The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why we love to hate Luongo

Ronning4center

Just going through some old posts on Luongo and was anylizing why people seem to hate him or love him depending on how the season is going. I have a theory....

Luongo is a great goalie...I think we all agree. Though he hasnt won us a cup he's still at least in the top five goalies in the league and gives us a chance to win every night...So what is it that makes us get so upset with him? I believe its his attitude and personality. Luongo is very moody...he's up and down and its very hard for us to relate to him...I beleive it makes the average fan, who cares so much about cunucks nation, very jumpy to rely on a man they can't figure out. The fact that he plays each season away from his family who want no part of vancouver makes things worse.

Kirk Mclean is one of the most revered players in canucks history...he never won us a cup and never did we want to push him out of town. He was a great guy and great personality....you really wanted him to win for him as well as for us. The loses were loses and rarely did we blame Captain Kirk the way we get down on Lu. I know I'd feel alot better with a more stable personality between the pipes.....schneider?

I knew I was going to take a hit for that last line....Let me just say I know Cory Schnieder is an unproven goalie who isnt on the same level as Luongo..more of a post to see what everyone thought.

When he first came here, he defied expectations and carried a pretty mediocre team day in, day out. Tied the 2nd highest NHL record for wins in a single season, made 70+ saves in his 1st playoff game...he was not only forced to carry us, we expected him to.

When an injury set him back and he stopped meeting the incredibly high standard he set, he caught a lot of flak. And now that the teams good, he's seen as a scapegoat. We usually win now because the team has gotten so good. But, even when he plays out of this world, he gets no credit because the team is so good. And then when we lose, it's his fault.

He raised the bar for goaltending his first season here and hasn't really met those expectations since (until last season, but nobody really cared). In addition, he makes a ton of money. He's easy to hate.

That's how I see it, anyhow.

P.S. I don't hate Lu at all, I'm saying that's why people do.

I think the main reason is because of the soft goals he lets in come playoff time. Yeah, many of the circumstances were what you could call and 'exception', due to strange bounces, injuries, etc.  

At the same time, however, he did concede those goals. What you say probably adds to this, but I don't think many on CDC will complain about Lu's personality if he played at a .920sv % in the playoffs.  

But maybe that's just me.

When he first came here, he defied expectations and carried a pretty mediocre team day in, day out. Tied the 2nd highest NHL record for wins in a single season, made 70+ saves in his 1st playoff game...he was not only forced to carry us, we expected him to.

When an injury set him back and he stopped meeting the incredibly high standard he set, he caught a lot of flak. And now that the teams good, he's seen as a scapegoat. We usually win now because the team has gotten so good. But, even when he plays out of this world, he gets no credit because the team is so good. And then when we lose, it's his fault.

He raised the bar for goaltending his first season here and hasn't really met those expectations since (until last season, but nobody really cared). In addition, he makes a ton of money. He's easy to hate.

That's how I see it, anyhow.

It's because guys like McLean, King Richard, Schneider, etc are mediocre goaltenders. We don't expect anything out of them but a mediocre game. They have a good game, and all of a sudden they're god. On the other hand, Luongo has the same kind of a game as those 3 mentioned, and it's considered a mediocre game for him - it is expected of him to play at that level.

Luongo is one of the elite goaltenders of this era. We expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup out of Roberto. That's why he's hated on - because he hasn't delivered yet for all the greatness we know he is capable of.

It's because guys like McLean, King Richard, Schneider, etc are mediocre goaltenders. We don't expect anything out of them but a mediocre game. They have a good game, and all of a sudden they're god. On the other hand, Luongo has the same kind of a game as those 3 mentioned, and it's considered a mediocre game for him - it is expected of him to play at that level.

Luongo is one of the elite goaltenders of this era. We expect nothing less than a Stanley Cup out of Roberto. That's why he's hated on - because he hasn't delivered yet for all the greatness we know he is capable of.

goalies are a different breed....terry sawchuck was one of the rarest and different personalities you could ever meet.....he had more quirks and unlikeable traits then any goalie in history.....people are too hard on roberto....let him, his personality have....i believe that his jersey will hang from the rafters one day....and he will turn the canuck's goalie graveyard into a vineyard.....

I have watched the Canucks from day one and the fans have always been hard on the Canuck Goalies. Let see the list goes like, Dunc Wilson, Gary Smith, Cesare Maniago, Curt Ridley, Richard Brodeur, Glen Hanlon, Kirk McLean, Dan Cloutier and now Roberto Luongo. These are a few of the goalies that come to mind over the past 40 years. Seems like the fans love them until they make one mistake and then are all over them like a cheap hooker. I would hate to play goal for the Canucks the way a lot of the fans act.

I have to agree with the OP about Luo's personality. I think if he was less confident/cocky, people would give him more leeway. People do have very high expectations for him, but I don't think that is the whole story. Look how few people are blaming the Sedins for the SCF loss compared to Luo. They didn't do their jobs, but since they are such humble, likable guys, most people don't want to throw them under the bus. Notice how many people bashing Luo are comparing him to Lebron? He is the same story, people don't like him because he is cocky.

Also, a lot of fans just don't understand the whole game. So while it is a team game, they blame all the goals against on the goalie. They seem to forget about the 5 other guys on the ice when the puck goes in. Or they forget that the forwards provided insufficient goal support.

I have to agree with the OP about Luo's personality. I think if he was less confident/cocky, people would give him more leeway. People do have very high expectations for him, but I don't think that is the whole story. Look how few people are blaming the Sedins for the SCF loss compared to Luo. They didn't do their jobs, but since they are such humble, likable guys, most people don't want to throw them under the bus. Notice how many people bashing Luo are comparing him to Lebron? He is the same story, people don't like him because he is cocky.

Also, a lot of fans just don't understand the whole game. So while it is a team game, they blame all the goals against on the goalie. They seem to forget about the 5 other guys on the ice when the puck goes in. Or they forget that the forwards provided insufficient goal support.

Imo luongo was an incredible goalie,Regular season and playoffs,until the Scott niedermayer goal that sent us home where luongo felt interfered with.I am a Canucks fan who would love to love Luongo,but there seems to always be a lack of confidence in the playoffs ever since that goal.In that playoffs he allowed 4 goals only twice in a single game,One being the 72 save overtime victory over dallas and the other one being against Anaheim the eventual cup winner.2 years later he allowed 7 one game and 5 in another,equalling 20% of the playoff games he was in he allowed an average of 6 goals.the year after he allowed 4 then another 4 against the la kings,followed up by 5,6,5 allowed against the blackhawks,meaning in 41.5 percent of his playoff games he let in 4 or more goals.This past season he let 4 or more goals by him in 6 of 25 games,totalling 24% of games played.we were 0-6 last year when he let 4 or more in,1-4 in 09-10,and 0-2 in 08-09.I didn't do any research into the regular season percentage compared to the playoffs,but I assume it would be better than his playoff percentage.please correct me if i am indeed wrong and his numbers were worse during the regular season.Ever since the Niedermayer goal,Lou was never the same,I personally think we need to get him a confidence coach,and I am not joking,sometimes he plays like he is the best Goalie to ever play the game,then one little mishap later and he loses almost everything that made him so special.I think luongo needs to be appreciated in his own sense,as in every save he makes he needs someone to acknowledge the great job he does.keep that man confident between the pipes and we will win 3 stanley cups with him in net.

I have watched the Canucks from day one and the fans have always been hard on the Canuck Goalies. Let see the list goes like, Dunc Wilson, Gary Smith, Cesare Maniago, Curt Ridley, Richard Brodeur, Glen Hanlon, Kirk McLean, Dan Cloutier and now Roberto Luongo. These are a few of the goalies that come to mind over the past 40 years. Seems like the fans love them until they make one mistake and then are all over them like a cheap hooker. I would hate to play goal for the Canucks the way a lot of the fans act.

<br />Just going through some old posts on Luongo and was anylizing why people seem to hate him or love him depending on how the season is going.  I have a theory....<br /><br />Luongo is a great goalie...I think we all agree.  Though he hasnt won us a cup he's still at least in the top five goalies in the league and gives us a chance to win every night...So what is it that makes us get so upset with him?  I believe its his attitude and personality.  Luongo is very moody...he's up and down and its very hard for us to relate to him...I beleive it makes the average fan, who cares so much about cunucks nation, very jumpy to rely on a man they can't figure out.  The fact that he plays each season away from his family who want no part of vancouver makes things worse.<br /><br />Kirk Mclean is one of the most revered players in canucks history...he never won us a cup and never did we want to push him out of town.  He was a great guy and great personality....you really wanted him to win for him as well as for us.  The loses were loses and rarely did we blame Captain Kirk the way we get down on Lu.  I know I'd feel alot better with a more stable personality between the pipes.....schneider? <br /><br /> I knew I was going to take a hit for that last line....Let me just say I know Cory Schnieder is an unproven goalie who isnt on the same level as Luongo..more of a post to see what everyone thought.<br />

Pretty good reasons you have there. Not only that, but they also set the bar pretty high from him. I think the fans and the Canucks just expect him to be the greatest goalie in the world (which he isn't in my opinion) and since he's had a few good seasons and games and whatnot, we just expect that every single game he has and if he has one off night, then the haters come out. With McLean, it wasnt quite the same. While he was a good goalie, everyone didnt expect him to carry the team like some people expect Luongo to. While the team is very talented now, many people expect Luongo to carry more of the weight of the team rather then some players like the Sedins, Naslund, Morisson, Burrows, Bieksa and Kesler... with McLean he still had guys like Linden, Bure, Mogilny, Adams, Lumme, Lidster, the Courtnalls and Smyl who could carry the weight with McLean. As for the attitude/personality part, all depends on the person i suppose, but a good attitude and whatnot is still important for the team. If his family doesn't want to be in Van, i guess that's their business.

Archived