The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Attn: Invalid Sources

b3.

On the topic of Eklund,

http://nhl.fanhouse....stions-about-a/

Here is a nice read on that. Note the byline...it's Yahoo's Puck Daddy himself.

The problem with Eklund is that he has no filter. Someone over on HFBoards made up a rumor about the Blues making a trade at the draft...and Eklund ran with it and posted it on his site.

Anyone wanna tell me why NHLSourcesSay is an invalid source?

He's affiliated with HendricksHockey, the owner of which is a chubby Habs fan who has absolutely nothing to do with sports journalism. I think he's in IT or an engineer or something.

The Twitter account takes other stories and passes them off as his own. If you're following people like Dreger, Bob McKenzie, etc. it's VERY easy to see.

He also makes things up. The biggest (when I was paying attention to that account) was that he was insisting that Mat Schneider was going to retire rather than go and play in the AHL when that whole waivers thing was going on this season. Last I checked, he played a number of games with the Moose before being traded to the Coyotes. So much for retirement.

If you keep track and pay attention it's patently obvious he's just someone with a lot of time on his hands and absolutely zero credentials.

And folks may point to his followers on Twitter as being legitimate...well, he bulk follows people on Twitter who are actively using NHL themed hashtags and gets reciprocals. He added me for a while before dropping me cos I didn't add him back.

Not sure why School Your Pool would be an invalid source. They only report rumours from the legitimate sources and are no different than Spectors Hockey.

I believe the site is shutting down, but I'll answer your question nontheless.

While they do post rumours from legitimate sources and link to those sources (props to them), they are really not providing anything more than what CDC provides itself.

It is mainly a site that conglomerates NHL Rumours into one place, which is exactly what this section of the board is doing. There isn't much of any commentary on the rumours, just a very small excerpt. When users post from SchoolYourPool, they aren't posting the full article, just that excerpt. So in order to get to the original article, users have to go from CDC --> SchoolYourPool --> Original Article.

There isn't really much need for the middleman when users can just post a link to the original source, rather than another site in-between.

The core of the issue is, websites that pop up trying to drive traffic to their site using this sites fanbase. So, they grab articles and news from around the web from legitimate sources and re-post them (sometimes sourcing the sites, sometimes not) acting as a go-between.

I'm not saying SchoolYourPool has any malicious intent, or is trying to do this, but that is the main reason why they get grouped in with that particular type of invalid source.

As for Spector, he writes for Fox Sports. He does write his own articles and tweet his own updates, as well as comment on other sources.

I hope that helps answer your question.

Paul Kukla writes for NHL.com. That's where I know him from anyways. I've only really seen him there and also from some of the times he's posted on twitter.

I don't disagree his website does post the news from other sources mostly and then he comments on that news, but it's sort of a grey area because of his background.

He's affiliated with HendricksHockey, the owner of which is a chubby Habs fan who has absolutely nothing to do with sports journalism. I think he's in IT or an engineer or something.

The Twitter account takes other stories and passes them off as his own. If you're following people like Dreger, Bob McKenzie, etc. it's VERY easy to see.

He also makes things up. The biggest (when I was paying attention to that account) was that he was insisting that Mat Schneider was going to retire rather than go and play in the AHL when that whole waivers thing was going on this season. Last I checked, he played a number of games with the Moose before being traded to the Coyotes. So much for retirement.

If you keep track and pay attention it's patently obvious he's just someone with a lot of time on his hands and absolutely zero credentials.

And folks may point to his followers on Twitter as being legitimate...well, he bulk follows people on Twitter who are actively using NHL themed hashtags and gets reciprocals. He added me for a while before dropping me cos I didn't add him back.

But at least he gets the minor signings faster than anybody.... I mean last off-season, he was a pretty big name in the Twitter world for FA signings... Had a good track record.. I dunno, I still follow him.

But at least he gets the minor signings faster than anybody.... I mean last off-season, he was a pretty big name in the Twitter world for FA signings... Had a good track record.. I dunno, I still follow him.

I agree, people need to understand that everything these people say aren't gonna come to fortune, its the trade talks ect behind the scenes that are being let out, i have been following NHLSourcesSay for about a year now and I've been pretty happy with his work, yes he's not always right but he has broke some signings and is pretty on par with his work. If Eklund is a credible source on CDC i dont see why he cant.

CDC is the ULTRA source. We get every single rumour from the whole internet in 10 minutes. All the signings and trades in less then 3 minutes. We have hundreds of people competing to be the first person to break the story. Non canucks fans should come here for rumours and opinions!!! On top of all that we have our own rumour-validity checking system.... By sheer number of comments and people! (and strict Mods)

Sportsnet also hired Nick Kypreos.

So yeah, I wouldn't put too much stock into their HR policy :P

It's pretty easy to 'make up' a rumor, and getting legitimate people to be at your site is rather easy. Flash some cash and there you go.

He gets cash from his ridiculous ads and/or pay site.

Uses cash to pay real sports journalists to say a few words on his site.

Gets more cash from idiots listening to his insane ramblings.

It's an awesome business model, but realistically, I remember someone doing a post not too far ago about his accuracy on some of the 'higher' rumors, and it was something like 3%.

Throw enough of it at a wall, something will stick.

Mods, perfect example why @NHLSourcesSay should be at least considered a credible source.

He doesn't break the story he just copies other people and acts like he broke it. He has multiple times copied false info. then he just deletes it. He's a bigger fraud than Eklund.

He doesn't break the story he just copies other people and acts like he broke it. He has multiple times copied false info. then he just deletes it. He's a bigger fraud than Eklund.

look at the times posted before anyone else....

Isn't it about time we heard an explanation from the people who make the rules? An assertion like you just made has to be proven, also. I think @NHLSourcesSay has been pretty reliable for a year now.

Archived