The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

b_verdasco_30_11.jpg

At 1.08am, there shouldn’t have been a loser.

With five hours and 14 minutes on the board, there shouldn’t have been a loser.

With 95 winners to his name, Fernando Verdasco shouldn’t have been a loser.

But there was; he was.

And at the end of the day, the No. 14 seed’s double fault on match point was, extraordinarily, the only thing to statistically separate the two players. Of the 385 points played in the match, Verdasco won 192 – and his opponent one more. That one.

“Tennis is like this sometimes, no?” Verdasco said after the match.

“What can I do? I was trying the same like in all the other games in the match. But … just to try a good second serve; I played two double faults.”

After playing one of the most extraordinary matches in Grand Slam history, one can only sympathise with the vanquished Spaniard.

After all, up until this tournament Verdasco’s best Grand Slam showing had been the fourth round – reached on five occasions, but never at the Australian Open.

Now he has the ignominy of being on the losing end of the longest match in Australian Open history.

“Is sad … to play one match like this and lost after five hours. But, you know, for the other side, I need to be proud for the tournament I made and the level I played today also. I think it was unbelievable match.

“You know, we both played unbelievable … in these matches, five sets, [Nadal] is the toughest player. You know, and I was there all the time, too … for sure I will have this match in my mind all my life.”

Indeed he should.

Although Verdasco had never beaten the world No.1, this was by far their most closely-contested meeting.

Perhaps the Spaniard can now take solace that he belongs in the top ranks of men’s tennis.

“I'm so proud of all the things I made today and these two, almost two weeks,” Verdasco said.

“These matches, anyway, they are so long, there are so many chances for both players, so many situations, they can change a match. So is difficult to know everything.”

We do know one thing, however; Fernando Verdasco isn’t going to disappear any time soon.

Go Federer.

Are you guys getting the Australian media feed, or is all US commentators etc.

& Are they showing much of Melbourne or just the games.

i got international feed me thinks

mine has vijay amritaj and that british guy alan

and they're loads of international commentators (including plenty of aussies...)

What a match between Nadal and Verdasco. Was rooting for Verdasco but didn't think he could do it. I'm a Federer guy myself.

I believed he could, he just didn't.

I saw it fitting he ended the match on his own terms though. Ugly, with two double faults in that final set, but he went out with a bang. After he botched his first serve, he decided right then and there he was going to try and make his second serve a good one, not just go with a typical conservative, safe second serve... Not with Nadal on the other side. Yes, Verdasco made an error, but at least it was one he had resolved to. He didn't let Nadal have his way.

I didn't even know Fernando Verdasco's name prior to this tournament. I hope he's able to keep the performance level up because I am all for more immensely competitive tennis matches.

Wow, Federer's showing his stuff now.

These two make for a fantastic match! They battle back and forth and it's easy to see why they're the best in the world....thought Federer was fading out early in this one, then he starts showing his brilliance. Go Roger!

Ugh, the story of Fed's woes against Nadal... Not converting, the lack of finish...

Gosh double fault nightmares.

Edit: Wow, crazy long game, the 5th one in the fourth set. 6 deuces, saved a billion crucial game points. Feds pulled it out though, thank goodness...

Edited by luineul

I've seen a lot of great tennis matches in my life, but this is shaping up to be the best ever.

It's really hard to tell which way this one's going to go....Nadal's so focused - but when Federer gets mad/digs down deep, he's tough. Just hope I can last to the end here...one helluva match!

I've seen a lot of great tennis matches in my life, but this is shaping up to be the best ever.

It's really hard to tell which way this one's going to go....Nadal's so focused - but when Federer gets mad/digs down deep, he's tough. Just hope I can last to the end here...one helluva match!

I still Verdasco's match better, there was just so much fire involved. Who knows though, this match could turn out to be even better, it's not over yet....

C'mon roger, take this set!!

Please!

Unfortunately, I fell asleep in that one and missed it. :(

I bet it was amazing.

I like Roger's determination here and he's getting his serve back. Nadal's got to be exhausted - my God, he's unbelievable to still be moving out there at all.

Well - this is it.

C'mon Roger, take it home.