The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Cody Hodgson to Buffalo

Guest AriGold

I'm ok with the Hodgson trade. As already mentioned, he was never going to take Kesler or Hank off the centre ice position on the top 2 lines. So really it was either get rid of Kesler or Cody. The team obviously chose Cody. Hodgson I doubt would have a great playoffs for the role of a 3rd line centre. The play last week against Detriot where he was completely out muscled by Abelkater (sp?) leading to a goal opened my eyes that he might not be the best decision for that 3rd line role. Obviously MG and the team agreed.

Kassian at the least will be a Torres addition that could turn into a Lucic addition in the future. We miss that Torres presence on the ice and I think that is more needed than whatever little offence Hodgson would have been able to muster in playoff hockey on the third line playing with Hansen and at best Higgins. To be honest in a physical series I saw the Canucks putting Hodgson back on the fourth line like he has been numerous times this year.

Hodgson is a great prospect and I wish him well in Buffalo, but sadly he had to go. There is a reason you pick the best available player at the draft. His value is at an all time high and sometimes its best to sell high. We got a fair return on a even trade.

We all know Hodgson will be a top 6 forward in this league, Kassian will either be a 4th liner (Torres) or a top line player (Lucic), only time will tell; that all depends on how well he can score.

The Canucks are better now than they were yesterday, but if Kassian doesn't develop well, we would of been better in the future. Hopefully we don't have to regret this trade.

Let's face it.

Firstly, this was NEVER a Raymond or Cody deal. Raymond was hardly of interest to a team who was trading away Kassian. Buffalo wanted/needed a centre. So let's not use this as yet another reason to hate Raymond.

Also, I can't believe the hypocrites on here. All last summer we have listened to moans about how we got bumped around by physical teams.............closely followed by the bedroom GM's formulating trades, HALF of them which included Hodgson.

Along comes an opportunity to rectify the situation BIG TIME and our GM who is recognised for his astute judgement, makes it happen.

You guys are like kids. You want the other kid's toys but you don't want to give up any of your own toys. These other Clubs are not charities, set up for the Canucks benefit.

If you go back and listen or look at the transcript of Gillis's recent interview, he almost spells it out for us. Reinprecht a bigger body with proven 2-way skills was performing well in Chicago and he would be coming up for the playoffs. Schroeder was starting to look like the player we thought we had and he had started to get his head down. If Schroeder plays anything like we think he will then Cody's time would be up here sooner rather than later so MG saw the opportunity to cash in his chips while the value would bring him something we didn't have............we don't even have it in Chicago.

Kassian will not be a 4th liner, if all works out he will be put on the Sedin line when we play the tough guys to cause some damage.

We have tweaked the character of this team in a good way. We have, through the acquisition of Pahlsson and Kassian given this team 5 different faces. I see this as another MG masterstroke which will likely double our chances of winning the Cup.

Some idiot above feels he needs to take steps "for him to avoid hating Kassian." Really junior you need to grow up and hopefully catch some sense along the way. You're pathetic, what has Kassian done other than go where he was wanted.

When i heard at first i wanted to Puke, now im just sad. I hope we didn't just trade for Taylor Pyatt. And CoHo would have been Captain Canuck for years. The next Linden

Get a grip! The reason Cody is away is he was nowhere near and never would be the next Trevor Linden............did you ever see TL?

6'-4" and 220 lbs..................Cody 6'-0" and 185 lbs.

I guarantee Hodgson would still be wearing a Canucks shirt if he had had Linden's build. That was the whole point. He lacked a decent 2-way game and he was too easily baulked.............and we hadn't even got in the playoffs yet, where the physicality doubles.

Can't wait till Cody wins the Calder. Should be a fair amount of whining on here.

This is exactly like the Grabner situation, except Hodgson is an even better player.

Only except that Gillis didn't give away a 1st round pick to get rid of two players. :picard:

Gillis kept his picks but someone's gotta pick up some slack for offense and I don't see a point in rushing Kassian's development. Hodgson is NHL-ready and Kassian appears not to be yet and power forwards take a long time to fully develop (generally).

Overall, Kassian is an intriguing prospect though.

ugh many hours later and I still feel depressed about Cody being traded away, probably won't be over it till after Saturday.

Yeah same. I want to get over it and look at the positives of the deal but losing Hodgson really is like a punch to the gut. Will really sink in Saturday. I usually don't have too much of a tough time dealing with trades but this one is hard.

Yeah same. I want to get over it and look at the positives of the deal but losing Hodgson really is like a punch to the gut. Will really sink in Saturday. I usually don't have too much of a tough time dealing with trades but this one is hard.

I can't wait until Saturday, I bought tickets in September just to boo ehrhoff for selling out, now this game is much more valuable!

I'm ok with the Hodgson trade. As already mentioned, he was never going to take Kesler or Hank off the centre ice position on the top 2 lines. So really it was either get rid of Kesler or Cody. The team obviously chose Cody. Hodgson I doubt would have a great playoffs for the role of a 3rd line centre. The play last week against Detriot where he was completely out muscled by Abelkater (sp?) leading to a goal opened my eyes that he might not be the best decision for that 3rd line role. Obviously MG and the team agreed.

Kassian at the least will be a Torres addition that could turn into a Lucic addition in the future. We miss that Torres presence on the ice and I think that is more needed than whatever little offence Hodgson would have been able to muster in playoff hockey on the third line playing with Hansen and at best Higgins. To be honest in a physical series I saw the Canucks putting Hodgson back on the fourth line like he has been numerous times this year.

Hodgson is a great prospect and I wish him well in Buffalo, but sadly he had to go. There is a reason you pick the best available player at the draft. His value is at an all time high and sometimes its best to sell high. We got a fair return on a even trade.

We all know Hodgson will be a top 6 forward in this league, Kassian will either be a 4th liner (Torres) or a top line player (Lucic), only time will tell; that all depends on how well he can score.

The Canucks are better now than they were yesterday, but if Kassian doesn't develop well, we would of been better in the future. Hopefully we don't have to regret this trade.

Thats what i thought Bitz was for

Let's face it.

Firstly, this was NEVER a Raymond or Cody deal. Raymond was hardly of interest to a team who was trading away Kassian. Buffalo wanted/needed a centre. So let's not use this as yet another reason to hate Raymond.

Also, I can't believe the hypocrites on here. All last summer we have listened to moans about how we got bumped around by physical teams.............closely followed by the bedroom GM's formulating trades, HALF of them which included Hodgson.

Along comes an opportunity to rectify the situation BIG TIME and our GM who is recognised for his astute judgement, makes it happen.

You guys are like kids. You want the other kid's toys but you don't want to give up any of your own toys. These other Clubs are not charities, set up for the Canucks benefit.

If you go back and listen or look at the transcript of Gillis's recent interview, he almost spells it out for us. Reinprecht a bigger body with proven 2-way skills was performing well in Chicago and he would be coming up for the playoffs. Schroeder was starting to look like the player we thought we had and he had started to get his head down. If Schroeder plays anything like we think he will then Cody's time would be up here sooner rather than later so MG saw the opportunity to cash in his chips while the value would bring him something we didn't have............we don't even have it in Chicago.

Kassian will not be a 4th liner, if all works out he will be put on the Sedin line when we play the tough guys to cause some damage.

We have tweaked the character of this team in a good way. We have, through the acquisition of Pahlsson and Kassian given this team 5 different faces. I see this as another MG masterstroke which will likely double our chances of winning the Cup.

Some idiot above feels he needs to take steps "for him to avoid hating Kassian." Really junior you need to grow up and hopefully catch some sense along the way. You're pathetic, what has Kassian done other than go where he was wanted.

You sound like a PR spoksmen for the Canucks

Get a grip! The reason Cody is away is he was nowhere near and never would be the next Trevor Linden............did you ever see TL?

6'-4" and 220 lbs..................Cody 6'-0" and 185 lbs.

I guarantee Hodgson would still be wearing a Canucks shirt if he had had Linden's build. That was the whole point. He lacked a decent 2-way game and he was too easily baulked.............and we hadn't even got in the playoffs yet, where the physicality doubles.

I didn't mean the next Linden in a phisical way but that he would be the cornerstone for the Canucks francise Like yzerman was to the red wings or what Joe Sakic was to Colorado. He Scored BIG time goals for us in Big time games this year. Just Like Linden did. So don't tell me to get a grip

This team was big and tough enough. Last year we had Samuelsson and Raymond as our 2nd line wingers. This season we have Booth and Higgins. Both of them are big powerforwards so I believe we would have been big enough.

Now we lose the only skill we actually had on our bottom-6 and replace it with more toughness and grit.

Its simple really - all the last few cup winners have had big top-6 forwards, giant defenceman and skilled bottom-6 forwards who can score goals in the Cup Finals when their top lines are getting checked. Thats why this trade angers me so much - we finally had something we hadn't had almost in franchise history - a few 20-goal scorers on our 3rd line - the common theme of Cup winners, and MG trades it away. It wasn't a luxury, it was a necessity and now its gone.

I'm banking on Nashville to win the Cup now, or even San Jose after the depth they added up front. 20 goal scorers on the 3rd line end up being cup winners. Mark my words. The only way we win a Cup now is if Hansen, Raymond or Kassian explode in the playoffs ala Marchand/Bolland or we somehow get a historic performance by Kesler, the Sedins or Luongo.

At what point in this bollocks does logic cut in?

You say "Mark my words" That is really difficult when you change your point of view every second day. :lol:

I didn't mean the next Linden in a phisical way but that he would be the cornerstone for the Canucks francise Like yzerman was to the red wings or what Joe Sakic was to Colorado. He Scored BIG time goals for us in Big time games this year. Just Like Linden did. So don't tell me to get a grip

How do you know that Hodgson will score big time goals when we need it. He's completely unproven when it matters. Maybe you are just dreaming about him being our saviour. Maybe Kassian will turn into a clutch player, you have no idea what is going to happen. Just because Hodgson scored against the Bruins doesn't make him a definitive clutch player in the playoffs. Raymond this year as just as many GWGs as Hodgson

16mark, I'm sorry but you are in a hole and you are still digging.

Firstly, in truth Cody was not anywhere near enough the complete package to ever be a cornerstone of the team. He has skill, I'll grant you that but he lacked the "strong character" and the 2-way ability to be a cornerstone. He had no physical upside and if anything was even less gritty than the Sedins.

I feel, and you obviously disagree, that he would always be a "junior" type player on this team due to his lack of ability to stamp his game on the opposition.

In short, imo we have not lost a game breaker or a figurehead, or a franchise player. We have lost a much loved component who I sadly think he had virtually reached all he would ever be in this team.

The only solace I can find is that mostly everything MG has touched has turned to gold. From christian ehrhoff, booth mikael samuelsson higgins maxim lapierre. All great pickups. I wish his track record in bringing power forwards was as good. I just hope theres a method to this madness.

16mark, I'm sorry but you are in a hole and you are still digging.

Firstly, in truth Cody was not anywhere near enough the complete package to ever be a cornerstone of the team. He has skill, I'll grant you that but he lacked the "strong character" and the 2-way ability to be a cornerstone. He had no physical upside and if anything was even less gritty than the Sedins.

I feel, and you obviously disagree, that he would always be a "junior" type player on this team due to his lack of ability to stamp his game on the opposition.

In short, imo we have not lost a game breaker or a figurehead, or a franchise player. We have lost a much loved component who I sadly think he had virtually reached all he would ever be in this team.

umm im sorry i stopped reading when you said Cody lacked strong character. I realized at that moment that im debating with a moron. Sorry

The only solace I can find is that mostly everything MG has touched has turned to gold. From christian ehrhoff, booth mikael samuelsson higgins maxim lapierre. All great pickups. I wish his track record in bringing power forwards was as good. I just hope theres a method to this madness.

Well said. That's all any of us can do. He gets the big bucks to get the calls right, so let's just sit back and enjoy the ride. Life supporting the Canucks is never dull. :)

Archived