The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

Why is there a tendency to knock prospects before they even have a chance to prove what they are capable of. I presume Jordan Schroeder was drafted because someone saw and liked what he could do as a young hockey player. Half of you critics haven't even seen him play, let alone know what he might develop into as a player. If he can skate well, has heart like Burrows, loyalty, ability and can score goals, who cares what his size is.

Give the kid a chance before you kick him under the bus.

So true. Prospect rankings can be kind of a fickle thing because people can measure a guy physically and add up his stats, but the thing they can't really measure is the heart. In the same year Josh Holden was drafted, Zdeno Chara wasn't drafted until the 3rd round. Two years later, he was sent packing in exchange for Alexei Yashin. I guess other GM's thought he was too big, huh?

...and speaking of guys who were overlooked because of physical stature, just take Martin St. Louis. He did okay, right?

NHL2.jpg

post-60671-1276024534_thumb.jpg

I think Schroeder will be a great NHL player.He looked really good with the Moose right from the get go and put up nice numbers after a mediocre season playing with plugs on a lousy team in Minny.

He did especially well on a line with Desbien who's a banger and crasher with size and some offensive skill,so

I think with the right kind of linemates,he could be point per game player for us down the road.

can't compare one guy to another. People thought Gretsky was to small, i heard he did good. Same with St. Louis

Does anyone know about his speed? I think the main reason why Kane and St. Louis can thrive is because of their explosive speed, the ability to accelerate to their max speed extremely quickly which will get defenders out of position, create breakaways/odd-man rushes, and to not get caught in a wrong position offensively and defensively.

Does anyone know about his speed? I think the main reason why Kane and St. Louis can thrive is because of their explosive speed, the ability to accelerate to their max speed extremely quickly which will get defenders out of position, create breakaways/odd-man rushes, and to not get caught in a wrong position offensively and defensively.

Schroeder's speed is very good, he was considered one of the top 5 (maybe even top 3) skaters from last years draft IIRC. He is what I would call an 'effortless' skater, if you know what I mean.

If you want to see some of his speed. Go to 1:06 on this vid.

hope to see schroeder and hodgson on the third line next year

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows

Grabner-Kesler-Raymond

Schroeder-Hodgson-Samuelsson

that looks like a pretty solid top 3

Not if you want to win the cup or not get pushed around by Chicago.

Flip Schneider+ to St Louis for Backes and play him instead of Schroeder or Hodgson for that matter then I think that goes along way in terms of size, speed, and grit.

Put Hamhuis/Michalek or ;) Niedermayer on the Blue-Line and we have a contender for sure.

The above 3rd line situation looks more like a winner in 2-3 years.

^^^^^

I remember watching that and when Schroeder scored I yelled "Yeaaaaa" and my friends looked at me weird. :lol:

For sure. My family was ticked because I was happy to see the Americans win. That kind of experience builds a guy like Schroeder's confidence, which is worth more than a quick fix for Canada's insatiable hunger to win every shiny thing it sees. By Canada losing, the Canucks are that much closer to winning.

Not if you want to win the cup or not get pushed around by Chicago.

Flip Schneider+ to St Louis for Backes and play him instead of Schroeder or Hodgson for that matter then I think that goes along way in terms of size, speed, and grit.

Put Hamhuis/Michalek or ;) Niedermayer on the Blue-Line and we have a contender for sure.

The above 3rd line situation looks more like a winner in 2-3 years.

Im pretty sure they have 3 somewhat solid goalie prospects, Jake allen for an example. Cant remember the other names at this time..

I think Schroeder's height won't be a huge issue. In fact, for a forward, perhaps a benefit. D-men have a hard time with being small because they need the hight and reach and what not to complement their weight, and to knock them off pucks.

When it comes to a forward, the smaller, the quicker. Harder to contain, and since he's still relatively heavy (for a young'n like him, to boot), his center of gravity and balance will be so huge for his play. He'd be stronger on the puck than someone like Raymond or even Kesler, both of which are taller.

Personally, I'm SO stoked to have Schroeder as a prospect. I really hope he AT LEAST gets 9 games next year.

He totally looks like a prick too, that's funny. Maybe he'll be like another American A-hole named Kane, unlikely he'll be that good but it'd be pretty sweet.

+1...absolutely..he's more Jeremy Roenick than Daniel Briere...the kid's got jam!!..He is an ingredient that the Canucks need in a big way.....guys that 'want to win"..that's why I'm hoping he makes the team next season.

If you YouTube his player profile from draft day there is mention of him possessing some speed. Of course, it doesn't exactly slow you down when you only weigh 176lb. But I don't know that it's a part of his game that makes him stand out like it did for Kesler, Raymond and Grabner

Archived