Welcome to canucks.com Vancouver Canucks homepage

Photo

Breast feeding in public

• Please log in to reply
405 replies to this topic

Poll: Breast feeding in public (186 member(s) have cast votes)

Should women be allowed to breast feed in public?

1. Voted Yes, unconditionally (77 votes [41.62%])

Percentage of vote: 41.62%

2. Yes but they should cover up (89 votes [48.11%])

Percentage of vote: 48.11%

3. Yes but in separated rooms (8 votes [4.32%])

Percentage of vote: 4.32%

4. No (9 votes [4.86%])

Percentage of vote: 4.86%

5. Other (2 votes [1.08%])

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#91 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:35 PM

What!? You're sure that as long as you're not endangering someone, hitting someone is still assault? Who's not endangering someone? The breastfeeding mom? I'm sure getting clocked by her would be an endangerment to the one staring at her....if she's doing it right.

Anyways, stop drinking and posting.

I am stone cold sober.

If you hit someone for annoying you as opposed to endangering you it's assault.

What's funny is the guy above notes that most of the time women are discrete so it's not really going to be an issue in the first place. If women are already held to societal norms and concerned about the health of their baby don't you think it's a bit a stretch to think that one is going to engage a stranger in a fist fight?????

#92 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

I am stone cold sober.

If you hit someone for annoying you as opposed to endangering you it's assault.

What's funny is the guy above notes that most of the time women are discrete so it's not really going to be an issue in the first place. If women are already held to societal norms and concerned about the health of their baby don't you think it's a bit a stretch to think that one is going to engage a stranger in a fist fight?????

That's kinda the issue, isn't it....

And you're the kinda a guy who would like for women to remember their place and behave according to the social norms that puritans such as yourself create and argue for.

Posted Image Pittsburgh Penguins - CDC GML Posted Image

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#93 ccc44

ccc44

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,423 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:09 AM

its fine if discretion used and they cover up
Posted Image
SHOTS ! SHOTS ! SHOTS !

#94 aaaa322

aaaa322

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:12 AM

I don't even feel there is need to cover up, I mean the baby's head blocks the whole breast anyways. It's a natural thing and really I'm surprised that so many people are offended by it.

#95 Likewise

Likewise

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,540 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:17 AM

Ronthecivil has his coolface going :towel:
Posted Image

#96 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 01:35 AM

What kind of tool is offended by breasts performing their primary function? That kind of ignorance boggles the mind.

#97 Wetcoaster

Wetcoaster

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 40,454 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 06:10 AM

I see what you did there, lol.

As back to the topic at hand... I don't see why it's such a big deal for a mother to breastfeed her child in a private area. Sure your baby is hungry, but it's not like you have 30 seconds to give the kid milk or else it'll die. Just take a couple of minutes, walk down to a private booth and feed your child.

There are private washrooms or places to change your child's diaper. If there are none or in bad sanitary condition, I highly doubt any clothing stores will deny you the use of one of their stalls for you to breastfeed.

In any case, I would assume that feeding your child in a closed, secure and private area would be much better than doing it in public where there are creeps and strange people present.

You may not see it as big deal but the law does.

It is very simple - Nursing mothers have the right to breastfeed their children in a public area, and it is discriminatory to ask them to cover up or breastfeed somewhere else.

Your "solution" is a breach of the law.
To err is human - but to really screw up you need a computer.

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done and why. Then do it.

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Illegitimi non carborundum.

Never try to teach a pig to sing - it wastes your time and annoys the pig.

#98 JAH

JAH

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:02 AM

There are private washrooms or places to change your child's diaper. If there are none or in bad sanitary condition, I highly doubt any clothing stores will deny you the use of one of their stalls for you to breastfeed.

Do you like eating while sitting on the crapper, with the soothing sounds of other people's bowel movements and the pleasant odor only a public washroom can supply? No? Then why do you expect a baby to be relegated to such conditions in order to eat?

It's a nipple, we all have them. They aren't dirty, gross looking, or unusual. Get over yourself.
'It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.' - Muhammad Ali

#99 McMillan

McMillan

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 09:19 AM

I am absolutely amazed at how much of a heated topic this has become. Honestly the argument has become far bigger than the issue is. According to the poll very few believe that mothers shouldn't be allowed to breast feed in public, which is good. After that it's just an argument of some people wanting the mothers to be discreet about it or not.

To a couple of you (and you know who you are) what's with the threats of violence? Honestly it just makes you look stupid. Sure you have a different view on this but really all you can do is fall back to threats of physical assault? I think the argument on staring when a mother is feeding isn't as much meant towards purposely making thing awkward for all parties but more so a reaction to those overly sensitive mothers who give you an evil glare the second they realize that you realized they're breast feeding.

Really I'm just shocked at how "big" of an issue this has become when it's not really much of one at all. Some people would like it done discreetly and the polite thing to do would be to just kindly cover up a bit more rather than create an issue out of someone else's discomfort

Posted Image

Thanks VC for the sig!

Demo was great, but I'm a two-way guy.

#100 -Vintage Canuck-

-Vintage Canuck-

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 70,497 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:03 AM

If you don't mind it, then why should they cover up?

i said i dont mind it when they cover up..

307mg00.jpg

#101 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:23 AM

You may not see it as big deal but the law does.

It is very simple - Nursing mothers have the right to breastfeed their children in a public area, and it is discriminatory to ask them to cover up or breastfeed somewhere else.

Your "solution" is a breach of the law.

Only THEIR children? What, no wetmothers?

#102 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:28 AM

What kind of tool is offended by breasts performing their primary function? That kind of ignorance boggles the mind.

Who's offended?

#103 kyledude

kyledude

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Who's offended?

Apparently someone, since we're having this debate.

#104 suolucidir

suolucidir

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,221 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:37 AM

What!? You're sure that as long as you're not endangering someone, hitting someone is still assault? Who's not endangering someone? The breastfeeding mom? I'm sure getting clocked by her would be an endangerment to the one staring at her....if she's doing it right.

Anyways, stop drinking and posting.

You can not physically assault someone for staring. Don't want people staring, don't go out in public. It's irrational for you to say that they should be allowed to do this in public with the expectation that nobody will look.

I voted "Yes, unconditionally." Just as nobody should be able to prevent a mother or wet-nurse from feeding their child in any situation, you can't dictate where someone is permitted to direct their gaze. It's creepy to stare, but creepy ain't illegal. Certain creepy activities are illegal, but being creepy itself isn't.
PSN: CloakOfSkill

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists somewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

It bugs me when people pull out the gold medal for an example... Luongo only had to outplay Brodeur.

#105 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:42 AM

i said i dont mind it when they cover up..

Oh well, as long as as you don't mind it then...because all rights should exist and people should be free to exercise those rights based on whether people mind or not...

Do you see how small minded that comment and perhaps your thought process is? Do you mind if Gay people get married or just as long as you don't have to hear about it? Do you mind that men and women are equal in the workplace, or just when those women aren't competing with you for a job? Do you mind that people can worship freely, or is just when they don't do it publicly or it's not your brand of god delusion? Did you mind it when you're mother was treated as a second class citizen who was made to feel shameful and had to scurry into a bathroom to feed your narrow-minded donkey? Do you mind if women assert a little control over their biological duties of feeding their babies, or are you a guy and so, that stuff doesn't really matter to you anyways, cause you'll never have to make that decision or feel the judging eyes of society on you and so, never be able to empathize with a woman who have people telling her what they mind her doing and not doing, like she's just cattle, good enough to drink and grow strong from but too dumb to know what's good for her or her baby?

I hope you don't mind me saying.....

"My goal is to win the Stanley Cup, and after the offer I received from Buffalo, I believe this is the best place to make it happen." - Christian Ehrhoff

#106 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:51 AM

You can not physically assault someone for staring. Don't want people staring, don't go out in public. It's irrational for you to say that they should be allowed to do this in public with the expectation that nobody will look.

I voted "Yes, unconditionally." Just as nobody should be able to prevent a mother or wet-nurse from feeding their child in any situation, you can't dictate where someone is permitted to direct their gaze. It's creepy to stare, but creepy ain't illegal. Certain creepy activities are illegal, but being creepy itself isn't.

I never said you could legally hit someone for staring....i'm saying, if you are staring at a woman while she's breastfeeding, and I don't mean taking a look or having a quick gaze out of suprise, I mean staring....then don't be surprised if you get one upseide the head.

And don't be surprised if you get you teeth knocked in for staring at another man's woman.

And don't be surprised if you don't get a slap in the face for looking down a woman's blouse or up her skirt.

And don't be surprised if some kicks your donkey for staring at their small child in her bathing suit.

You're right, people can't dictate where people stare, so like I said go on and stare in order to prove a point...please prove a point. Like I said nothing will happen...you'll be just fine....cause creepy aint illegal, right?

Let me know what the 'real' world does to you, okey doke?

#107 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

I never said you could legally hit someone for staring....i'm saying, if you are staring at a woman while she's breastfeeding, and I don't mean taking a look or having a quick gaze out of suprise, I mean staring....then don't be surprised if you get one upseide the head.

And don't be surprised if you get you teeth knocked in for staring at another man's woman.

And don't be surprised if you don't get a slap in the face for looking down a woman's blouse or up her skirt.

And don't be surprised if some kicks your donkey for staring at their small child in her bathing suit.

You're right, people can't dictate where people stare, so like I said go on and stare in order to prove a point...please prove a point. Like I said nothing will happen...you'll be just fine....cause creepy aint illegal, right?

Let me know what the 'real' world does to you, okey doke?

The real worlds charges you with assault.

#108 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:06 AM

The real worlds charges you with assault.

I and many others would be fine with that. Everthing has consequences....but an assault charge for a first time offender here?... :lol:

No worries...i'd be released in a day...without any conditions put on me. Then i'd mount a full defense based on assault due to provocation and harassment. My defence would be better than "Sorry your honor, I was staring because It's my right to stare"

In the real world, I can get by just fine with a decent lawyer....and then sue the person civilly for harrassment to recoupl some expenses. And I would. But people take their chances when acting like donkey's by staring, harassing, and provoking women in public.

#109 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:11 AM

I and many others would be fine with that. Everthing has consequences....but an assault charge for a first time offender here?... :lol:

No worries...i'd be released in a day...without any conditions put on me. Then i'd mount a full defense based on assault due to provocation and harassment. My defence would be better than "Sorry your honor, I was staring because It's my right to stare"

In the real world, I can get by just fine with a decent lawyer....and then sue the person civilly for harrassment to recoupl some expenses. And I would. But people take their chances when acting like donkey's by staring, harassing, and provoking women in public.

Good luck with that.

What's funny is you still don't understand the concept that not acting discretely might make a lot of people stare so those asault charges might start to pile up, never mind the consequences of starting fights with random people.

You expect other people to be discrete but don't expect others to do the same? The hypocricy is amazing.

#110 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:12 AM

LOLZ U DONE TALKIN LIKE A 10 YEAR OLD INTERNETZ COOL GUY?

Yep. It has the desired effect.

#111 JAH

JAH

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:18 AM

In the real world, behaviour like you suggested will quickly label you a pervert, weirdo, a-hole, and misogynist. The mother is likely to berate and embarrass you, and you will get no sympathy from the public. If struck, you may find that 'objective' bystanders give statements to the police that get you in a little bit of trouble. Not to mention a full blown butt kicking a few times a month.

Good luck with that.
'It's just a job. Grass grows, birds fly, waves pound the sand. I beat people up.' - Muhammad Ali

#112 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:21 AM

Good luck with that.

What's funny is you still don't understand the concept that not acting discretely might make a lot of people stare so those asault charges might start to pile up, never mind the consequences of starting fights with random people.

You expect other people to be discrete but don't expect others to do the same? The hypocricy is amazing.

What I find funny is that you're still finding things to argue against even though there's not point in the argument as this manner of behaviour(breastdeeding) is protected by law.

But you like to argue for anything...you're like a super cdc arguing machine...you don't listen and reflect on what someone else is saying. Nope, you just keep on going like the itty bitty arguing machine. Anyways, i'm done hitting my head against your brickwall.

You keep on staring at breastfeeding women...i'm sure with your mentality and personality, that's about the closest you'll ever get to a breast anyways.

Your obtuseness is amazing...precedented...but still amazing.

#113 Sharpshooter

Sharpshooter

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 24,379 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:25 AM

In the real world, behaviour like you suggested will quickly label you a pervert, weirdo, a-hole, and misogynist. The mother is likely to berate and embarrass you, and you will get no sympathy from the public. If struck, you may find that 'objective' bystanders give statements to the police that get you in a little bit of trouble. Not to mention a full blown butt kicking a few times a month.

Good luck with that.

Wow, your comprehension level is stunningly embarrassing. You, think that I'm the one advocating for people to stare at women while breastfeeding?

Reading is fundamental.....

#114 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

What I find funny is that you're still finding things to argue against even though there's not point in the argument as this manner of behaviour(breastdeeding) is protected by law.

But you like to argue for anything...you're like a super cdc arguing machine...you don't listen and reflect on what someone else is saying. Nope, you just keep on going like the itty bitty arguing machine. Anyways, i'm done hitting my head against your brickwall.

You keep on staring at breastfeeding women...i'm sure with your mentality and personality, that's about the closest you'll ever get to a breast anyways.

Your obtuseness is amazing...precedented...but still amazing.

I don't stare at breastfeeding women. I was pointing out that not acting discretely might bring unwanted attention.

You then felt the need to be the knight in shining armour. I was simply pointing out that shiny knights often wind up in jail or worse.

If you can't understand these concepts it's not my problem.

#115 JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,600 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:44 AM

Do you like eating while sitting on the crapper, with the soothing sounds of other people's bowel movements and the pleasant odor only a public washroom can supply? No? Then why do you expect a baby to be relegated to such conditions in order to eat?

It's a nipple, we all have them. They aren't dirty, gross looking, or unusual. Get over yourself.

No kidding, i read this guys comments again and thought the same thing. I don't even wanna crap in most crappers yet this guy wants women to feed babies there. Apparently if you are in public and your baby needs to feed you better hope there is a clothing store or porta potty around. Oh yeah, and most clothing stores only have a couple of change rooms anyway, i'm sure they wouldn't mind losing business while women line up to feed babies
Posted Image

#116 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 11:54 AM

No kidding, i read this guys comments again and thought the same thing. I don't even wanna crap in most crappers yet this guy wants women to feed babies there. Apparently if you are in public and your baby needs to feed you better hope there is a clothing store or porta potty around. Oh yeah, and most clothing stores only have a couple of change rooms anyway, i'm sure they wouldn't mind losing business while women line up to feed babies

Your a confusing (or is it confused) fellow....

#117 JAH

JAH

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,284 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:02 PM

In the end, breastfeeding is something we should be ENCOURAGING, not discouraging. Relegating moms to bathrooms, making them feel as if what they are doing is somehow undesireable, and generally creating barriers to breastfeeding is a bad idea. Breastfeeding is incredibly healthy, it boosts the baby's immune system, and has all kinds of benefits for the mother. Leering should be met with disdain, and requests to go elsewhere should be met with a firm 'no, get over yourself'.

#118 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:07 PM

In the end, breastfeeding is something we should be ENCOURAGING, not discouraging. Relegating moms to bathrooms, making them feel as if what they are doing is somehow undesireable, and generally creating barriers to breastfeeding is a bad idea. Breastfeeding is incredibly healthy, it boosts the baby's immune system, and has all kinds of benefits for the mother. Leering should be met with disdain, and requests to go elsewhere should be met with a firm 'no, get over yourself'.

Don't encourage learing by being discrete. And no you don't have to run into the bathroom. I have seen plenty of women that are pretty good at it. I am betting some don't give a damn though. It's the latter that have their rights just as protected, though it should be noted that social consequences of that might be unconfortable. That's been my point.

Is that such a hard concept to grab? The majority of people that responded feel that it's fine so long as they "cover up". What that is can be up for interpretation but I am fairly sure so long as there is an effort made we will all be fine.

#119 Limes

Limes

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:17 PM

I was on my way to Vancouver a few weeks backs, and I got hungry so I decided to grab a bite a A@W. I order my food, got it, and sat down at a table. A few tables next to me there was this family (Wife, husband, kids, mom, and dad). While I was eating, I look over and I see the wife pull down her top and started to breast feed her little baby. It was just a little strange to me that she would do that in front of her family - including her parents. And I saw many people starting to stare at her, including me.

It's not that big of a deal, it was just very strange.

#120 ronthecivil

ronthecivil

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,172 posts

Posted 10 August 2010 - 12:19 PM

I was on my way to Vancouver a few weeks backs, and I got hungry so I decided to grab a bite a A@W. I order my food, got it, and sat down at a table. A few tables next to me there was this family (Wife, husband, kids, mom, and dad). While I was eating, I look over and I see the wife pull down her top and started to breast feed her little baby. It was just a little strange to me that she would do that in front of her family - including her parents. And I saw many people starting to stare at her, including me.

It's not that big of a deal, it was just very strange.

Did a brawl ensure, or were the internet tough guys not at that particular A&W?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.