Posted Image

#1532 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 01:09 AM

Doubt you'd say that if he was a Canuck prospect.

I think Jenner has pretty good potential to be a good 2nd line center and a safe bet to be an NHL 3rd line center.

Curious as to how you project Gaunce, who is a poor man's Jenner. 4th liner with 3rd line potential?

IMO Gaunce is a 3rd liner with 2nd line potential - less than Jenner though.

Well, there's what I'd like to see and what I think I'll see. I've always been pretty realistic about our prospects and would put Gaunce as a 3rd line center who could play 2nd line easily if his offence is consistent/effective enough. Jenner's similar, but doesn't have the leadership qualities. It'll take him more than one significant year (well, half a year so far) of offensive output to change my mind when he's made some bad decisions on a big stage like the WJC.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#1533 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 03:35 PM

Well, there's what I'd like to see and what I think I'll see. I've always been pretty realistic about our prospects and would put Gaunce as a 3rd line center who could play 2nd line easily if his offence is consistent/effective enough. Jenner's similar, but doesn't have the leadership qualities. It'll take him more than one significant year (well, half a year so far) of offensive output to change my mind when he's made some bad decisions on a big stage like the WJC.

How do you figure Jenner is a less of a leader than Gaunce? Jenner had the "C" on a far more competent team at the same age as Jenner. Belleville didn't exactly have too many options when they chose Gaunce, although I think he is captain material even if they did. I'm just saying that Jenner is just as much a leader as Gaunce.

And Jenner's still a better prospect who's more likely to be a 2nd line center than Gaunce - at least he has a half a year of significant offensive output while Gaunce has regressed this year in terms of tangible offensive production.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1534 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:27 PM

Jensen update:

He went pointless tonight for AIK in a 2-0 loss to MODO Hockey. He finished the game with an even rating, 2 shots and 13:47 of ice time. Unfortunately, looks like his ice time is steadily going down every game. Can anyone who watches AIK comment on this?

#1535 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 06:34 PM

How do you figure Jenner is a less of a leader than Gaunce? Jenner had the "C" on a far more competent team at the same age as Jenner. Belleville didn't exactly have too many options when they chose Gaunce, although I think he is captain material even if they did. I'm just saying that Jenner is just as much a leader as Gaunce.

And Jenner's still a better prospect who's more likely to be a 2nd line center than Gaunce - at least he has a half a year of significant offensive output while Gaunce has regressed this year in terms of tangible offensive production.

Perhaps I overstated what I meant in regards to the leadership qualities. I do think Gaunce's attitude better reflects a leader, and Jenner's suspension(s) at the WJC don't show me he's thinking of the team and looking to play a controlled game like a captain should.

Gaunce's offensive production not improving similarly to Jenner's this year is a little disappointing, as I would have liked to see him develop a lot more rather than just play a role. I certainly wasn't expecting Jenner to come in and be lighting up the WJC's either, but he was almost unnoticeable in the two warm up games a few days ago.

He's a good player, and one I was hoping we'd look at taking in the draft that year, but he's got some growing still to do himself. It's just my opinion among a sea of others, but I think he's not going to turn into a solid top 6 guy in the NHL, which some people are thinking with his increased offence this year, but he still has a lot of the tools to be a very good 3rd line center.

Jensen update:

He went pointless tonight for AIK in a 2-0 loss to MODO Hockey. He finished the game with an even rating, 2 shots and 13:47 of ice time. Unfortunately, looks like his ice time is steadily going down every game. Can anyone who watches AIK comment on this?

I don't know that his ice time was ever significantly more than that. Without looking back through the thread I'd say he probably had a high of 16+ minutes, which is a bit more but not like 18-20 minutes or anything. It might be just the result of less powerplays or something similar, what's the scoresheet look like in that regard?

Edited by elvis15, 26 December 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#1536 Dasein

Dasein

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 26 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

^^^ Ah okay fair enough.

I think that there's different ways of being a captain and a leader - some play the composed style that Gaunce plays and some play the brash style that Jenner plays.

I think as Canuck fans, given our recent lineage of captains who are composed and lead by example like Linden, Naslund and Henrik, we are more fond of the Gaunce-type players. I prefer Gaunce's style of leadership over Jenner's too.

I think Jenner's abrasive style is more akin to that of the brass-knuckle, crash-and-bang leadership that look to intimidate into other teams like Messier and Brown (more Brown than Messier). As Canucks fans, I think Jenner's style of leadership bring forth bad taste.

Both leaderships show success in the NHL. Some teams prefer the Jenner-type while others don't. I think the Canucks would desire Gaunce while teams like Boston would desire Jenner.

What makes Gaunce appealing is that he is capable of standing up for himself physically like Linden and unlike Henrik or Naslund. However, Gaunce nor Linden are able to stand up for themselves by hurting the opposing team on the power play or by scoring like Henrik and Naslund can. He'd make an excellent 2nd line center if he finds his offensive game. Hopefully we can have a Henrik-esque 1st line center by then as well.

Athletes today are scared to make Muhammad Ali Statements.

#1537 SEAN HARNETT

SEAN HARNETT

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 02:46 AM

^^^ Ah okay fair enough.

I think that there's different ways of being a captain and a leader - some play the composed style that Gaunce plays and some play the brash style that Jenner plays.

I think as Canuck fans, given our recent lineage of captains who are composed and lead by example like Linden, Naslund and Henrik, we are more fond of the Gaunce-type players. I prefer Gaunce's style of leadership over Jenner's too.

I think Jenner's abrasive style is more akin to that of the brass-knuckle, crash-and-bang leadership that look to intimidate into other teams like Messier and Brown (more Brown than Messier). As Canucks fans, I think Jenner's style of leadership bring forth bad taste.

Both leaderships show success in the NHL. Some teams prefer the Jenner-type while others don't. I think the Canucks would desire Gaunce while teams like Boston would desire Jenner.

What makes Gaunce appealing is that he is capable of standing up for himself physically like Linden and unlike Henrik or Naslund. However, Gaunce nor Linden are able to stand up for themselves by hurting the opposing team on the power play or by scoring like Henrik and Naslund can. He'd make an excellent 2nd line center if he finds his offensive game. Hopefully we can have a Henrik-esque 1st line center by then as well.

I agree with this. I think if the Canucks can some how move up in the next draft and draft a first line center type player, then the prospect cupboard doesn't seem so bleak. Guance will be a very good complimentary type player. I like what I see out of him and has amazed me in some the most recent highlights I've seen from this season. Great pick by the Canucks!
:towel:

#1538 nowhereman

nowhereman

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

I agree with this. I think if the Canucks can some how move up in the next draft and draft a first line center type player, then the prospect cupboard doesn't seem so bleak. Guance will be a very good complimentary type player. I like what I see out of him and has amazed me in some the most recent highlights I've seen from this season. Great pick by the Canucks!

I'd love to see the Canucks move up in the 5th or 6th spot and draft Sean Monahan. He's the kind of player I'd like to see Vancouver mold their team around.

Not sure what it would take to get there, though.
Posted Image

#1539 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 21,686 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 09:58 PM

Yup, I'm more a fan of the Linden/Smyl approach to leadership, but I'd rather a step up to get the Sakic/Yzerman approach if I can get it. I wasn't a huge fan of Naslund's brand of leadership, and Henrik is a similar mold but I like him a bit better personally. Jenner has familiarity with Jensen at least, but I'm not sold on him being a match in the future with our other top 6 prospects - at least enough so that I'd want to trade for him considering what CBJ would want back at this point.

Jensen's a tough one to size up right now, playing well enough on a bad team in the SEL. Will that translate into a formidable top 6 guy as he develops or will he be a 40-50 point guy with good linemates? For the prospects we do have, I'd rather develop them than keep trying to trade up without a clear improvement.

#1540 G-52

G-52

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 10:50 PM

Jensen update:

In the game previous to this one his icetime was about 40 seconds more than the game before that. With the addition of huselius to AIK's lineup he will not see QUITE as many minutes as some will be lost on the PP. But as far as I know he is on the 2nd line, and getting average 2nd line minutes most of the time. I didnt watch the game but its entirely possible AIK spent lots of time short handed which would affect jensens ice time for that lone game.

Posted Image

#1541 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:36 AM

There's a link on first row sports for Jensen's AIK game today.

It's on a 10:00AM for anyone that's interested.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

#1542 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:45 AM

I'd package Luongo to Columbus to move up.

To CBJ

Luongo
Raymond
Rodin
Cannauton

To VAN
Mason
Dorsett
Jenner
2013 CBJ first

#1543 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:47 AM

That gives us sick organization depth at center

Monohan
Jenner
Gaunce
Schroeder

Wawaweeeeewa

#1544 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,254 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

plus kesler and lappy really aren't that old. insert jensen and kassian on the wings... not too shabby

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#1545 Canuck Surfer

Canuck Surfer

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 7,311 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 11:53 AM

True this!

I reckon the biggest problem with the Canucks since the San Jose series; the ongoing injuries to Kesler! Make no mistake, he is our most physically capable forward. And there are few if any better 207 lb athletes in the league when he is healthy.

If Kassian and Jensen (who will still put on weight) crack the big time, then we have three 210 to 220 lb wingers (Booth, Jensen, Kassian) + Kesler and Burrows to rotate in with the Twins. And Jensen appears capable of being the highest scoring winger. If he can play his off wing (which many report as no problem on CDC) and is willing to do some of the Burrows style dirty jobs;

Danny/Hank/Jensen
Booth/Kess/Burrows

Kass can rotate in anytime some "truculence" is required. If we keep Burr with the Twins, and Kess/Booth continue taking top D match ups (actually more likely for 2013);

Danny/Hank/Burr
Booth/Kess/Kass

Then Jensen rotates in for offense... But WOW; Booth and Kass form twin 218 lb speedsters matched with even faster 207 lb Kesler would be an astoundingly physical line. Take that Kopitar!

Related sideline; anybody want to bet we do not re-sign Higgins next year?

plus kesler and lappy really aren't that old. insert jensen and kassian on the wings... not too shabby

Edited by Canuck Surfer, 28 December 2012 - 11:55 AM.

#1546 Gooseberries

Gooseberries

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,254 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

True this!

I reckon the biggest problem with the Canucks since the San Jose series; the ongoing injuries to Kesler! Make no mistake, he is our most physically capable forward. And there are few if any better 207 lb athletes in the league when he is healthy.

If Kassian and Jensen (who will still put on weight) crack the big time, then we have three 210 to 220 lb wingers (Booth, Jensen, Kassian) + Kesler and Burrows to rotate in with the Twins. And Jensen appears capable of being the highest scoring winger. If he can play his off wing (which many report as no problem on CDC) and is willing to do some of the Burrows style dirty jobs;

Danny/Hank/Jensen
Booth/Kess/Burrows

Kass can rotate in anytime some "truculence" is required. If we keep Burr with the Twins, and Kess/Booth continue taking top D match ups (actually more likely for 2013);

Danny/Hank/Burr
Booth/Kess/Kass

Then Jensen rotates in for offense... But WOW; Booth and Kass form twin 218 lb speedsters matched with even faster 207 lb Kesler would be an astoundingly physical line. Take that Kopitar!

Related sideline; anybody want to bet we do not re-sign Higgins next year?

I can see us making an offer to higgins. he will sign with a bottom feeder team willingto pay 3.5 plus. you heard it here first folks.

20u7nh3.jpg

Credit to Vintage Canuck

The Sig lord

#1547 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 02:24 PM

To CBJ
Luongo
Raymond
Rodin
2013 2nd

To Van
Jenner
CBJ 1st 2013
Dorsett
Mason

in 2 years

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Jensen Kesler Booth
Higgins Jenner Kassian
Dorsett Lappiere Hansen

Monahan
Gaunce
Schroeder

Bieksa Hamhuis
Edler Garrison
Cannauton Tanev

Corrado

Schneider
Mason

#1548 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 04:58 PM

Jensen again went pointless for AIK in a 1-0 win over Timra IK. He finished the game with one shot on net and 15:16 of ice time.

I was out all day today so I didn't get to watch the game online. Can anyone who did comment on Jensen's performance today?

#1549 thad

thad

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,229 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

Lp

#1550 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

After a short break, Jensen and AIK were back in action today against Skelleftea AIK. Unfortunately, AIK lost the game 4-1. Jensen had no points, 1 shot on goal, an even rating and 16:25 of ice time. He was also credited with one hit in the game.

#1551 NuxFan09

NuxFan09

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,179 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Jensen was again held scoreless in a 3-1 AIK loss to Linkopings HC today. He finished the game with 4 shots on net, a -2 rating and 16:19 of ice time.

#1552 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

Damn, I wish he had some decent line mates...

Edited by Gumballthechewy, 05 January 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#1553 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Cold streak burrrrrr

#1554 Ossi Vaananen

Ossi Vaananen

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

I think Jensen will have more of a Vanek-esque career, that being red hot scoring streaks followed by lengthy periods without so much as a point. It was an issue last season for Jensen, I hope he can find some consistency.

2d7ye0p.jpg

Credit to -Vintage Canuck-

#1555 Gumballthechewy

Gumballthechewy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,905 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

I think Jensen will have more of a Vanek-esque career, that being red hot scoring streaks followed by lengthy periods without so much as a point. It was an issue last season for Jensen, I hope he can find some consistency.

The Sedins could help him out with that and vice versa.

Don't take anything I say seriously! EVER!

#1556 Lui's Knob

Lui's Knob

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,998 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Wonder if the team will ask he come up camp if Kassian and Kesler are injured...

#1557 playboi19

playboi19

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 20,655 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

Wonder if the team will ask he come up camp if Kassian and Kesler are injured...

He can't replace Kesler and no need to bring in Jensen if Kassian is only out temporarily.

Edited by playboi19, 05 January 2013 - 04:11 PM.

#1558 Jägermeister

Jägermeister

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,077 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

I would be more than okay with that.
Posted Image

#1559 eretz canucks

eretz canucks

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 821 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:07 PM

he has cold streaks now because:
1. he is a rookie in the SEL
2.His team sucks and they depend on him to do most of the woek offensively, poor cast of complimentary players.

#1560 DeNiro

DeNiro

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 23,014 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

If it was the NHL, he would have actually been credited with an assist last game.

He had the second assist on their lone goal. and the announcer even credited him with it. But he never got credit on the stat sheet.

Either way, it's pretty hard for him to get points when his team is only scoring one goal a game.

Posted Image

"Dream until the dream come true"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.