3141 replies to this topic

#2821 BuretoMogilny

BuretoMogilny

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,602 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

unreal, what does a young player have to do to make this team? - hopefully this is just for gilman's cap magic and gets them exactly at 70million to take maximum advantage of the LTIR space.

explain?

#2822 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

explain?

ok so LTI space works on a basic level like this:

you dont gain LTI space or relief unless you EXCEED the salary cap (this year 70.2million) therefore in order to take advantage of Kesler and Booths injury on opening day the canucks would like to be as CLOSE to 70.2 million as possible. So they will pick contracts that will add as closely to 70.2 million as possible.

math model: team salary of 65million
salary cap of 70.2
player injury of 4million
replacement player 1.2million
salary cap savings 0$, why they didnt spend to the cap

team salary 70.2million
player injuries 9.2million (5kes 4.2booth)
replacement players (kass ebbett 2million approx)
salary cap LTI usage FULL 2million. canucks were at 100% of the cap therefore whatever players they add are full value LTI replacements.

this is a very basic understanding of it, i dont even know if the formulas have changed in the new CBA, but this should give you a basic idea :)

edit: forgot there is also the issues of schroeders performance bonuses on his contract. under the new CBA these might be applied to next years cap instead of this years which further muddy the waters. (really not sure on this would need gilman to confirm its very complicated)

Edited by stexx, 18 January 2013 - 03:19 PM.

#2823 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

ok so LTI space works on a basic level like this:

you dont gain LTI space or relief unless you EXCEED the salary cap (this year 70.2million) therefore in order to take advantage of Kesler and Booths injury on opening day the canucks would like to be as CLOSE to 70.2 million as possible. So they will pick contracts that will add as closely to 70.2 million as possible.

math model: team salary of 65million
salary cap of 70.2
player injury of 4million
replacement player 1.2million
salary cap savings 0$, why they didnt spend to the cap

team salary 70.2million
player injuries 9.2million (5kes 4.2booth)
replacement players (kass ebbett 2million approx)
salary cap LTI usage FULL 2million. canucks were at 100% of the cap therefore whatever players they add are full value LTI replacements.

this is a very basic understanding of it, i dont even know if the formulas have changed in the new CBA, but this should give you a basic idea :)

edit: forgot there is also the issues of schroeders performance bonuses on his contract. under the new CBA these might be applied to next years cap instead of this years which further muddy the waters. (really not sure on this would need gilman to confirm its very complicated)

Well done, I forgot that they did something like this 2 seasons ago with Hodgson - kept him up as 13th forward because his bonuses were like 1.5m. Thanks for the info.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#2824 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,514 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

So is there any chance that js plays for vancity this weekend

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#2825 SamJamIam

SamJamIam

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,220 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

So is there any chance that js plays for vancity this weekend

Not against ANA but maybe EDM

Keswho.jpg

#2826 Squeak

Squeak

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,477 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

I am still baffled at this decision.
Posted Image

#2827 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:08 PM

okay adam henrique was sent down today as well, there must be something in the CBA that capologists are exploiting, i have no idea what they are exploiting but there is more to this than a straight hockey decision.

#2828 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,401 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

okay adam henrique was sent down today as well, there must be something in the CBA that capologists are exploiting, i have no idea what they are exploiting but there is more to this than a straight hockey decision.

I think you hit it on the head pretty perfectly before. We want to be as close to the 70.2M number as possible so we get cap relief when we place Booth on LITR. Now being that we had to have a 23 man roster set for today, Schroeder had no risk of getting claimed so he was "sent down". I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't even play with the Wolves. Booth will be placed on LTIR as soon as possible, and Schroeder will be "recalled" from Chicago.

FWYIerW.png

#2829 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,545 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Unpopular idea for today; Schroeder for Henrique??? :bigblush:

Heah, if Henrique cannot make their roster...

#2830 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Unpopular idea for today; Schroeder for Henrique??? :bigblush:

Heah, if Henrique cannot make their roster...

henrique is hurt, they sent him down because of the way AHL players salaries are caculated, in the new CBA players on 1ways in the AHL count against the cap at full value but i assume players on ELC's do not or are calculated at their AHL salary or some crazy other reason.

#2831 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 01:04 PM

Sigh damn techinical crap...hope this doesn't deter Schroeder's confidence.

Sounds stupid but these kind of things can really nip at a players confidence and psyche.

2moy3iq.png

#2832 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:03 PM

He's not dressed for the Wolves in tonight's game:

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1010446

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2833 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,351 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

He's not dressed for the Wolves in tonight's game:

http://theahl.com/st...game_id=1010446

Kind of what I figured. I wonder if he has even left Vancouver yet.

AV did say they're not going to carry 3 extra D-men today. So I would imagine they make a decision on one of them tomorrow.

Edited by DeNiro, 19 January 2013 - 07:17 PM.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#2834 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Kind of what I figured. I wonder if he has even left Vancouver yet.

AV did say they're not going to carry 3 extra D-men today. So I would imagine they make a decision on one of them tomorrow.

i was thinking more tuesday after practice, gives them 2 full practices to decide.

#2835 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,755 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:10 PM

Was watching the Philly game and Scott Laughton an 18 year old looked great for the flyers.
I understand that we're all in right now and trying to win a championship. But, the Sedins are going to start declining sooner or later.

I just hope we don't end up in a Calgary situation with our team relying on Kesler and Schneider to get us into the playoffs every year.

I'm hoping next season with the cap issues we will play Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Schroeder regularly.
Also give chances to guys like Sweatt, Rodin, Connauton, and Corrado. Let the winning culture rub off on them like it did for Detroit.

#2836 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Was watching the Philly game and Scott Laughton an 18 year old looked great for the flyers.
I understand that we're all in right now and trying to win a championship. But, the Sedins are going to start declining sooner or later.

I just hope we don't end up in a Calgary situation with our team relying on Kesler and Schneider to get us into the playoffs every year.

I'm hoping next season with the cap issues we will play Gaunce, Jensen, Kassian and Schroeder regularly.
Also give chances to guys like Sweatt, Rodin, Connauton, and Corrado. Let the winning culture rub off on them like it did for Detroit.

that is why a luongo trade for fair value is so important. as it will help set the canucks up for the post sedin era which i dont even want to imagine right now.

#2837 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:05 PM

that is why a luongo trade for fair value is so important. as it will help set the canucks up for the post sedin era which i dont even want to imagine right now.

Or Schneider.

IMO, we decide after this shortened season. We will not move either, and decide afterwards.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2838 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

Or Schneider.

IMO, we decide after this shortened season. We will not move either, and decide afterwards.

good point, should be an interesting year

#2839 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 10,509 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:28 PM

Suddenly those Van-Philly rumours begin to make a little more sense if Laughton shows he could be an adequate fill in for Couturier (as hard as it is to grasp the very thought of trading him).

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#2840 canuck_trevor16

canuck_trevor16

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • 12,657 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:01 PM

Suddenly those Van-Philly rumours begin to make a little more sense if Laughton shows he could be an adequate fill in for Couturier (as hard as it is to grasp the very thought of trading him).

what rumour

One day some of us will look back on the year and look at the chicago, and most of us will realize that it was a small bump in the road to the cup

WIN THE CUP FOR SALO CAMPAIGN

#2841 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

what rumour

was a rumor when burkie was still in charge, that probably revolved around luongo going to philly and bryz going to toronto.
was never really fully established.

on the JS front if ebbetts game today didnt cement his callup for wednesday/friday im not really sure what will.

#2842 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:13 PM

Ya Ebbett was horrible tonight. I'm not sure he's worthy of being waived just yet, because that's the choice either waive him or one of our extra D in order to call up Schroeder. I still don't think Schroeder is in Chicago, as there is no way he wouldn't have played Saturday given the Wolves are currently using career ECHLers in Kattelus and Kenton Miller as centres.

If I were to bet, I'd say Schroeder is keeping a low profile in a Vancouver hotel, and will likely suit up for the game on Wednesday.

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2843 stexx

stexx

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 11:18 PM

Ya Ebbett was horrible tonight. I'm not sure he's worthy of being waived just yet, because that's the choice either waive him or one of our extra D in order to call up Schroeder. I still don't think Schroeder is in Chicago, as there is no way he wouldn't have played Saturday given the Wolves are currently using career ECHLers in Kattelus and Kenton Miller as centres.

If I were to bet, I'd say Schroeder is keeping a low profile in a Vancouver hotel, and will likely suit up for the game on Wednesday.

i think they will waive one of the two defenseman on tuesday probably after the morning practice.

edit: it really isnt even ebbetts fault, the line is just poorly constructed they cant play a corners game with him and raymond they are just too soft and that line needs to create offense off the rush but ebbett really isnt creative enough to do that.

Edited by stexx, 20 January 2013 - 11:21 PM.

#2844 CCF4E

CCF4E

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

i think they will waive one of the two defenseman on tuesday probably after the morning practice.

edit: it really isnt even ebbetts fault, the line is just poorly constructed they cant play a corners game with him and raymond they are just too soft and that line needs to create offense off the rush but ebbett really isnt creative enough to do that.

You were right, vandemeer was placed on waivers this morning
Posted Image

Ehrhoff isn't from europe....

#2845 wshdrvvn

wshdrvvn

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

you basically just said its not ebbetts fault, but it is his fault. but i agree with the second part, there is no cycle and no rush chances. Schroeder and him have very similar defensive game but schroeder is a much better fit for that line offensively.

#2846 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,917 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

You were right, vandemeer was placed on waivers this morning

Oooo interesting.

Let's see if Schroeder gets called up as soon as Vandermeer clears or is claimed.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#2847 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,960 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

They`ll wait out the waiver period until he`s sent down and then call up Schroeder. They`ll need Schroeder for Tuesday`s practice if he is 'coming up' (as we all assume he's still in Vancouver).

2d7ye0p.jpg

#2848 bluesy_shoes

bluesy_shoes

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

aww yeeee

Posted Image

bluesy_shoes

#2849 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

As expected, Schroeder gets the call. He's already skating with the team in practice this morning on a line with Raymond and Weise. I wonder if he ever really left Vancouver.

Anyway, it's just great to know that he's finally going to get in his first NHL game!

#2850 CRAZY_4_NAZZY

CRAZY_4_NAZZY

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 22 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

Raymond and Weise? Wow that is some faith AV is showing with Dale Weise.

2moy3iq.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.