The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Breast feeding in public

McMillan

185 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, but mothers should also consider others that may not be comfortable with this. There needs to be some discretion, mothers need to meet halfway with both the needs of their baby and the people around them. The whole militant mother breast feeding thing is absolutely asinine, like the time when dozens of mom's brought their babies to feed at the downtown H&M after a staff member told one mom that customers were getting uncomfortable.

Personally I don't see what the big deal is, I recall a few years ago at my tennis club, I'd just finished playing and went to sit down, our club has a large deck attached to the clubhouse, I started talking to a woman I'd played mixed doubles against a few times, and played against her husband as well, I must have talked with her for 10 minutes before I even realized she was breast-feeding her baby. There are far more serious things in this world to concern yourself with.

I nursed both my kids and unless I wanted to stay home ALL THE TIME, there were times that I nursed them in public. But, I made sure that I covered up always.

Not just for my comfort, but for everyone else, too.

There is nothing hard about covering up. The only time that I found covering up was not a good thing was when we were having a heat wave. My poor guy used to have hour-long nursing sessions and when I had him covered up, he was getting over-heated. So, as I was at a park, I just found a less populated area and uncovered him, but kept myself covered. Just takes some creative draping. :lol:

So, it's a completely natural and important part of being a nursing mother. But, yeah, I think having respect for those around you who are uncomfortable is important.

That said, I'm glad to see that more and more places have areas for women to nurse. When I nursed my first born there weren't many options, so I'd have to do it on benches in the middle of malls, etc. Nowadays, there are more spots to go. I remember Granville island having a nice little room that was actually cozy and decorated really sweet.

My wrap up comment: it's all about common-sense, respect of others (on both sides of the coin), and it's all about people growing up.

Yes, but mothers should also consider others that may not be comfortable with this. There needs to be some discretion, mothers need to meet halfway with both the needs of their baby and the people around them. The whole militant mother breast feeding thing is absolutely asinine, like the time when dozens of mom's brought their babies to feed at the downtown H&M after a staff member told one mom that customers were getting uncomfortable.

<br />Its like that naked old dude that was in the Pride Parade....where there were tens of thousands of people watching.<br /><br />I was with a pair of girls at the parade..and one of them turned away and lit a ciggie because she didnt want to watch &quot;old balls&quot;.<br /><br />Pretty simple solution, i reckon.<br /><br />People can do the same if they happen to see someone breastfeeding...and i think you glossed over the part where i said that additionally...mothers really should pick their places, because there are people that are still square to the concept.<br />

I nursed both my kids and unless I wanted to stay home ALL THE TIME, there were times that I nursed them in public. But, I made sure that I covered up always.

Not just for my comfort, but for everyone else, too.

There is nothing hard about covering up. The only time that I found covering up was not a good thing was when we were having a heat wave. My poor guy used to have hour-long nursing sessions and when I had him covered up, he was getting over-heated. So, as I was at a park, I just found a less populated area and uncovered him, but kept myself covered. Just takes some creative draping. :lol:

So, it's a completely natural and important part of being a nursing mother. But, yeah, I think having respect for those around you who are uncomfortable is important.

That said, I'm glad to see that more and more places have areas for women to nurse. When I nursed my first born there weren't many options, so I'd have to do it on benches in the middle of malls, etc. Nowadays, there are more spots to go. I remember Granville island having a nice little room that was actually cozy and decorated really sweet.

My wrap up comment: it's all about common-sense, respect of others (on both sides of the coin), and it's all about people growing up.

Thankyou, you are the voice of sanity. Thanks for your input. It really is not a big deal and yes, it can be done discretely for sure.....My wife breastfeeds in public and is discrete about it but nobody is going to tell me my baby girl can't be fed because it "offends someone". On the old dude and his even older balls.....That really is uncalled for. The Pride Parade is not intended nor does it need senseless frontal nudity. I am not against nudity in public, but really had nothing to do with the "Pride" Parade, some people just want to see the limits they can push. No point making a spectacle of himself, glad he is proud of himself. But wrong idea.

then you should be considerate of others and not talk as you might offend someone. Hell why don't we lock the mothers in their houses until the breastfeeding stage is over. I would say ask your mother but your parents are part of the reason why you feel this way. It is upbringing.

you have made some great posts in the past but this is just not well thought through. Urinating and defecating in public is nothing compared to being topless. Then people should not be allowed to swear in public. You would have a different attitude towards it if you were brought up in a different society. Europe is alot more open towards that then North America. North americans are so uptight about nudity. It is your upbringing. Raised in Europe you would wonder why anyone would go against being topless or breastfeeding in public.

You may not see it as big deal but the law does.

It is very simple - Nursing mothers have the right to breastfeed their children in a public area, and it is discriminatory to ask them to cover up or breastfeed somewhere else.

Your "solution" is a breach of the law.

I said private toilers, those specially built for parents with little children. Those are usually pretty clean and far away from regular washroom so you won't hear some guy who had bean & cheese for all 3 meals.

If you're in a park or in the middle of nowhere, breastfeeding in public is fine, I never it wasn't. Just if you're in a mall or nearby a clothing store, I don't see why mothers wouldn't take advantage of the changing stalls. Most mainstream clothing stores have at least 6-10 stalls available, which are clean, usually roomy and it's just good customer service too. More or less, a win-win for everyone.

I worked somewhere that was frequented by moms and their babies constantly. I saw breastfeeding regularly through the day, probably 4 days a week

So I'm totally for chicks being able to breast feed, as the vast majority of those times it was just a totally natural nonissue. A few doubletakes here and there, but nobody complained EVER, to my knowledge.

Buuuuuuuut to think some of you are so lax about it is kind of baffling. I've seen some women walk around EXTREMELY carelessly, almost to the point of it being flaunting. It was a lot more than a simple double take at these points. If I were to be called a prude because I didn't want to see what these women were doing, and the influence they had over the social atmosphere of the work place, then so be it, I'm a prude.

There are a lot of ways to conceal breastfeeding. or if not conceal, then there's a way to make it more private, yet comfortable for everyone (mother, baby, public) involved. These ways aren't hard to come by. In fact, there's an entire market for it.

Breastfeed in public, just be aware of your surroundings and sensibilities of others

I worked somewhere that was frequented by moms and their babies constantly. I saw breastfeeding regularly through the day, probably 4 days a week

So I'm totally for chicks being able to breast feed, as the vast majority of those times it was just a totally natural nonissue. A few doubletakes here and there, but nobody complained EVER, to my knowledge.

Buuuuuuuut to think some of you are so lax about it is kind of baffling. I've seen some women walk around EXTREMELY carelessly, almost to the point of it being flaunting. It was a lot more than a simple double take at these points. If I were to be called a prude because I didn't want to see what these women were doing, and the influence they had over the social atmosphere of the work place, then so be it, I'm a prude.

There are a lot of ways to conceal breastfeeding. or if not conceal, then there's a way to make it more private, yet comfortable for everyone (mother, baby, public) involved. These ways aren't hard to come by. In fact, there's an entire market for it.

Breastfeed in public, just be aware of your surroundings and sensibilities of others

Archived