The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Hunger Games

stawns

Was just gonna say that! Don't know what this is about, just like Twighlight, but it has hype for no reason. Can someone tell me what its about, and either way, not gonna watch this - can just tell its gonna be bad, just like twighlight, which I never watched too :P

If you're that obsessed for blood, I have the perfect website for you:

Register there, see all the shootings, beheadings, suicides, executions, self-immolations, electrocutions, etc. that you could only dream of, and they aren't hollywood type scenes as you would expect from a PG-13 movie. They're certainly real.

Once you've fulfilled your quota of blood to fap on, you can maybe go back to this film, watch it, and enjoy it realizing the point of it isn't to be a bloodbath but a story of survival.

I think you, like the movie, have missed the point of the purpose of the violence.

It's supposed to be there and presented in a way that makes you feel the way you should feel about teens killing other teens. Outrage, disgust, uneasiness, etc. This shouldn't be a hollywood blockbuster that you chow down popcorn and cheer for the protagonists to kill innocent people.

To dumb down and glorify the severity of the killings is to propagate that killing others is devoid of emotion or meaning in anyway and is one of the main things wrong with hollywood these days.

Erm, on the way to the Hunger Games, the apprehensiveness of children pretty adequately portrays how much they look forward to going, especially the protagonist(s).

Did you ever watch Lord of the Flies, by the way? I hope not. Evidently you're unable to put yourself in the environment of the movie shown to you. Just to note that the movie is not supposed to cater to someone's religious vision of violence, it's the person watching it that needs to put themselves into the story. If you have your own personal prejudices against blood or against children killing other children, or innocence, don't watch this, it's not for you. The movie is great, but not for people who can't put this kind of silliness aside.

Oh tell me about it! I'm a girl and a lot of people get surprised when I tell them I hate Twilight :lol:. Don't even waste your time with Twilight.

If this show wasn't PG, I would like more gore scene or more of the gladiator-movie feel--- I think it would have been a lot better. I didn't like the leading girl, her acting was so dull.

Overall... disappointing. I was expecting a lot more considering all these hype about it.

^ I didn't think it was horrible. I'd give it maybe 3.5/5. Certainly not a LOTR level book adaptation but really not that bad...

I personally never watched Twilight, nor do I want to, but from what I know about it, it's not fair to compare the two series.

Even just Katniss vs. Bella. Bella is a weak female character who lets the boys do all the fighting (I've asked my friends who've read the books, apparently this is accurate), Katniss is a strong female protagonist.

The only thing I think you can say they have in common is a love triangle. And although it's a part of the Hunger Games plot, it could have easily been left out.

PS, Just because SOME girls like Twilight doesn't mean ALL or even MOST girls do. it has to do with personality and age group.

I know you haven't read the books, so it may not have come across as well on screen, but Katniss and Peeta do NOT want to be there. To them, going to the Hunger Games means certain death. Before the games start, Katniss doesn't think she's got a hope of surviving. The only kids that actually want to be there are the Careers (Cato, Marvel, Glitter and Clove). [Edit: this part actually should have come across the night before they go in the Arena and Peeta tells Katniss he doesn't want to just be another piece in the Capitol's game]

The point of the novel was that these kids killing other kids ISN'T a good thing. And I'm not sure how religion even fits in here. And Lord of the Flies...it was a comment on how without proper authority we'd descend into savagery. I'm sure William Golding would agree that the part where they kill each other wasn't a good thing.

I will agree with you though that the amount of blood is not proportional to the quality of movie. I think they went a little easy on some of the injuries:

ie Peeta's supposed to lose a leg because the medicine's not supposed to be enough to save it.

I plan on seeing it this weekend now that the hypes a little down. Dear GOD I hope it isn't really like Twilight. I have not read the books either.

I did have a feeling it would be closely compared to Twilight tho. Please, no. :sadno:

If you're that obsessed for blood, I have the perfect website for you:

http://www.ogrishforum.com/index.php

Register there, see all the shootings, beheadings, suicides, executions, self-immolations, electrocutions, etc. that you could only dream of, and they aren't hollywood type scenes as you would expect from a PG-13 movie. They're certainly real.

Once you've fulfilled your quota of blood to fap on, you can maybe go back to this film, watch it, and enjoy it realizing the point of it isn't to be a bloodbath but a story of survival.

I love how Fox News spent an hour convincing their audience that this movie was about "lying" and not about the rich vs poor.

This movie works becuase it is a perfect euphemism of what is going on in today's society. We all work for the rich, and they continue to manipulate us.

It is just a typical movie that appeals to the masses, kind of like World of Warcraft in video games.

There is really nothing special about the movie, typical hollywood story and ending. If you think it isn't, then you're just a sheep.

For what it is, I'd probalby give it 8/10 but overall it is like a 4/10 compared to other great movies.

I just came back from seeing it! Honestly, I thought it was amazing. Loved every minute of it. First of all, I just glanced through all the comments and someone said they didn't like Jeniffer Lawrence's acting in the movie. Are you crrrrrrraaaazy? I thought she was phenomenal! She is definitely going to be a huge star, and not just because of The Hunger Games. I mean, she already has an Oscar nomination under her belt, and she's only 21(Has anyone here seen Winters Bone? Its soo good, I recommend it to everyone!) Second of all, I'm also hearing the Hunger Games vs Twi-lame debate too. I don't understand that in any way, since the storylines are not similar...except for the love triangle. But does that mean that every movie that has a love triangle gets compared to Tw-lame? Also, the actors can actually act in THG unlike Twi-lame. So it pretty much wins right there. I haven't read the books, but after seeing the movie I am very intrigued as to what happens next, so I'm going to give the second and third one a read. I'm pretty excited!

ps. I'm just sayin' but I got a girl crush on JLaw, she's pretty awesome...

Archived