The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hunger Games

stawns

Just got back from seeing it. I didn't read the books, but I liked the movie. I saw it with some friends who had read the books and they said they felt it was pretty true to the book, but it did leave out a few things.

For some reason my local theatre here in Glasgow was showing it last night (the 22nd) even though it wasn't supposed to be out til the 23rd...not that I was about to complain.

I was SO excited for the movie. I had only recently read the books (finished the trilogy in a week, we'll see out my exam marks suffer, lol) so I still had lots of details floating around in my head.

On the whole, I thought the movie could have been longer. I got the same feeling I did watching HP7 Pt. 2, they were trying to stuff as much material as they could into a shortish movie. The whole reaping sequence was very well done, in my opinion. The relationship between Katniss and Peeta could have been developed a bit more. Some things were changed unnecessarily:

-The interview with Caesar didn't have all the tributes sitting on stage, so when Peeta declared his love, the crowd didn't get to see Katniss's reaction

-The wolf muttations didn't have any human resemblance at all. I'm ok with them not having made them look like the fallen tributes, but they could have at least run on 2 legs to make it creepier...

-the cave sequence was cut very very short considering in the book it was a good..what..2 or 3 chapters? That could have helped with developing the Peeta/Katniss storyline which will be really important in the next 3 movies.

I loved the books, especially the first one. I think the ending was a bit of a let down, but I would still recommend the series.

Better than Twilight (I couldn't even get through the first book, it was so juvenile and had terrible writing), not as good as HP.

I am looking forward to the movies, and planning on watching the Hunger Games sometime next week :).

10 years ago, I watched a japanese movie called Battle Royale (2000) which is based on a 1999 novel of the same name by Koushun Takami. When the movie came out it was controversial because of the violence. The movie gained cult status and there was talk of a Hollywood remake back then. When I first saw a TV trailer for The Hunger Games movie, I immediately thought it's a rip-off the Battle Royale movie.

In 2008, The Hunger Games novel is written by Suzanne Collins. Some believe she ripped off the concept of the Battle Royale novel. I wonder if some Hollywood higher ups secretly commissioned her to write a novel similar in concept to Battle Royale so that they could make a movie similar to Battle Royale. I wonder if this is a tactic by Hollywood to skirt from being sued by the Battle Royale author.

Just google: Hunger Games vs Battle Royale

http://hollywoodinva...u-be-the-judge/

http://blogs.wsj.com...-battle-royale/

http://www.amazon.co...asin=0439023483

http://io9.com/58881...f-battle-royale

I've yet to decide if I want to see The Hunger Games movie.

There was some what of a love triangle, but I don't think the author developed it enough for it to be comparable to Twilight.

Am I the only one who is thoroughly disappointed with how the series ended? I thought the first book was awesome, second book was alright and third book seemed kind of rushed or something...

For those of you debating the qualities of Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and Twilight, I think that debate can be accurately distilled down into this: 1. Hunger Games - poor writing, good plot 2. Harry Potter - quality writing, great plot 3. Twilight - miserable writing, poor plot

Wasn't really a single sentence, there was some lead up to it, like when Peeta and Gale were discussing how she would pick the one she needed to survive.

Not much explanation though, I agree with you there. I expected Mockingjay to be longer than it was, IMO it should've been. So many characters unnecessarily died too.

Wasn't really a single sentence, there was some lead up to it, like when Peeta and Gale were discussing how she would pick the one she needed to survive.

Not much explanation though, I agree with you there. I expected Mockingjay to be longer than it was, IMO it should've been. So many characters unnecessarily died too.

I haven't read the books or know of the story...I heard its very similar to twilight (in terms of love triangle or something?) ....true or false? I don't want to look up the plot online cause of the spoilers...

The Hunger Games trilogy, particularly the first book, is entirely plot-based. The writing and editing are extremely poor, but you don't care as much once you get hooked by the plot. As soon as I finished the first one I thought "this is one of the few books that will be a better movie than a book" - it's short, plot-based and a visual representation could make the love story less forced.

For those of you debating the qualities of Harry Potter, The Hunger Games and Twilight, I think that debate can be accurately distilled down into this:

1. Hunger Games - poor writing, good plot

2. Harry Potter - quality writing, great plot

3. Twilight - miserable writing, poor plot

I just got back from seeing the movie. It was surprisingly a very good movie. I thought the acting was superb, especially everything from Jennifer Lawrence.

I didn't really like all the stuff in the cave and that berry scene. Also, the ending did seem a tad bit rushed.

Archived