The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Alexandre Grenier | RW

b3.

When did he get traded to Halifax? I must have missed that.

So he's definitely not playing on the Wolves then I guess.

Edit: A player has to be 20 years old before the season starts to be eligible to play in the AHL I think. So I guess the fact that the QMJHL season has already started before his birthday in September, means it's a no go.

they have to be 20 by dec 31st of that season's year (not by the beginning of the season) if he was drafted from the CHL. Grenier could have played in the AHL this season, but that obviously wasn't in the cards.

Alex ain't letting up in preseason play:

Sep 02, 2011 Moose win 5-3 over Wildcats

-www.halifaxmooseheads.ca

The Halifax Mooseheads kept their strong pre-season play going with a 5-3 win Friday night in Moncton over the Wildcats. The win is the Mooseheads 5th in the pre-season in as many games. They'll look to go unbeaten in the pre-season tomorrow with a victory over the Wildcats at the Halifax Forum.

In Moncton, Alex Grenier and Marty Frk led the way with 2 goals a piece. Cameron Critchlow added a single. Luca Ciampini, Matt Boudreau and Brent Andrews all added 2 assists. Rookie Zach Fucale picked up the win with 15 saves. The Herd outshot the Cats 34-18, including 28-8 over the final 2 periods.

2010-11 Team: Saint-Jérôme Panthers QJAAAHL/Québec Remparts QMJHL

Born: Laval, QC. September 5, 1991.

NHL Draft Eligibility: 2009

Position: Right Wing

Height: 6.5

Weight: 201

Shoots: Right

2010-11 Statistics (Québec Remparts, QMJHL):

31 GP, 9 G, 15 A, 28 PTS

(Saint-Jérôme Panthers, QJAAAHL):

33 GP, 25 G, 35 A, 60 PTS

2009-10 Statistics (Saint-Jérôme Panthers QJAAAHL):

51 GP, 26 G, 28 A, 54 PTS

Somehow 9 goals and 15 assists does not add up to 28 points

2011 preseason:

GP	G	A	PTS	+/-	PIM	PPG	SHG	Pt/G	PIMPG	S	DS	WFO/FO

4	4	1	5	+1	4	3	0	1.25	1.00	12	10	0/1

Those numbers look solid. Hope he is bulking up, using his size to his advantage and taking a leadership role.

But the real question: Is Grenier on MacKinnon's line is what I really want to know...

Hope he is bulking up, using his size to his advantage and taking a leadership role.

But the real question: Is Grenier on MacKinnon's line is what I really want to know...

Alex was wearing an 'A' last game.

Alex and Nathan are both right wingers.

I was under the impression that Nathan is a center, hence the Crosby comparisons.

And playing on the PP together does not mean playing 5 on 5 together.

Thanks for your info on the PP goal though.

I was under the impression that Nathan is a center, hence the Crosby comparisons.

And playing on the PP together does not mean playing 5 on 5 together.

Thanks for your info on the PP goal though.

he's listed as a RW on the scoresheet, and he was in the starting lineup tonight, along with Gabriel Desjardins and Brent Andrews, both of whom are listed as LW, so who knows. all i know is that it doesn't look like he's playing 5 on 5 with MacKinnon. http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/schedule/show/game/60870

though it could just be the preseason shuffle, as their first game he was in the starting lineup with Matthew Boudreau and Luca Ciampini. http://en.lhjmq.qc.ca/schedule/show/game/60836

in fact looking back at the scoresheets it seems to be a random assortment of players in the starting lineup, so i wouldn't read anything into that right now. once the regular season hits we'll see how it goes.

MacKinnon is without a doubt a center. If you see a statsheet/site/person saying otherwise, its lying.

MacKinnon played with Grenier in the first game at ES (despite what the statsheet said), but has not since. Frk (RW) plays with MacKinnon most of the time. Grenier (RW) plays on the 2nd line. Andrews is a center, usually centering the 2nd line with Grenier.

For PP, it is Frk-MacKinnon-Grenier and on the point, Abeltshauser-Ashley.

* Halifax right winger Nathan MacKinnon, the first overall pick in the 2011 QMJHL draft, was held off the scoresheet last night. The 16-year-old has two points, both assists, in three contests.

"I think I'm doing fine," he said. "I'm still adjusting to the speed. The guys are bigger, stronger and faster in this league. It's going to take some time for me to get used to playing at this level."

MacKinnon is from Cole Harbour, N.S., the same as Sidney Crosby, and they both played U.S. prep school hockey at Shattuck St. Mary's. MacKinnon is playing in his hometown with some already comparing him to Crosby. Then there's the natural hype of being the first overall pick in the QMJHL draft.

"My family and the coaches have helped me deal with that," said MacKinnon when asked if he's feeling any pressure. "I think I've done a pretty good job of dealing with that so far. I'm not really focused on the expectations people have for me. That will just hurt my game.

"I'm nowhere near as good as Sidney Crosby. It's not even close. He's a one-of-a-kind player and I'm still working to get to the next level. I'm just trying to focus on my own game and not any comparisons that people might make."

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/sports/article/1437117

Around the QMJHL

Baie-Comeau traded their first pick overall

Serge Poulin

Aug 17, 2011 - 8:16:09 AM

Email this article

Printer friendly page

digg.gif

QUEBEC CITY, P.Q. — After being the first pick overall by the Baie-Comeau Drakkar, right winger Nathan MacKinnon became the premiere subject of discussion in town, whether he will or won’t report to the QMJHL team.

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/publish/futures/Around_the_QMJHL.shtml

“When he’s busting down the wing, you don’t have to be a hockey fan to know something special’s going on, that he’s a little better than anyone else,” said Troy Ryan, MacKinnon’s assistant coach at the Canada Winter Games.

http://www.metronews.ca/halifax/sports/article/915934--mackinnon-will-be-a-fan-favourite-canada-games-coach

Playing wing and center here in this video:

http://sportswithhenry.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/mackinnon-leads-team-red-to-4-1-win/

Frk (RW) plays with MacKinnon most of the time. Grenier (RW) plays on the 2nd line.

MacKinnon (goal, assist), Ashley (one assist) and Ciampini (goal, two assists) showed great chemistry on the team’s top offensive line and Grenier had yet another goal in what has been a productive pre-season.

The team is still carrying four overagers but Grenier will be at the Vancouver Canucks’ training camp for Halifax’s first two games......

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1261629.html

MacKinnon (goal, assist), Ashley (one assist) and Ciampini (goal, two assists) showed great chemistry on the team’s top offensive line and Grenier had yet another goal in what has been a productive pre-season.

The team is still carrying four overagers but Grenier will be at the Vancouver Canucks’ training camp for Halifax’s first two games......

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Sports/1261629.html

If you actually followed the games, Frk took a bad hit in the previous game and sat this most recent game out, so Ashley moved in. Do you understand? You can link all the useless articles you want, but it doesn't change the facts. MacKinnon is undoubtedly a centerman for the Mooseheads and has played every single pre-season game in that position.

Just reading the local papers and the team website.

I guess you are the only one that really knows.

As I said, those sites and the reporters that use the Q site are flat out wrong, especially when people/scouts have two eyes to see that he plays center. Not intending to be rude, but you cherry picked quotes that say he was flying up the wing (same could be said about Kesler at times) and a video that is a shootout goal claiming it to show he plays wing and center. And using both to prove your point plus you read it in the local paper?

The Q site is notoriously incorrect for positions and players (It had steven anthony playing last week when he wasn't even there!); but still reporters use it as a quick reference. You quoted metro news, possibly the best blog source for Moosehead news and didn't even glance at the lineups Matt Wuest posts before every game?

Nathan MacKinnon shook off the summer rust at the Atlantic under-17 selection camp last month and apparently looked good doing it.

The 15-year-old centre was one of 44 players on the ice in Wolfville as the coaching staff got their first look at players who could be part of the squad’s 22-player roster at the world under-17 challenge in Windsor, Ont., in December.link

Line up for the last game with Frk being scratched.

FORWARDS

Luca Ciampini-Nathan MacKinnon-Darcy Ashley

Gabriel Desjardins-Brent Andrews-Alexandre Grenier

Cameron Critchlow-Matthew Boudreau-Travis Randell

Brad Cuzner-Alexandre Cote-Ryan Falkenham

FORWARDS

Luca Ciampini/Nathan MacKinnon/Martin Frk

Cameron Critchlow/Alexandre Cote/Darcy Ashley

Gabriel Desjardins/Brent Andrews/Luke Warner

Andrew Ryan/Brandon Pye/Brad Cuzner

FORWARDS

Joel Blanchard/Nathan MacKinnon/Martin Frk

Luca Ciampini/Matthew Boudreau/Alexandre Grenier

Travis Randell/Brent Andrews/Ryan Falkenham

Luke Warner/Brandon Pye/Ryan Davis

TSN:

MacKinnon is a 5'11 centre, weighing 170 lbs with room to grow. Brian Urquhart, the Mooseheads' vice-president of business operations, says the arrival of MacKinnon has already resulted in increased season ticket sales.

If the Q site were actually accurate, this wouldn't even be a discussion.

MacKinnon is listed as a center everywhere he has played-except in the Halifax Mooseheads website and coverage in the local paper.

I have read everything I can on him.

The local paper and team cover him and I do not.

I have no doubt with his touted talent level and very young age it was and is conceiveable that the team could have put him on the wing in the preseason in the odd game.

The local paper and team web site seem to be the last sources to screw up a phenom that the team gave away the farm for.

If so, that is all good with me as it matters not one iota to me where he plays or if he plays at all.

I wish Nathan,Alex and Sawyer well and look forward to your posts covering the team this year.

Archived