The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Alain Vigneault doesn’t stand a chance in 2011/12

Slegr

Definitely an interesting topic to discuss. AV makes mistakes, but he is only human after all. I think it would be a mistake to fire AV, not only because I think he is a good coach, but also because finding someone that has more experience and reputation would be next to impossible. On the other hand fresh opinions on players and styles of play would be fantastic. We were so close to the cup, I think MG should spend a bit more money and get us more opinions in the war room.

It's great that MG doesn't overreact obviously. But we definitely have a few things we can improve on (Players and management positions alike), which I'm sure MG is working on. I expect great things from GM of the year this upcoming season.

:picard: ... really?

then how bout we also get rid of the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo!!! o and then fire Gillis and hire you as the GM!!!

who in their right mind would ever fire a coach that coached a team to a president's trophy, and an appearance in a stanley cup final game 7? how is it EVER AV's fault that we lost? our top 2 d-men and 3 forwards on our top 2 lines were so hurt that they not only count practice, but Ehrhoff and Edler were taking pain killers before every game.

how the @$@#! could you expect a team to be coached to a cup win when your top 5 - 6 players are so injured??

posts like these really piss me off!!

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn’t expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club’s first ever President’s Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring’s post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

• Teams will be paying special attention to the Canucks, given the team’s regular and post-season track records last year

By about the 20-game mark, in this hockey-crazed market, if the Canucks aren’t within the top eight seeds in their conference, Alain Vigneault will become extremely expendable by fans, media, and management.

While he has broken countless coaching records in his tenure with the club since his debut in 2006/07, Alain has also had his moments of controversy, that, when compiled over six years, gives more incentive to bring fresh perspectives behind the bench.

Reasons Alain’s departure will appeal to fans, media and management:

Rocky relationships: While Alain’s personality has blended in a complimentary fashion with several Canucks, he has also created tension among a select few who would benefit under a new head coach. In particular, Keith Ballard, who has the potential to be a cornerstone of the Canucks’ defence, has yet to have the confidence instilled in him by his head coach. Cody Hodgson is another potential franchise player who has been used so sparingly when called up that he no doubt questions the coach’s confidence in his abilities.

New approaches: We’ve seen several Canucks blossom into stars during Vigneault’s term, in large part to how he has afforded them opportunities to grow. But some may say he has also stifled key players in the particular roles he lays out for them. For instance, if the referees call a one-sided game against the Canucks, the Sedins ride the pine for too long. A new coach would mean a new approach using existing players.

Addressing overprized favourites: Aaron Rome. Do I really need to say more on that?

The Linden factor: While he would never admit it, Trevor Linden is not interested in having a role with the Canucks organization while Alain Vigneault is associated with the club. Trevor will speak highly of Alain when asked about his coaching abilities, but resentment persists in Trevor towards a coach who refused to play him for any length of time, despite his proven worth and continued ability to play a strong role on the team. Below the surface of his class and dignity, his dissatisfaction with the coach ultimately led him to retire two seasons before he wanted to – and he only announced his retirement once he was sure Alain wasn’t being fired, in June, 2008, well after the Canucks finished their season, a season that saw Trevor as a healthy scratch for 24 games. If Alain is terminated, it opens up new windows of opportunity in having Trevor Linden a member of the organization, in some capacity.

My prediction: look for Alain Vigneault’s departure by the last week of November. Not that I didn’t think he did a great job in many aspects, but I have a feeling his end with the Canucks is much closer than most think.

Thoughts?

I totally agree with the post. I think AV has to go if the Canucks are ever going to have a chance to win the cup.

Last year was the team's best shot ever. The Canucks were clearly the best team in the league. President's trophy winners. The Sedins and Kesler in their prime. Deep at every position. A dozen points better than the closest team in the standings. And once again AV got out-coached in the playoffs, this time, by Julien. The last two years by Quenneville.

AV made so many tragic mistakes in the final series. Letting Luongo and Kesler dictate when they were playing were two of them. In the games when Luongo was getting bombed, AV could have given the team a chance by bringing Schneider in earlier in those games, or trying starting him in Boston to shake up the team. If AV had held Kesler out of the first game of the series, it would have given the center almost an week extra rest (with the crazy schedule) and a chance to heal his groin, and be effective for the rest of the series. By not doing that, we basically lost our best weapon next to the Sedin's for the entire series. Do you think Scotty Bowman or any of the great coaches would have ever been that stupid?

When the power play wasn't working, AV failed to make adjustments to get it going. Then he let the Boston players manhandle the Canucks, with no one sticking up for the Sedins. The three games the Canucks won, they came out hitting, and carried the momentum, making Boston fight to gain the zone. The four games they lost, the team didn't hit. Period. The Bruins took the body EVERY GAME. But AV never called one time out, to demand the team play physically in the games they lost. In game 7, it was clear to anyone who had watched the series, that the team was going to lose, after the first two minutes of the game. Vancouver wasn't hitting and basically surrendered their zone from the opening faceoff. The momentum swung to the Bruins immediately. And not one peep from AV. Not one time out. Nada.

The bottom line is, AV's a decent regular season coach. That's it. He's not exceptional. Just decent. That's why Montreal fired him after a couple seasons. He's been blessed with three of the best players in the league the last few seasons, in the Sedins & Kesler, and MG has given him a wonderfully, deep supporting cast. But he's consistently out-coached in the playoffs. And this off season, many of the other teams have gotten better and deeper, while we've got worse, with the loss of Erhoff,a premiere rushing defencemen (50 points) and Torres.

I hate to say it, but with AV behind the bench, we may struggle just to make the playoffs this year, like Chicago did last year. If that does happen, it might be a blessing in disguise, if it results in MG finally letting AV go, and bringing in someone who can match strategies and smarts in the playoffs. If that happens, and we also pick up Shea Weber and Zach Parise in free agency next year (as some have suggested MG may be planning to do) we may be able to rebound and go all the way in 2013: which I'm praying for, because the Sedins aren't getting any younger, and our window to dominate or at least be a contender will begin to close within a few years.

Honestly I think Gillis is calling most of the shots anyways. i think the coach mostly follows that direction. So i don't think a coaching change is necessary because AV is or isn't a good coach. It's because he's the same coach and this team has grown to it's limits with him. I see the playoffs as a good indication of team development. Yes this team has improved it's record. But people tend to neglect to realize how lucky he has been having the benefit of very generous owners & a patient GM so willing to acquire players to custom fill positions every year.

I think coaching is an area this team can drastically improve. See the difference in the PP last season. Same players, different coach. Now imagine that difference in playoff performance.

How can you say 2), honestly. I love Trevor Linden hes my hero but just by having him in the Canucks organization would of helped is stupid. What if he is just scouting with Gradin or something. How the hell is that gonna help them play the game...

The only way he gets fired for sure is if he fails to make the playoffs. If we get bumped in the first round, then Gillis might give serious consideration to replace him. Gillis doesn't act out of emotion and always thoroughly checks for consequences unlike the most people here on CDC.

I totally agree with the post. I think AV has to go if the Canucks are ever going to have a chance to win the cup.

Last year was the team's best shot ever. The Canucks were clearly the best team in the league. President's trophy winners. The Sedins and Kesler in their prime. Deep at every position. A dozen points better than the closest team in the standings. And once again AV got out-coached in the playoffs, this time, by Julien. The last two years by Quenneville.

Coming off his most successful season as a head coach, Alain Vigneault probably isn’t expecting to be fired any time soon. But as reality sets in this fall, watch for the Canucks coach to get terminated as early as November.

Why are the odds stacked against a man who brought the Canucks to within one game of the ultimate prize, not to mention the club’s first ever President’s Trophy? He will soon become a victim of his own success:

• The Canucks traditionally have slow starts to the season. After last spring’s post season, there will be high expectations and low amounts of patience should the Canucks come out of the gates in their normal 0.500 fashion

um, no.

The fans don't fire the coach, the manager does. And why would he fire the coach who has take his team from the mess it was 5 years ago to one win away from the cup, over 20 early season games. Very elaborate thought process though. In all that thinking, I can't believe you didn't realize what a dumb idea it was.

Hmmm...

I think the problem with AV is more percieved than anything. He follows the company line and doesn't give away much of his plans to the media, which fans, including myself, kind of resent.

Mike Gillis has a lot of faith in AV, as AV did manage to coax a 50+ win, 110+ point season out of a team that started the year without Burrows and only played one game with its best defense corps intact.

As for being outcoached, I can honestly say that coaching was a problem for the Canucks in the Final, but it was far from the only problem. Penalty killing, Aaron Rome, Roberto Luongo, the Sedins, injuries, backchecking and the power play also failed to live up to expectations.

While AV does deserve some of the blame, and I understand your frustration at not winning the Cup, I think he's done a good job at making players better. He stopped Burrows and Kesler and Laperre, to an extent, from chirping.

I have faith that AV can coach this team to a Cup victory.

Curse of the Jack Adams trophey? (goes back to 06-07 I know) Same idea, a coach has great success with his team, they don't play/finish as well the next year.

I'm honestly hoping the team will come back hungrier this year, maybe they won't finish as well in the regular season, but they can get it done in the playoffs. The dreamer in me is hoping Kesler is still angry now losing the gold medal and game seven in two consecutive years, the twins are ready for the pressure after training in the offseason and Luongo can get his head on straight, last season Rollie Melanson really helped Luo's game.

Every year no matter how good we do or how far we make it in the playoffs, everyone screams for AV's head. Give it a rest people! Whether you like it or not, face the facts... Vigneault is one of the best/ if not THE best coach we've ever had. He is not going to get fired any time soon unless we go the first half of the season without any wins at all.

Haters gonna hate.

AV is a good coach. You just don't understand hockey enough to see the glaringly obvious, but painful truth in playing Rome ahead of Ballard, and sitting a highly touted junior prospect Hodgson for 4th line players.

Obviously haters never recognize the fact that he developed some key players on our team from scratch. On top of that, he's led us to the best season in Canucks history.

And the Linden thing? He was a 38 year old veteran at the time, and he wasn't the Trevor Linden of his prime - the guy retired that year for god's sake. Tons of great players were healthy scratches at times the year they retired.

Archived