The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Who's ever been to Nanaimo?

morello_the_god

Glad to see all the mis-informed people who have visited Nanaimo a handful of times or enough to have an opinion about it.

I was born in Nanaimo and lived there until i was 18. I still have many relatives there. But in all honesty, i was counting down the days i could leave. When Cactus club is the "Best" restaurant in the city, there is something wrong. The entire city is centered around its 4 shopping centers - harbour park, country club, rutherford, and woodgrove. There is little to no nightlife, unless you like to hang around with the dealers by the Cambie. So basically, most people end up shopping, going to movies, or drinking at their friends house. I find this very very boring.

There is a HUGE drug problem there and it is not pot. It is cocaine for sure. But of course there are the other drugs. I was first offered ecstasy, pot, and cocaine when i was in Grade 4. Never touched that stuff though, it can ruin your life.

As for a place to raise your kids?? Are you joking me? Refer above and the population is quickly turning to an average age of 60+. This is a well-documented problem as it is in their newspapers often. It is being taken over by seniors and as a result, the city has shut down 2-3 elementary schools and likely a major highschool due to the lack of kids in the upcoming years. Unless you are moving to the subdivisions near north Nanaimo or hammond bay area so you can get a decent school like Wellington or Dover, i would hesitate and think about moving to Nanaimo.

My relatives always bring up the question of whether i will move back to Nanaimo from Vancouver, my answer is always a quick No and it usually shocks them because i answer so blatantly. I can only speak from my personal experience working there and going to school there, but the majority of the people i met were conceited and thought much too highly of themselves. This is no different in Vancouver but the difference is that many ppl in Van actually have something to back that attitude up. Whereas in Nanaimo, they drive a new Civic and they are the top of the city or something similar...

The average age isn't nearly that high. Qualicum is the highest average in Canada and it's something like 57, which is still just ridiculous.

But you're right, Nanaimo is a sh!tty place to raise kids, and a crap place to be if you're a young adult. Courtenay/Comox has a lot of the good things that Nanaimo has and not many of the bad things. The only thing Nanaimo really has that's better is it's location. There's a reason it can support so many malls.

Lest We Forget

The thing with Port Alberni that Ron should remember is where do you put a pulp mill in that town that has a harbour that isn't close to town with their geography and topography?

The ultimate in planning is Kitimat. The industrial area is across the Kitimat River and sitting in the deep water part of the harbour. AND, with the winds 85% of the time the smell is blown down a valley towards Terrace. And when the wind is out of the north in the winter it goes out over an unpopulated area.

When the wind went down the valley (in the 50's and 60's) right at the 1500' level of Claque Mountain there was a dead zone. The industrial pollution killed the trees in that zone. But now the trees are coming back after both the smelter and pulp mill were ordered under legislation to clean up. I personally planted about 150 trees myself.

I don't know. The Sherwood forest area rules

Sherwood drive.

Smugglers hill

sugarloaf mountain

sheriff way

King richard drive

Jesters way

sir Lancelot Place

Robin hood drive

Prince John way

King John way

Bowstring close

scarlet hill road

Monk Place

Maids court road

Knight court road.

Glad to see all the mis-informed people who have visited Nanaimo a handful of times or enough to have an opinion about it.

I was born in Nanaimo and lived there until i was 18. I still have many relatives there. But in all honesty, i was counting down the days i could leave. When Cactus club is the "Best" restaurant in the city, there is something wrong. The entire city is centered around its 4 shopping centers - harbour park, country club, rutherford, and woodgrove. There is little to no nightlife, unless you like to hang around with the dealers by the Cambie. So basically, most people end up shopping, going to movies, or drinking at their friends house. I find this very very boring.

There is a HUGE drug problem there and it is not pot. It is cocaine for sure. But of course there are the other drugs. I was first offered ecstasy, pot, and cocaine when i was in Grade 4. Never touched that stuff though, it can ruin your life.

As for a place to raise your kids?? Are you joking me? Refer above and the population is quickly turning to an average age of 60+. This is a well-documented problem as it is in their newspapers often. It is being taken over by seniors and as a result, the city has shut down 2-3 elementary schools and likely a major highschool due to the lack of kids in the upcoming years. Unless you are moving to the subdivisions near north Nanaimo or hammond bay area so you can get a decent school like Wellington or Dover, i would hesitate and think about moving to Nanaimo.

My relatives always bring up the question of whether i will move back to Nanaimo from Vancouver, my answer is always a quick No and it usually shocks them because i answer so blatantly. I can only speak from my personal experience working there and going to school there, but the majority of the people i met were conceited and thought much too highly of themselves. This is no different in Vancouver but the difference is that many ppl in Van actually have something to back that attitude up. Whereas in Nanaimo, they drive a new Civic and they are the top of the city or something similar...

Ok I'm gonna have to jump in here and end your fun Morello.

MORELLO LIVES IN NANAIMO, AND HAS FOR A MAJORITY OF HIS LIFE!

He is'nt thinking of moving here, he already lives here!! hes just pulling a big goof on all you guys.

Good job Morello, got a 5 pager out of this.. haha :lol:

I don't know. The Sherwood forest area rules

Sherwood drive.

Smugglers hill

sugarloaf mountain

sheriff way

King richard drive

Jesters way

sir Lancelot Place

Robin hood drive

Prince John way

King John way

Bowstring close

scarlet hill road

Monk Place

Maids court road

Knight court road.

Interesting that you talk about how missinformed people are about Nanaimo then you go on about how you USE to live there... seriously how long ago was that?

take it from someone who lives here NOW (and has for the past 6 years and grew up here before that) Nanaimo is changing for the better. The vaerage age of Nanaimo residents is well bellow 60, you must be thinking of Parksville. School closures are common through out the province. Oh and how many shootings have you had in VAncouver this year? How many have happned in Nanaimo? That's what I thought.

It all depends on what you're looking for in the place that you live.

I've lived in the big city my whole life and I'm DONE like dinner. So over it.

But people that live in the country always want to move here.

Archived