The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

In retrospect, it may have been better to just leave him at C for the whole year, hindsight being 20/20 and all. It seems forcing him onto the wing, while having him simultaneously go through the rigours of an entire pro season, may have hurt his point production. Schroeder just seems much more comfortable playing centre.

And though his lower body strength was much vaunted coming into the 2009 draft, it was likely only ever effective against kids a few years older than him, tops. You need that strength to compete for pucks along the wall and maybe he just wasn't physically ready to be a winger yet, being up against fully physically-matured adults. Give it a couple summers of training and he should see much better results in future if the Canucks shift him to right wing permanently in future.

Hopefully they remedy this and keep him as a pivot for the near future, and let him continue to improve on his point totals in the AHL. I just want him to be a dominant scorer in the AHL before anything else, and most likely that'll happen while he's at C. They can save the transition to the wing for later once he's learned how to play against grown men while being able to produce offense at the same time.

Guest Dasein

In retrospect, it may have been better to just leave him at C for the whole year, hindsight being 20/20 and all. It seems forcing him onto the wing, while having him simultaneously go through the rigours of an entire pro season, may have hurt his point production. Schroeder just seems much more comfortable playing centre.

And though his lower body strength was much vaunted coming into the 2009 draft, it was likely only ever effective against kids a few years older than him, tops. You need that strength to compete for pucks along the wall and maybe he just wasn't physically ready to be a winger yet, being up against fully physically-matured adults. Give it a couple summers of training and he should see much better results in future if the Canucks shift him to right wing permanently in future.

Hopefully they remedy this and keep him as a pivot for the near future, and let him continue to improve on his point totals in the AHL. I just want him to be a dominant scorer in the AHL before anything else, and most likely that'll happen while he's at C. They can save the transition to the wing for later once he's learned how to play against grown men while being able to produce offense at the same time.

Perhaps, but that would diminish Schroeder's chance of playing for the Vancouver Canucks to almost 0%. We already have H Sedin and Kesler who have locked up the top 2 lines for the next 5 years, and it looks like Manny has earned himself an extension seeing as he was given a leadership role with the A on his chest almost upon joining this team. That is top 3 center positions on a lock down. Not to mention, Cody Hodgson is still ahead of Schroeder in the ranks.

For Schroeder's sake, it's best that he adapts to the wing position fast. I don't see a lot of teams giving a 5'8" guy a chance to be a top 6 center in the near future.

However, I do agree completely about having him play C until he matures enough to produce at wing. Schroeder's future in the NHL depends on being able to play wing...

I ran into Jordan downtown today (robson & burrard) I said I was surprised to see him since he wasn't a call up & he said a few of the guys are in town to watch the games. I then got a picture with him & wished him luck next year.

He's small in height but not in build (IMO). He was a REALLY nice guy & was wearing a Minn. Twins hat (the give away that it was him)

Also take it for what its worth but I ran into Brent Seabrook walking around downtown last Thursday..... gotta say he is weird. Torres must have really rattled his brain.

So whats going on with Schroeder?&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Is he going to continue playing in the AHL?&lt;br /&gt;&lt;br /&gt;Or is he going back to college hockey<br />next season?

Can't go back to college once you turn Pro.

He's going to continue developing in the AHL unless he does something magical in the Pre-season.

I ran into Jordan downtown today (robson & burrard) I said I was surprised to see him since he wasn't a call up & he said a few of the guys are in town to watch the games. I then got a picture with him & wished him luck next year.

He's small in height but not in build (IMO). He was a REALLY nice guy & was wearing a Minn. Twins hat (the give away that it was him)

Also take it for what its worth but I ran into Brent Seabrook walking around downtown last Thursday..... gotta say he is weird. Torres must have really rattled his brain.

Pics or didn't happen :P

<br />Can't go back to college once you turn Pro. <br /><br />He's going to continue developing in the AHL unless he does something magical in the Pre-season.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

oh really i was unaware that you

can't go back once you turn pro.

good to know...

Guest Dasein

LOL that's hilarious. Forgot Seabrook is from Richmond.

Pics or didn't happen :P

I tried..... he said he was too busy though. By the time I had my cell's camera up it was too late. I don't think a picture of a back of the head would have been useful, unless there really IS a faceback :lol:

Believe it or not.... I could really care less. ;)

LOL that's hilarious. Forgot Seabrook is from Richmond.

I am too! Thats why I was kinda let down but w/e he's a Hawk. :lol:

<br /><br /><br />

oh really i was unaware that you

can't go back once you turn pro.

good to know...

It's like going black, but with professional sports ;) and yeah NCAA is strict on their "amateurs only" rule. once you recieve a payment of gift of any sort you automatically loose your eligibility. that includes airfare and boarding for offseason rookie camps, which is why NCAA players have to pay their own way to attend during the summer.

Rough first year for Schroeder....

But he's only 20, lots of time for him

I agree. Had a ok start.... finished the season going like 20 games without a point, pointless the first 4 playoff games, then goes on a 6 game point streak IN THE PLAYOFFS, then pointless in the last 2. But yea, plenty of time for him.

It's like going black, but with professional sports ;) and yeah NCAA is strict on their "amateurs only" rule. once you recieve a payment of gift of any sort you automatically loose your eligibility. that includes airfare and boarding for offseason rookie camps, which is why NCAA players have to pay their own way to attend during the summer.

I've heard this expression many times, where does it orginiate from?

Was it used in a tv show? or in a movie?

I still think its weird how much his play and stats drop off when he plays out on the wing verses playing center. I would assume the wing would be an easier position... You see this with Cody as well. Hmmm anyone have an answer as to why that might be?

I still think its weird how much his play and stats drop off when he plays out on the wing verses playing center. I would assume the wing would be an easier position... You see this with Cody as well. Hmmm anyone have an answer as to why that might be?

Centremen touch the puck more, so they get more assists by default. plus they are too used to playing centre and try to be both the centre and the wing (you'll see them drift over to where the centreman usually is from time to time, because that's their habit). it takes a fairly long time to adjust to a new position, you have to break and change habits, or be consciously thinking about where to go, which also affects your play, as it needs to be organic, and not over-thought.

Players who play both positions regularly have a much easier transition.

But Cody hasn't really played wing, and when he did he excelled (WJC).

Centremen touch the puck more, so they get more assists by default. plus they are too used to playing centre and try to be both the centre and the wing (you'll see them drift over to where the centreman usually is from time to time, because that's their habit). it takes a fairly long time to adjust to a new position, you have to break and change habits, or be consciously thinking about where to go, which also affects your play, as it needs to be organic, and not over-thought.

I thought there was a time after he was sent down from his second stint that he played on the wing with Rosa as his center? Or was it Parreault? I don't remember, but good point on the observation. Its obviously a lot harder than we think.

I thought there was a time after he was sent down from his second stint that he played on the wing with Rosa as his center? Or was it Parreault? I don't remember, but good point on the observation. Its obviously a lot harder than we think.

Yeah, he played 2 or 3 games with rosa, and got a couple points, but quickly switched back to centre because the talent was too concentrated on one line and diluted everywhere else. That was pretty much the extent of his wing time this season though. I'd love to see him do a full season on malhotra's wing, to be honest; possibly timesharing at centre by the time the end of the season comes around.

Guest Dasein

They might get more assists, but they don't always get more points. Also, in some cases, the winger will touch the puck a lot more.

For instance, playmaking wingers who carry the puck tend to often get more points than shoot-first centers. Again examples would be St. Louis and Stamkos, Kane and Toews. St. Louis and Kane usually dish the puck a lot more than Toews and Stamkos.

That's what Schroeder can become. He can make plays from the wing because and he's also known to have a great shot, which he can utilise as well. I agree that it will take time for him to adjust to playing a new position on the wing, and once he gets more confidence and experience playing on the wing, I believe he can play just affective as he did as a center. Once he has the experience and the confidence, he can dictate the play from the wing just as he did from the center. His game doesn't have to change that much IMO.

Also the Sedins are an anomaly. Daniel has the higher PPG than Henrik (Henrik has more points because Daniel has missed a lot more games). I think Henrik touches the puck way more, but Daniel usually gets the final touch (scoring goals) or get assists by rebounds which causes Henrik to lose a few 2nd assists because there are too many touches in between. So wingers can have more points (top 3 scorers this season were wingers). As long as they are well adjusted to their position, dictating the play from the wing or center won't be an issue. Schroeder can dictate plays from the wing just as easily once he gets used to it as you said.

He'll have to make the switch he he wants success in the NHL.

Archived