b3.

Nicklas Jensen Talk

5,338 posts in this topic

I remember this kid being impressive last year in camp. Some one tell me, why can't he make this years Canucks? What the down side on him making the big club.

Going to the bigger Euro ice surface doesn't really get him ready for the NHL does it? Bad move from where I sit. that said I don't know as much as other on this guy so can some one tell me why he can make the jump?

if he can make the team, that's awesome, and obviously a good thing. However, the chances of that happening are slim because if he makese the team, he has to be carried on our roster all season. There is nowhere we can send him if he doesn't perform. The Canucks are a contending team and every roster spot matters, so they aren't going to take any risks in dedicating a roster spot to a rookie. They have to be very, very certain that Jensen will be earning his minutes all season.

The next point is about going back to juniors. Jensen has shown and even said himself in interviews that he is better in games that have "structure." Many players struggle with the structured game in the NHL, full of role playing veterans that impose that structure on the game. These kinds of tradesmen don't exist in the minors, but they do exist in the Swedish pro league. Jensen will get to play in a league with more structure and against veteran players if he goes to Sweden. He'll get NHL ready faster.

Haha Jensen just became Don Cherry's #1 scapegoat for his crusade to exclude all foreigners from the CHL.

Cherry: "LOOK - we let them in and they BOLT to their country whenever they WISH! I think of how many good young Canadian boys could have played in their spots and this disgusts me"

McLean: "Don, Jensen is from Denmark - not Sweden where he will be playing - and is a fine young man who will be a great player for the Vancouver Canucks some day (sucking up to VAN because of the Burrows incident)"

Cherry: "Shaddap you wimp"

Jensen taking the European route - I think it's best. Hopefully more young players take advantage of this and go. I have a feeling not many Canadian or American players will exercise this right though it's probably best for them if they are ready to turn pro.

Under GM Markus Naslund :bigblush:

I lol'ed hard when I saw what Cherry said. How did I know this is how he would react? :rolleyes:

Right now he's too good for the OHL but needs to improve defensively against bigger, stronger and faster competition. And if he's not making the team this year, you might as well get paid. Nothing illegal about this move, the only team that gets the short end of the stick here is Oshawa.

One concern might be the bigger ice and whether or not it'll be a hindrance to him adjusting to the smaller rinks again when he comes back to NA.

Another thing to note is that the SEL team will have nothing invested in him other than his pay cheque, so they're not inclined to play him big minutes if he doesn't deserve it. Hence why he's probably looking at different teams right now to see where he might have more of an opportunity to play in the top 6. I think Frölunda is a possible destination as I've heard they aren't as deep on the wing, while Modo might be a good place too as they're good at developing young players, plus the Gillis-Naslund connection! :frantic:

Nicklas Jensen is listed as 6'3 205 now, per Training Camp invite list:

46 JENSEN, NICKLAS W 6’3” 205 HERNING, DEN MAR 16 1993 CHICAGO (AHL) 6 4 0 4 6 OSHAWA (OHL) 57 25 33 58 29

Jensen chooses Stockholm AIK as his Swedish club

Canucks prospect Nicklas Jensen will head to the Swedish capital at the beginning of August to begin training with Swedish Elite League team Stockholm AIK.

Jensen will prepare to play in Stockholm if – as expected – he doesn’t stick with the Canucks at training camp in September. He’ll be released from the Swedish club to attend NHL camp.

The Canucks’ top pick (29th overall) in last year’s NHL draft has opted not to return to Oshawa Generals of the OHL for a third season, his agent saying he needs a higher competitive level.

“I talked to the coach and they are great people,” said Jensen, 19, following the final ice sessions of the Canucks prospects camp at Rogers Arena.

“They’ve talked to my agent and they thought that was the place that suited me the best.”

Jensen had an excellent showing with the Canucks’ Chicago Wolves AHL affiliate following his junior season – scoring six goals in eight games – but can’t play in the AHL next season due to an agreement with Canadian major junior hockey banning 18- and 19-year-olds from playing in the minors.

Jensen, who’s born and raised in Denmark, said AIK head coach Per-Erik Johnsson hasn’t given him any promises about ice-time.

“You can’t say to any player that you are going on the first or second line,” said Jensen. “You just have to go over there and play. The SEL is not just some place you just show up and play. You have to earn your ice-time. I want to go there and prove that I can play in that league, too, and we’ll see what happens.”

Canucks assistant GM Lorne Henning said the NHL club supports the unusual move for Jensen.

“He’s played with men since he was 16 in Denmark and he played well in the AHL when he went there,” said Henning. “Unfortunately, he can’t go back there (to the AHL), so I think this is the next best thing for him, where he’s playing against men. Obviously, he’s got high-end talent, but he’s got a few things to work on. As far as we’re concerned it’s a pretty good step for him.”

I think his agent is not giving him the best advice. Sure he was real good as a 18 year old with the Wolves, however, his stats in the OHL last year, was anything but domination, if you consider guys like what Cody Hodgson did the following year, and so for. Another year in the OHL would not been a problem for anyone if you ask me. It feels like his agent wants to make a quick signing commision rather then have him go another year in the Juniors. But best of luck to him, I do think he wil do fine.

I feel the only way Jensen would make the Cnaucks is if he could play on the 2nd line. The problem is, that Kesler will not start the season and so we cannot tell if Jensen will have chemistry with Kesler. In order for Jensen to have a good shot at starting on the 2nd line we need Kesler to be 100%. It's too bad because Canucks really need a young guy like Jensen to earn a spot on the 2nd line.

I guess we will have to wait until the following season.

If Jensen stays its because Raymond was traded, otherwise we're too deep.

Edited by playboi19

If Jensen stays its because Raymond was traded, otherwise we're too deep.

if raymond is the only hurdle jensen has to surpass it's a slam dunk he'll be on the team.

I think his agent is not giving him the best advice. Sure he was real good as a 18 year old with the Wolves, however, his stats in the OHL last year, was anything but domination, if you consider guys like what Cody Hodgson did the following year, and so for. Another year in the OHL would not been a problem for anyone if you ask me. It feels like his agent wants to make a quick signing commision rather then have him go another year in the Juniors. But best of luck to him, I do think he wil do fine.

I disagree.

Jensen should play with professional men hence this decision to go to Stockholm is the right move for him, career wise.

The whole Raymond re-signing made absolutely no sense unless he is being traded in a lu package or something.

Raymond clogs up the pipes for a possible SHANE DOAN, a ZACK KASSIAN, and a NICKLAS JENSEN.

The whole Raymond re-signing made absolutely no sense unless he is being traded in a lu package or something.

Raymond clogs up the pipes for a possible SHANE DOAN, a ZACK KASSIAN, and a NICKLAS JENSEN.

You are right in that the Raymond signing is a bit confusing, given the few roster spots available. If the Canucks do in fact intend on signing Doan or acquiring a different top 6 forward somehow, someone has to go.

Henrik Sedin

Daniel Sedin

Ryan Kesler

Alex Burrows

David Booth

Mason Raymond

Chris Higgins

Jannik Hansen

Manny Malhotra

Maxim Lapierre

Zack Kassian

^ That's 11 forwards right there without another top 6 forward (Doan) or perhaps a rookie (Jensen). So, there is a roster spot available but it would mean that Higgins or Raymond would be centering the 3rd line, which isn't ideal.

On the topic of Nicklas Jensen, I actually think he has a great shot at making the team IF the Canucks don't acquire another top 6 forward. If they do, I can't see how Jensen wins a spot. If I had to make a prediction now, I'm thinking he plays in Sweden this year, which isn't a bad thing.

Jensen was one of the last players cut from the team last training camp. I think he has a great shot at making it. If he can prove he is trust worthy in his own end he can challenge Raymond for the final winger spot.

Well we have too many roster players. Jensen needs to play more minutes than he would if he's on the team, and playing 18 minutes a night is not a guarantee. He is only 19 and has more room to develop.

Biggest reason for supporting his move to SEL is his ELC won't count because NHL's deal with SEL ran out. So there is a "loophole" if you will now and we can have Jensen on a cheap ELC contract for at least one more year. That would go a long ways to alleviating our cap troubles later down the road to have a contending team.

I think Raymond needs to be dumped..preferably in a package with Lu. Jensen and Schroeder slot in on the third line with Higgins and Hansen moves down to fourth with Lappy and Kassian.

This gives us room to Sign a top 6 fwd i.e Doan/Semin

I think a year in Sweden helps him round out his offensive game and skating, but more importantly I think a season in Sweden will help him stay healthy. He doesn't need to play in the OHL where he won't develop as well playing against boys and not men and where he has a greater chance of getting another concussion or something.

I'm not sure how he decreases his chance of getting concussed by playing against bigger players...

I'm not sure how he decreases his chance of getting concussed by playing against bigger players...

Less physical league over there in Sweden, at least that's what 75% of us Canadians refuse to stop whining about.

if he can make the team, that's awesome, and obviously a good thing. However, the chances of that happening are slim because if he makese the team, he has to be carried on our roster all season. There is nowhere we can send him if he doesn't perform. The Canucks are a contending team and every roster spot matters, so they aren't going to take any risks in dedicating a roster spot to a rookie. They have to be very, very certain that Jensen will be earning his minutes all season.

The next point is about going back to juniors. Jensen has shown and even said himself in interviews that he is better in games that have "structure." Many players struggle with the structured game in the NHL, full of role playing veterans that impose that structure on the game. These kinds of tradesmen don't exist in the minors, but they do exist in the Swedish pro league. Jensen will get to play in a league with more structure and against veteran players if he goes to Sweden. He'll get NHL ready faster.

he technically doesn't have to remain on our team all season, he can go to sweden at any time, though he may not be able to be recalled (depends on the loan agreement/contract). if you mean the 10 game, burning a year of the contract thing, it's an issue, but not one so bad as to force him to remain on the team.