The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rick Rypien Passes Away

Darcy Rota

Very sad news about Rick.

I really wish more people would do some research on mental disorders. Mental Illness is not something that can be overcome through "will power" nor related to a person's "character" or intelligence. It sounds like Rick struggled with this disease for years and in his mind, taking his own life, was the only solution to stop the pain.

I hope he is at peace, and my thoughts and prayers go to his surviving family members.

rose2.gif

I saw a comment on a Rypien Youtube video this morning and someone wrote "R.I.P. Rypien" and had 9 thumbs up.

I thought it was some cool nickname because he kills the opposition and "RIP" sounds like a short version of "rypper", so I smiled and moved on.

I come on CDC this afternoon and.... :(

Depression warps a person's thinking, it makes them irrational. Rypien was a young guy, with a lot of money, living a dream of playing in the NHL that he had worked his entire life to acheive. Do you think somebody who's mind was clear and rational would decide to give all of that up and kill themself? He had it all, he had every reason to want to live.

Depression is a real mental illness and the people who have it deserve help and compassion. They don't deserve to be judged and stigmatized. If Rypien killed himself it doesn't make him a coward. It makes him the victim of a disease that claimed his life. He's no more of a coward than if he would have died from cancer or any other disease.

That last paragraph of Dan Murhpy's article made me tear up. It is so sad to know that he did want to tell everyone what he had been dealing with in order to help others and he himself thought he was a on a good path now, it is sad to know that he had basically just talked to the Jets GM and his agent a couple days before. It's tough to think about how things changed so quickly. It'd just so tragic.

Being someone who has lived through losing a close family member recently to suicide I am not sure how to respond to your post ? I guess everyone has their opinions no matter how misguided they are. What would have been best for The Rypper would have been to still be alive and his family would not have to live through such a senseless act. Let me tell you that taking your life is never the answer. To any person thinking that this is a possible solution to ones problems I sincerely suggest maybe talking to someone about it before that thought becomes a reality in the final seconds of your life that you can never take back.

You seem to know what Rick was going through by your post , for the rest of us please please , let us in on what you think you know. I am not trying to be disrespectful or antagonistic in any way . I just would like to know if any what reasons you would have to justify suicide?

I wasnt asking if it was right or wrong to you , just to clarify . I asked you " If any what reasons you would have to justify suicide?"

Death is not an opinion it is final, and his act took away any hope of helping himself and left his family ,friends and fans all in confusion over his decision . I dont judge Rick at all am just trying to figure things out for myself .

Archived