Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Who's ever been to Nanaimo?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
116 replies to this topic

#1 morello_the_god

morello_the_god

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

I'm thinking about moving to Nanaimo, Vancouver Island. Anyone know anything about it? Input? Gossip? Drugs? Anything I should be aware of?

#2 The Hornet

The Hornet

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,651 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:47 PM

The bars there are awesome.

The edible ones that is.

Posted Image

#3 KronicCanuck69

KronicCanuck69

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:49 PM

I live in Nanaimo, its pretty nice and there are no shootings at all ;) no gossip lots of drugs lol

Its a great place to raise a family

#4 mugpot

mugpot

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:51 PM

I have family that lives on Protection Island, tiny island of Nanaimo so I have spent a moderate amount of time there in my life.

From my experiences,

Beautiful place to be in the summer
Much nicer if you have a personal vehicle, the bus system sucks and the city is long and spread along the coast. It's not your typical city structure
Lots of great places to go visit in the summer aswell on the island.
Old Downtown is kind of icky

Overall, it's a pretty nice place.

Edited by mugpot, 31 March 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#5 morello_the_god

morello_the_god

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 06:55 PM

I have family that lives on Protection Island, tiny island of Nanaimo so I have spent a moderate amount of time there in my life.

From my experiences,

Much nicer if you have a personal vehicle, the bus system sucks and the city is long and spread along the coast. It's not your typical city structure

Nice!

#6 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:01 PM

I'm thinking about moving to Nanaimo, Vancouver Island. Anyone know anything about it? Input? Gossip? Drugs? Anything I should be aware of?

LOL listen to this guy. Morello, why are you thinking about moving to Nanaimo? Whats so bad about where you're at right now?
Posted Image

"But I love it all, hunting deer, shooting geese, birds, anything”
Mason Raymond

#7 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:03 PM

Don't do it!

Move to Parksville instead.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#8 shayster007_canucks

shayster007_canucks

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:05 PM

i live in the sh!t hole of v island, duncan.

go to nanimo like every day for school, love it there.

so peacefull and relaxing there, unlike the big city victoria or dare say it.. VANCOUVER

#9 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:12 PM

Don't do it!

Move to Parksville instead.

Why would someone that owns a computer and knows how to use it move to Parksville? The OP is obviously under 40 years old...there won't be anyone there his age. :lol: :P

To the original question, Nanaimo has good points and bad points. My inlaws live there so we are over there fairly often. I love going to Pipers Lagoon at low tide on a sunny day. It has a smaller town feel but still has everything that you need. Victoria is only about 75mins away too. Lots of places to explore being so central on the Island.

Of course there are parts of old town as mentioned that are a little run down. Some bums and druggies/drunks. But they are starting to clean up and revitalize that area.

If I ever caught wind that there was a bridge coming, I would buy in a second. Or if Harbourlynx ever got running again. If you are in the housing market in the GVRD your housing $$ will go so much farther in Nanaimo.

Edited by old_time_hockey, 31 March 2009 - 07:14 PM.

Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#10 F-View

F-View

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,461 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:28 PM

I went to Nanaimo for a football game.

We won.

56-0 or something like that.

#11 Bill Barilko

Bill Barilko

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:34 PM

Nanaimo is second only to Port Alberni for being a dump/sh*thole.

The RCMP call it Surrey-by-the-Sea and locals call it Viet-Nanaimo after all the Vietnamese gangsters there.

Ever heard of Angle Acres?Do a web search and hold your nose.

Ever heard of the Hells Angel bigwig who went to a meeting with the Vietnamese gangs and was never seen again?

Friends of mine have tried living there-it's awful bad way down below buffalo hell.

I could go on and on and on but suffice it to say now I just drive through don't even stop for a bar.
'shootouts suck!'

#12 Canadian

Canadian

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 7,952 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

The RCMP call it Surrey-by-the-Sea and locals call it Viet-Nanaimo after all the Vietnamese gangsters there.

Ever heard of the Hells Angel bigwig who went to a meeting with the Vietnamese gangs and was never seen again?

Friends of mine have tried living there-it's awful bad way down below buffalo hell.

I could go on and on and on but suffice it to say now I just drive through don't even stop for a bar.

Good one. :rolleyes:

Sure it has it's problems, mostly in the downtown core, but it's nowhere near what you're saying.

Back to the OP

It's great if you love being outdoors; there's Mount Benson, Ammonite Falls; Pipers Lagoon; Newcastle, Gabriola and Protection Islands, etc. etc.

It has a good bar scene, only a couple of clubs though.

Great local music scene.

It has way too many malls.

I don't know.... I like it..

velociti1xc8.jpg

#13 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

From my experiences,

Sounds like an informed opinion there...

Bring your car, aside from the nice little downtown it's nothing but strip malls, parking lots and big box crap.

#14 mugpot

mugpot

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,886 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:47 PM

Sounds like an informed opinion there...

Bring your car, aside from the nice little downtown it's nothing but strip malls, parking lots and big box crap.

Oh you are right, your opinion is much more valid than mine what was I thinking. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about Old Downtown, you know where that little mini mall is with the Thrifty's and London drugs, and where all the homeless people hangout and shoot up?

Edited by mugpot, 31 March 2009 - 07:47 PM.

#15 Bang Bang Boogie

Bang Bang Boogie

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,051 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

Went there when 'twas a kid.

Don't remember anything good about it.
Posted Image

#16 danny411

danny411

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:51 PM

havent been for a while.

My uncle lives there.

nice town. Great island. Head up to long beach, hit tofino.

friendly people.

When i went people bought me drinks, we took pics with some foreign chicks at weigh west and some other chicks invited us to victoria.

#17 BrEwSki

BrEwSki

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

This guy made me mad.

First, I'd like to hear from you why angel acres is so bad?

I've lived right beside angel acres for 18 years and I've never seen one problem there in my life. I have attended their drag races and other social events which are COMPLETELY safe. Don't get a false impression here people from this guy who obviously has no idea what hes talking about.

Second, please send me a link about the hells angel "bigwig" who was never seen from again. I'm interested.

Third, I've NEVER heard it called surrey-by-the-sea or Viet Nanaimo. Again, lived here my whole life and never heard anyone say that, lol.

Morello, see what you've started here with your antics.

Edited by BrEwSki, 31 March 2009 - 07:55 PM.

Posted Image

"But I love it all, hunting deer, shooting geese, birds, anything”
Mason Raymond

#18 old_time_hockey

old_time_hockey

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,609 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 07:53 PM

It isn't too far to Mt. Washington ski resort either. That and you can be on Salt Spring Island in just about an hour.

Oh and how could I forget the Longwood Brew Pub. They make their own on site and they have like 8 different brews. I love getting the tasters rack and the fish and chips.
Posted Image

#6 David Musil. 26th among North American Skaters.
I stayed up to watch CDC click over 5,000,000 posts and all I got was this crappy line for my sig.

#19 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 9,791 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Oh you are right, your opinion is much more valid than mine what was I thinking. :rolleyes:

I'm talking about Old Downtown, you know where that little mini mall is with the Thrifty's and London drugs, and where all the homeless people hangout and shoot up?

I never said it was more or less valid. I sarcastically said it was 'informed' as you described it as icky.

Downtown Nanaimo is ok, the rest of the sprawl is garbage.

#20 Bill Barilko

Bill Barilko

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

Don't you just love it when people tell you how great a place is because it's close to other places. :rolleyes:

Also-FYI Angel Acres belong to murdering criminal drug trafficking scum the sort of people who should all be behind bars.

WTH kind of a person defends criminals/drug traffickers and murderers?

Who would listen to someone like that?

If you like malls, malls, malls then Nanaimo is the place for you and if you thought car break ins were bad in Vancouver Just You Wait!

As I said I've known a number of people who've lived there over the years they all left because it was such a dump and nothing changes-it's still a dump.
'shootouts suck!'

#21 KrišjānisLatvija

KrišjānisLatvija

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,593 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:35 PM

I live in Nanaimo, its pretty nice and there are no shootings at all ;) no gossip lots of drugs lol

Its a great place to raise a family

Hahah I dont think great place to raise a family and lots of drugs go together unless you do lots of drugs and dont care about your kids :P
Posted Image">

Rīgas Dinamo, vairāk nekā tikai klubā, sirds un visu valsti dvēsele. Nemitīgi Rīga, Nemitīgi Dinamo.

#22 Oranje

Oranje

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,502 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:37 PM

I grew up in Alberni and lived in Nanaimo for 8 months, your initial assessment is right on the button. Neither worth anyones time.
Posted Image

#23 Homo Sapiens' Sapience

Homo Sapiens' Sapience

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,088 posts

Posted 31 March 2009 - 10:41 PM

I've been around much of the southern part of the island. Aside from Qualicum Beach and Victoria I would not want to go to any of the other places. Nanaimo was a dump in my experience, only second to Port Alberni. I was in Nanaimo for two weeks for work, and spent some time at the local club a few times while in Parksville. I do recall there being a lot more chicks than guys at the strip club.

Would go again.
Only if staying out of town.

If anyone ever goes to visit, I suggest to stay at the Moby Dick in Nanaimo (very close to the ferry terminal... in case you want to GTFO ASAP), you'll get a feeling of being in a mental hospital without actually being crazy.

Wouldn't it be nice if people thought more and believed less?

Buggernut

#24 YaK

YaK

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,910 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 02:19 AM

I've never felt that Nanaimo really had any sort of community feel. It is a little to big for that, and yet it is too small to have the allure of big city life. That's just my opinion though. If you want a nice community go to Parksville or the Comox Valley. If you still want some big city feel you may want to stick to Victoria.
Posted Image
"It felt almost like it was a dream," Burrows said of his game-winner.
"But guys jumped on me and I couldn't breathe, so I knew it was right."

#25 LindsayDianne

LindsayDianne

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,654 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:53 AM

I love it. I would move tomorrow if I could.
Posted Image

There's no way I could last 10 minutes if it's Lexy. There aren't enough unsexy thoughts to think to slow yourself down when you're presented with that kind of babedom.

#26 TigerWilliams

TigerWilliams

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,781 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

A friend of mine refers to Nanaimo as "Surrey By The Sea".

I find that handle strangely accurate as well as beautifully succinct
"Met him in 1966. Forceful personality. Didn't care if people liked him. Uncompromising. Admired that. Of us all, he understood most. About world. About people. About society and what's happening to it. Things everyone knows in gut. Things everyone too scared to face, too polite to talk about. He understood. Understood man's capacity for horrors and never quit. Saw the world's black underbelly and never surrendered. Once a man has seen, he can never turn his back on it. Never pretend it doesn't exist. No matter who orders him to look the other way."

Posted Image

#27 Langdon Algur

Langdon Algur

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,542 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

I live in Nanaimo and work for the City of Nanaimo

Yes Nanaimo does have it's downside the main one being a small forgotten downtown but that is quickly changing
As far outdoorsy stuff I think Nanaimo is only rivalled by Comox and Squamish. Lots of fantastic hiking like Mount Benson, Ammonite Falls, Cable bey, etc.. In the summer the Nanaimo River is the best place I have ever been swimming in, ton's of fun and a beautiful spot (avoid the crowded areas as they get a bit of litter and watch out for currents). Nanaimo vs. say Vancouver or Victoria is a bit weak on resturants and nightlife but there are some decent places like the Modern Cafe, Fireside Grill, Mrs. Ritchies. The poster who said you need a car is sadly right it is a pretty car oriented city, again that is chaning but slowly. Nanaimo has a great harbour and New Castle and Protection are fantastic places to visit (I use to live on Protection) but teh walkway is pretty small.

Good luck with your move hope that helps
you may also want to check out this website created by my former neighbour.

http://www.nanaimoinformation.com/
"What is the good of having a nice house without a decent planet to put it on?" ~ Henry David Thoreau

CDC's 2014 draft preferences vs. Canucks actual picks
http://forum.canucks...g-2014-edition/

#28 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:07 AM

It's a mall.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#29 Gunmonkey

Gunmonkey

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:44 AM

Ya I just moved to Vancouver from there. The gang stuff is really bad, no shootings though...But ya Nice place to lie move to NORTH Nanaimo %100 nicer than south

. Just a heads up...if you plan on Having kids or already have kids They will be pot heads if living in Nanaimo

Edited by Gunmonkey, 01 April 2009 - 10:53 AM.

Alistair Overeem: Future strike force heavywieght GP champ.

#30 Five For Fighting

Five For Fighting

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 10:51 AM

It isn't too far to Mt. Washington ski resort either. That and you can be on Salt Spring Island in just about an hour.

Oh and how could I forget the Longwood Brew Pub. They make their own on site and they have like 8 different brews. I love getting the tasters rack and the fish and chips.

Why the frack would you want to be on Salt Spring Island? I worked there for just over a year, & it was the worst year of my life. The people that live there are like people from a different universe. To call anyone born/raised on Saltspring a Canadian would be an insult to the rest of us.

If you haven't been to Salt Spring before, do yourself a huge favor NEVER NEVER visit.
Posted Image

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.