The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder Talk

carlweezer

^^ ramone

Couldn't agree more!

Players get injured in the NHL and go through the same thing as Jordan did. Bieksa, edler, salo, manny, etc all had injuries and did they play 100% when they first came back? No!

Most players have a tough time moving up leagues anyways without dealing with injury.

People need to chill with our prospects. It is pretty rare for a player 20-23 to play in the NHL and make an impact on an NHL team. So everyone can complain and be negative in 3 more years for Jordan and a year or two for hodgson.

Sometimes, players are passed over multiple times for a reason.

Unless he was the 2nd coming of Patrick Kane, his upside was a longshot away at best.

He better show something this season in Chicago, or dat's dat.

I wouldn't give up on a 20 year old prospect who had a nearly .5 PPG in the AHL despite being injured this year.

I wouldn't give up on a 20 year old prospect who had a nearly .5 PPG in the AHL despite being injured this year.

Agreed. It takes at least five years to determine whether a prospect is a success or a failure. Give the kid some TIME to develop and prove himself.

Sometimes, players are passed over multiple times for a reason.

Unless he was the 2nd coming of Patrick Kane, his upside was a longshot away at best.

He better show something this season in Chicago, or dat's dat.

Developing players is a slow process.

The Sedins, Kesler, Raymond, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, and Schneider took years and years to get to where they are today. Usually, they dont seem to hit their stride until 24-25.

I think its more than reasonable for Schroeder and Hodgson to spend 3-4 years in the minors, with the occasional call up.

The secret behind the entire Red Wings success has been their unwavering confidence and patience in developing players who are small, but are otherwise skilled and determined. (eg. Jordan Schroeder)

Developing players is a slow process.

The Sedins, Kesler, Raymond, Burrows, Hansen, Bieksa, and Schneider took years and years to get to where they are today. Usually, they dont seem to hit their stride until 24-25.

I think its more than reasonable for Schroeder and Hodgson to spend 3-4 years in the minors, with the occasional call up.

The secret behind the entire Red Wings success has been their unwavering confidence and patience in developing players who are small, but are otherwise skilled and determined. (eg. Jordan Schroeder)

Yep. Detroit won't call up an offensive player until they're age 22 and they've put up some impressive numbers at the AHL level (barring major injury issues at the NHL level that necessitate call ups).

Schroeder is, what, 20 (21 in September)? Still at least a year to go and probably more like 2 or 3 more years given his already tough issue of learning how to beat pros in spite of his lack of size. Hudler (5'10" 180lbs) spent three years and 185gp (205gp if including playoffs) in the AHL before getting a full season in at the NHL level at age 22/23 (January D.O.B.).

I am not worried about Schroeder one bit.

He has one pro season under his belt, where he suffered a high ankle sprain.

As someone said above - he was on pace for 38 points, which isn't great nor terrible.

He will be surrounded by good young players next season who should be able to help him reach his potential.

Look no further than Michael Grabner as to why you cannot write off a guy like Schroeder when he is only 20. It takes time to break into the best league in the world, and the ones that do quickly are either top 3 draft picks or players going to bad teams.

Grabner was drafted higher than Schroeder (14th overall), 5 years ago in 2006. He went back to finish his major junior year and then played three straight years in the American league, never putting up more than 50 points. We give him a look in 09-10, he scores 5 goals and 11 points in 20 games, but generates a ton of chances, often failing to bury.

We trade him away, he enters this past season as a 23 year old, 5 years after being drafted, and scores 34 goals and 52 points in the big show (much more than he ever did in AHL).

Schroeder is still 20 if I'm not mistaken. He has at least a couple years in the AHL to work on his game before he should be ready to contribute as a top 6 forward in NHL. However he has been known to get to the next level younger than usual, so it isn't out of the question for him to breakout soon and make it earlier than expected.

Hah two different topics and I agree with both your posts bureisbest.

People who call 20 year old prospects "busts" must have 0 knowledge of a professional hockey player's development process.

It is simply astonishing watching all these posts about guys from Cody to Souve to Jordan saying we should trade them so we can actually get something in return. Look at a guy like burrows....didn't even look like a bottom six nhler till his mid 20s....and now he plays on the top line in the NHL two years in a row.

Get a freaking clue people.....

Guest Dasein

Jordan dropped to 22nd overall because of his size - He was ranked the 5th North American skater in his draft year of 2009.

Struggles were to be expected. Schroeder is a boom or bust type of prospect. He definitely has a boatload of talent but lacks size. This was his first year in the pros against men - and his first year where he played more than 40 games in a season straight out of college hockey. Physically and mentally, he probably was not in good shape for a pro grind. He most likely tired out after the first half of the season.

On top of all this, Schroeder was moved to wing, really, for the first time in his career due to concerns about his size. Many, including me, believed that if Schroeder was to have a chance at cracking an NHL roster, he would have to make the transition to wing at some point in his career. After seeing his dismal year, now many wonder if he needs to be moved back to center with big power forwards insulating him.

I personally believe that we need to give him at least another 1/2 of the season at wing to make an impact. I know there are quite a few small centers who have been successful, but I still think he has a far better chance of success at wing than center, and throwing him back to center could virtually be throwing away a whole season of development out the window.

Hence, I'm suggesting to stay the course. Let him bulk up (he already is as ripped as he can get at 5'8", but bulk up on leg strength for board battles, explosiveness, stamina - things he'll need to succeed in a pro season), and take another year in on the wing for a skilled shoot-first center with some size.

If he can work on his board battles (strength on the puck) and quickness (avoiding checks), I believe he can still be that good playmaking winger that can set up plays and run the play in the offensive zone from the wing like St. Louis.

Question is, who can be our 2nd line center for Schroeder? I think Hodgson will get another full season in the AHL next season, and will be the go-to guy and the #1 center. Hopefully we have a bigger body than Hodgson with decent shooting capabilities on center for Schroeder to play with. Otherwise, I wouldn't mind seeing Schroeder play with Hodgson either a la Shirokov and start setting up Hodgson and Sweatt for some nice plays (though this could be redundant - personally believe both Hodgson and Schroeder need to be the go-to guys on their lines - hold on, control and distributing the puck).

Hah two different topics and I agree with both your posts bureisbest.

People who call 20 year old prospects "busts" must have 0 knowledge of a professional hockey player's development process.

It is simply astonishing watching all these posts about guys from Cody to Souve to Jordan saying we should trade them so we can actually get something in return. Look at a guy like burrows....didn't even look like a bottom six nhler till his mid 20s....and now he plays on the top line in the NHL two years in a row.

Get a freaking clue people.....

remeber Burrows also didnt get drafted too

Guest Dasein

Another video from this guy on our prospect Jordan Schroeder. Kind of floats and definitely needs to work on compete level and battles along the boards.

His vision and skill is unreal though. Especially the play at 5:00 - such a great play.

Another video from this guy on our prospect Jordan Schroeder. Kind of floats and definitely needs to work on compete level and battles along the boards.

His vision and skill is unreal though. Especially the play at 5:00 - such a great play.

I like his signature goal celebration, it's simple but Strong.

he'll need at least this entire year, but people really shouldn't give up on him. what I saw of him he shows flashes of brilliance, he just needs to put it all together consistently. far too often would a shift go by without me even knowing he was on the ice, whereas every time cody or shiro were on the ice you knew it. Even when Billy was on the ice you'd know it.

i read that mr. shroeder isn't much of a professional. no one doubts the kid is super gifted. it just seems he lacks the ability to get up for every game. that being said i feel that he is an unreal big game player. his world junior numbers i hear are pretty epic. if he can play like that all the time he will be fine.

I'm going to Say Schroeder will rip it up next season.

How about 15-25 goals and 50-60 assists.

i think everyone would love to see those numbers, but i think he needs steady linemates who are willing to come and grind even when he won't.

Archived