fraser Highway to Willowbrook Mall.

Rough prices for a four zone one way fair of $6.50 and a monthly pass for $190. For someone like me going to work in Burnaby would be a three zone pass but if I was going all the way downtown for a canucks game during peak hours it would be an additional $1.50.

In addition for trips three or more zones even in off peak charge the two zone rate. So if I had a three zone pass it would be covered but if I was paying cash it would be 3.75 to get home from work or the canucks game during off peak.

Raise fares so fewer people ride (impacting of course the poorest that really rely on transit) but they pay more? Sounds like a great plan. Really fantastic.

http://www.translink...onsibility.aspx

B-line to Newton.

As you see from above I would be happy to raise the fare to places that have no transit worth taking in the first place in the hopes of making something that's worth getting on actually exist.

See what you did there?

Here's more on congestion: http://www.planetizen.com/node/58429

See what you did there?

Here's more on congestion: http://www.planetizen.com/node/58429

Yep. I figured out a way to make transit a realistic option for many people south of fraser AND I figured out a way to help fund it.

If even that isn't good enough it makes me wonder why White Rock and the Langleys are even part of translink when all we do is get taxed but have next to no service.

Yep. I figured out a way to make transit a realistic option for many people south of fraser AND I figured out a way to help fund it.

If even that isn't good enough it makes me wonder why White Rock and the Langleys are even part of translink when all we do is get taxed but have next to no service.

No, you say you're by two transit nodes (don't know how you figure that) but that you're in a 'far off place'. Anyway, you're just exaggerating for fun and cause it makes you feel good. You never provide links or evidence for anything you say, just anecdotal stories, so have fun.

http://www.translink...onsibility.aspx

B-line to Newton.

I've long thought that raising fares is a good idea, provided subsidised passes are available to those of lower income.

I have no issue with subsidising overall transit costs, whether it be through gas taxes or property taxes. But the fact I am subsidising the transit rides of people who make well more than I do (or even comparable wages), does bother me. Those who can easily afford paying the actual cost of the service should be paying closer to that cost IMO.

I have not seen any serious studies done on it, but would expect that an increase in the cost (provided low wage earners do not see an increase) would generate only a small reduction in the amount of users. Considering the cost of operating a late model car is ~50 cents per kilometre and how expensive parking is in some places, it would take a huge raise in transit prices for it to become the less affordable option. I have the shortest commute of anyone I work with, have free parking and taking transit still comes out close to $3000/year cheaper than driving.

Unfortuneately, due to where I work, taking transit would add 45 minutes to each side of my commute. Since I value my time, I have not made the switch to transit yet. But, I am exploring job options and you can bet that if I end up working somewhere where the transit options make sense, I'll be on transit every weekday morning.

Hop on the back door. It can be easily done on the articulated trolleys at major stops and the 99 B-Line.

Well yeah, but that's like maybe one person per bus.

I have another question for everyone:

So i was on the 49 today heading to metro and this very elderly chinese man snuck onto the back. A guy waiting in line (who actually didn't get to get on) told him to gtfo and get on through the front. Not only did the chinese guy prevent some people from getting on, he also stole a seat.

The guy was like 70? But i don't know, still don't feel like he had the right to do that. I would've called him out on it, but honestly i didn't wanna be that guy to yell at an old guy.

Perhaps i'm a minority, but does anyone think elders should be able to do that? I mean yeah there's the occasional teenager who does it but honestly i only mostly see old people do it these days.