"Dream until the dream come true"

#62 chickenman92

chickenman92

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:43 AM

like the pick. he's got the tools to be a very good nhl player. at camp I would have him room with kesler and if some of kesler's work ethic could rub off on him we could be looking at a very scary player in a few years.
trade deadline hopes(some of)
1-Okposo 2-Bailey 3-Kaberle 4-MacArthur 5-Gunnarsson 6-Frolik 7-Stralman 8-Moulson 9-Filatov 10-Jurcina 11-Konopka 12-Lebda 13-Jackman 14-Fraser 15-Grier

#63 Niloc009

Niloc009

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,637 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:21 AM

He seems like a solid pick, but there's only one thing I'm worried about. He's rumoured to take shifts off, not play as hard as he could because he's tired or not as motivated. Hopefully when he meets the team and Kesler, Burrows, and Hansen show him the value of giving his all, every shift, every night, he'll turn into a spectacular player.

Posted Image

STHS Hockey League - Brooklyn Beavers GM

#64 Champions of Nothing

Champions of Nothing

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,961 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:53 AM

He seems like a solid pick, but there's only one thing I'm worried about. He's rumoured to take shifts off, not play as hard as he could because he's tired or not as motivated. Hopefully when he meets the team and Kesler, Burrows, and Hansen show him the value of giving his all, every shift, every night, he'll turn into a spectacular player.

They say that about a lot of young players. Could be a variety of reasons. Not being pushed by coaches, not being challenged enough on the ice, ect.

Often these things take care of themselves.

Posted ImagePosted Image
Sig by Ranyart. FEEL FREE TO USE EITHER!

VOTE FOR EDLER!

And might as well vote for Daniel, Henrik, Kesler, Luongo and..... I guess Aaron Rome?

#65 Barney Stinson

Barney Stinson

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,935 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 01:54 PM

I said it in the other thread in Canucks Talk, but it could be quite helpful to have Hansen to help him transition. They could room together and Hansen could teach him work ethic and hitting and maybe learn a little himself about how to finish a play!

Hansen teaching someone how to finish? :lol:

He'd be killer to have Hansen's work ethic though. I hope it rubs off on Jensen
Posted Image
Sven Bärtschi watch: 0GP 0G 0A 0Pts

#66 One one two

One one two

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,035 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

No, he said Hansen could learn a little something about finishing a play from Jensen. :P

#67 Erik Karlsson

Erik Karlsson

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,675 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

I have NHL 11 for ps3 and it never breaks down the potential for Offence, Defense, and Athleticism. Unlike NHL 10, it just gives me a simple A, A-, B, B- etc potential overall :(

? Yeah it does, right click on a player and in the top right hand part it will tell you.

Posted Image

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#68 Muse

Muse

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:31 PM

do you guys think he will play for the nucks next season? i hope so even though hes 18 and could use afew years in AHL

#69 KOHO39

KOHO39

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:37 PM

do you guys think he will play for the nucks next season? i hope so even though hes 18 and could use afew years in AHL

I don't really think that is realistic. Jensen is going to need a few years to develope his game.

#70 Brunners

Brunners

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,384 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:50 PM

He'll almost certainly be going back to Junior next year. He's not old enough for the AHL and I'd be VERY surprised if he manages to stick on the big club straight off the bat.

Posted Image

--

#71 Coconuts

Coconuts

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:51 PM

From what I've seem and read about him so far I am very impressed. He's got size and skill, and skates pretty well for a big guy. Work ethic can be learned and implemented. He's young and is sure to fill out and expand his game. I'm very happy with this pick, though I am surprised we managed to get him.

Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

#72 avelanch

avelanch

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 32,208 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:57 PM

he's still a couple years out, but he has the potential to be great. I can't wait to see how he performs next season in the OHL.

#73 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,845 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 03:58 PM

Most of our picks this year to go along with Arichibald are big guys who take it to another level in the Playoffs.
Posted Image

#74 danksedin

danksedin

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 04:24 PM

? Yeah it does, right click on a player and in the top right hand part it will tell you.

lmfao wow, i harsh goofed it. I didn't know you can scroll through the info like that

#75 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,996 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:03 PM

No, he said Hansen could learn a little something about finishing a play from Jensen. :P

Thanks, One one two. That was my intent that Hansen could learn from Jensen about finish although I can see how it'd be unclear.

I had pretty much the same post in the other thread but worded it to be more clear:

I wasn't too sure about him as I was interested in someone like Jenner this far down the draft, but he is an interesting prospect. The first thing I thought was when he makes it here, perhaps he'll room with Hansen and they can teach each other their strengths: Hansen can teach him work ethic and hitting while Jensen can teach him goal scoring/finishing.

No immediate impact from the sounds of things (didn't expect it) but could develop nicely.

Edited by elvis15, 25 June 2011 - 06:05 PM.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#76 sulihpoeht

sulihpoeht

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 06:27 PM

Thats not actually what he said, but what he meant, lol
GO CANUCKS GO!

#77 chickenman92

chickenman92

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,494 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:34 PM

did anyone else get the feeling when he was interviewing that he looks and sounds a lot like naslund. some of his goals look like nazzy's a few years ago.

i wonder if when gillis interviewed him he got chills

imo the resembelence is uncanny
trade deadline hopes(some of)
1-Okposo 2-Bailey 3-Kaberle 4-MacArthur 5-Gunnarsson 6-Frolik 7-Stralman 8-Moulson 9-Filatov 10-Jurcina 11-Konopka 12-Lebda 13-Jackman 14-Fraser 15-Grier

#78 Alexandre

Alexandre

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:22 PM

Didn't know anything about Jensen before the Canucks drafted him. I was looking at the players rated around the 29th position. He is the type of prospect I was hoping for in the first round - a skilled power forward. Sounds like Jensen has the right mindset to become a good NHLer.

#79 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 10:24 PM

did anyone else get the feeling when he was interviewing that he looks and sounds a lot like naslund. some of his goals look like nazzy's a few years ago.

i wonder if when gillis interviewed him he got chills

imo the resembelence is uncanny

Personally, I think his scouting report is much more akin to:

ASSETS: Is versatile, solid at both ends of the ice and great along the boards. Has underrated moves and a nose for the net.

FLAWS: Takes so much punishment in front of the opposing goal that he is prone to injury. Isn't a great passer, either.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Power forward.
http://www.letsgowin...anzen_johan.php

ASSETS: Skates very well for a big forward and always drives the net with authority. Is versatile, solid at both ends of the ice and great along the boards. Has underrated moves and a nose for the net. Creates space for his linemates.

FLAWS: Takes so much punishment in front of the opposing goal that he is prone to injuries and wear & tear. Needs to improve his passing ability. Could intimidate opponents better if he were more aggressive physically.

CAREER POTENTIAL: Very good scoring winger with size.
http://www.forecaste...player.cgi?3802

The knock on Franzen has been his sporadic play and playing below his capability (obviously not an issue once the tougher playoff style of game rolls around).

Jensen has a sizeable frame and the natural hockey qualities that scouts look for - soft hands, great shot, and a good hockey sense. Jensen lacks that elite top end speed but is capable of finding time and space with his slick hands and elusive playing style. It took Nicklas a while to adjust to the CHL game but he eventually impressed when he notched 11 goals and 8 assists in just twelve January games. The former Rookie of the Year in the top Danish League projects to become a top-6 scoring forward with 30+ goal scoring upside.

Scout’s Honour:

-NHL Central Scouting’s Chris Edwards,

“Nicklas has adjusted very well to the OHL. His puck-handling and play-making ability are excellent. He has an excellent wrist shot that he gets off quickly.

- Oshawa Generals GM and coach Chris DePiero,

“He’s starting to take off, certainly after Christmas, after he returned from the World Junior B pool and spending some time at home, since he’s been back he’s been on fire. It’s renewed confidence for him. He’s proving that the accolades coming his way are well deserved. They feed off each other (Lucas Lessio, Andy Andreoff and Nicklas Jensen). It’s not the pretty passing plays, it’s the little touch passes. They utilize their size and their quickness. Their puck protection is excellent. … They have a chemistry, the three of them. It’s been kind of neat.”

- Kirk Luedeke of B2011DW,

He’s a long strider who covers a lot of ground with a powerful push, but needs to keep the feet moving. He can really rip it, too- scores more than a few goals from the outside with laser release and ability to pick corners. So, while he brings some real impressive talents and abilities to the mix, Jensen has to keep his compete levels at a higher level. How far will he drop in the draft? Our guess is not too far past 20 if at all because he is such a talented player that a team is likely going to believe they can reach and keep motivated…If Boone Jenner’s motor was installed inside this kid, he’d be a top-three pick- no kidding. Big upside with this one, but some bust potential as well.”

- HockeyProspect.com’s 2011 NHL Draft Guide

NHL Potential:

Top 6 Scoring Line Winger or Bust (30+ G, 30 A)

Strengths:

*See “One Timer” section above

- Fantastic release and wrist shot

- Strong playmaking abilities

- Tremendous finishing ability

- NHL Size

Flaws/Aspects He Needs to Work On:

- Improve on his overall strength

- Needs to bring his ‘A’ game more consistently

- Continue to add bulk to his frame

- Improve on utilizing his large frame for puck protection

I think that's a much better comparison considering Jensen is 6'2.25" 202lbs & Franzen is 6'3" 222lbs. Naslund, meanwhile, could absolutely fly out there and was only 6'0" 190lbs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrfAvvq53ls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XoN2BHbcG8

Edited by Millerdraft, 25 June 2011 - 10:50 PM.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#80 whysoserious

whysoserious

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 01:12 AM

Here is something I noticed about Gillis' drafting. When they drafted Hodgson, the knock on him was his skating. So, next year they went out and drafted Schroeder, who is a tremendous skater, but the knock on him was his size. This year we go out draft Jensen, who has both size and speed. What I like is, MG is really addressing our needs when it comes to prospects. Good scouting does pay off.
Posted Image

#81 Supa_Fly

Supa_Fly

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

Watching his goals he really reminds me of Naslund, they way peels off the boards and just rips a perfect wrist shot and the way he likes to score off the rush. I can only hope

#82 b3.

b3.

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Assistant to Regional Manager
  • 26,483 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:03 AM

They one and only Dane selected this year. So he will definitely be the number one guy for Denmark this World Juniors. I don't expect him to put up to many points during the tournament, doesn't look like he will have much help.
Posted Image

#83 canucklehead44

canucklehead44

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,135 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 11:56 AM

Although some reports say he is a boom or bust, I think he has the physical attributes to at least make it as a third line player (speed, size, strength, decent defensive awareness). Schroeder on the other hand can really only play in a top 6 role due to his size, so he needs to put up big offensive numbers.

Jensen has a huge ceiling but a lot of potential to at least play in the nhl in a bottom 6 role as well. Great pick Gillis.
Sig too big.

#84 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 18,996 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 10:48 PM

Although some reports say he is a boom or bust, I think he has the physical attributes to at least make it as a third line player (speed, size, strength, decent defensive awareness). Schroeder on the other hand can really only play in a top 6 role due to his size, so he needs to put up big offensive numbers.

Jensen has a huge ceiling but a lot of potential to at least play in the nhl in a bottom 6 role as well. Great pick Gillis.

The problem with thinking he'd be successful in the bottom six is he may not apply his size in more of a gritty way. He'll definitely use his size in an offensive role, out-muscling defensemen while driving to the net and protecting the puck with his body. We know that from the scouting reports so far. Will he translate that into a hard body-checker or even someone willing to challenge defensively along the boards by playing physical there?

He's definitely not going to become a fighter, and I'm sure we might rather develop someone like Grenier or Archibald for that role, or even Sweatt as a less physical but speedy version of a 3rd liner. He'll more likely succeed as a top 6 or be marginal there unless on a lesser team.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#85 bAsRa17

bAsRa17

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,940 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:48 PM

First off I would like to say WOW, this guys got hands. What a remarkable scorer and playmaker he is. Some of the goals in those highlights are just things of beauty. I think MG really grabbed himself a gem here. This guy is commited to playing too. This guys got size 6'3 and 190LBS thats very good size, but since he's only 18 he's still going to grow. By the time he's ready to step into the nhl he'll be around 6'4 and 210LBS. Wouldn't that be great to have a big body like him that can create traffic and also possess a wicked shot.I would like too see this guy play with Darren Archiblad and Steven Anthony in the minors for a year or two. That line would torch other lines. If the line pans out we can see it on the our roster 2-3 years down the road. Imagine that line it will posses everything.

#86 GZA

GZA

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 10:21 PM

Anthony at this point is a long shot to crack NHL roster. For him to make a team he has to model his game into ryan johnson type game. Good two-way guy, win faceoffs and hit. Archibald on the other hand could turn into another oreskovich or decent 2nd line player with 20-25 goal ceiling.

Jensen is guy like people mentioned could turn into another taylor pyatt or hopefully poor man's hossa and possibly hit 40 goal mark once in his career(I'm hoping for the latter). He is big but doesn't look like he can play that gritty grinder game needed out of a 3rd/4th line guy. Jensen either makes top 6 on an nhl team or plays in europe.

#87 Millerdraft

Millerdraft

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,441 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 12:34 PM

First off I would like to say WOW, this guys got hands. What a remarkable scorer and playmaker he is. Some of the goals in those highlights are just things of beauty. I think MG really grabbed himself a gem here. This guy is commited to playing too. This guys got size 6'3 and 190LBS thats very good size, but since he's only 18 he's still going to grow. By the time he's ready to step into the nhl he'll be around 6'4 and 210LBS. Wouldn't that be great to have a big body like him that can create traffic and also possess a wicked shot.I would like too see this guy play with Darren Archiblad and Steven Anthony in the minors for a year or two. That line would torch other lines. If the line pans out we can see it on the our roster 2-3 years down the road. Imagine that line it will posses everything.

He is technically 6'2.25" 202lbs, at least he was three weeks ago, and if that's the case 6'4" 220lbs is not unattainable.

Kassian.... Taylor Pyatt 3.0

Lies. He's more of a Steve Bernier. Hopefully his talent level goes up so he can become like a Taylor Pyatt.

#88 VancouverStyle

VancouverStyle

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:29 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9VOKOos-us
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTFtsAvhPkc

He's got some sweet hands and size. Hope to see more of him in
the near future. He has some pretty insane moves in these vids...

#89 CanuckRow

CanuckRow

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,907 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:32 PM

#Canucks 1st round pick Nicklas Jensen has the potential to be a home run. Three most common comparisons - Eriksson, Carter, and R. Nash.

Jeff Angus, writer for dobberhockey.
Posted Image

#90 By-Tor

By-Tor

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 29 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Watching those videos, I am definitely excited about this guy.. He could look brilliant with the Sedins or Kesler in a couple of years

Posted Image

1% of Vancouver fans make up 99% of Luongo's support.

I am part of the 1%.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.