The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

BC teacher strike

Guest The Brown Burrows

In my opinion the teachers don't deserve a raise. What they deserve is a proper teaching enviroment (1 Learning Support Kid for class is the most important one, and a few other things).

* many teachers including the ones I know personally weren't happy about having so many (3-6) support kids in their classes while other classes had maybe (0-3). Ruins the teaching enviroment for them and wastes their time as well as the students time (creating easier quizzes/tests, seating arrangements, various phone calls to send the kid(s) to LST, BASES, OFFICE,W/E , etc.).

Teachers are paid well for what they do. Yes, there are some great, and I mean great teachers but then there are some lazy ass .... that can't even teach the easiest of classes.

- Fav. teachers , Grade 12 Law, Grade 8 Science, Grade 7, Grade 4 for sure.

- Worst teachers , Grade 11/12 Accounting/Marketing , Grade 9 English , Grade 8 Math

I wouldn't pay to have some of these lazy teachers being paid to sit at their desk looking up whatever they want on their laptops (mainly stock market trends, mls.ca, facebook, sports websites, youtube, etc.)

^ I've seen them......

Putting the money meant for raises into building new schools and getting rid of portables would be a much better alternative.

As a University student I really couldn't care less (doesn't affect me) but if they get a raise I would like to see a slight raise.

- I heard that the teachers wanted extra sick days for family/friend related events, is that true?

Ex. If a friends, parent is sick they are allowed to miss a day of work... someone told me this, I don't believe that they would got that far...

I had a good GPA in high school (3.5+/4) so when I'm talking about the "bads" they are true. I'm not some idiot claiming that a teacher is bad because she failed me, blah, blah, blah.

In my opinion the teachers don't deserve a raise. What they deserve is a proper teaching enviroment (1 Learning Support Kid for class is the most important one, and a few other things).

* many teachers including the ones I know personally weren't happy about having so many (3-6) support kids in their classes while other classes had maybe (0-3). Ruins the teaching enviroment for them and wastes their time as well as the students time (creating easier quizzes/tests, seating arrangements, various phone calls to send the kid(s) to LST, BASES, OFFICE,W/E , etc.).

Teachers are paid well for what they do. Yes, there are some great, and I mean great teachers but then there are some lazy ass .... that can't even teach the easiest of classes.

- Fav. teachers , Grade 12 Law, Grade 8 Science, Grade 7, Grade 4 for sure.

- Worst teachers , Grade 11/12 Accounting/Marketing , Grade 9 English , Grade 8 Math

I wouldn't pay to have some of these lazy teachers being paid to sit at their desk looking up whatever they want on their laptops (mainly stock market trends, mls.ca, facebook, sports websites, youtube, etc.)

^ I've seen them......

Putting the money meant for raises into building new schools and getting rid of portables would be a much better alternative.

As a University student I really couldn't care less (doesn't affect me) but if they get a raise I would like to see a slight raise.

- I heard that the teachers wanted extra sick days for family/friend related events, is that true?

Ex. If a friends, parent is sick they are allowed to miss a day of work... someone told me this, I don't believe that they would got that far...

I had a good GPA in high school (3.5+/4) so when I'm talking about the "bads" they are true. I'm not some idiot claiming that a teacher is bad because she failed me, blah, blah, blah.

There one teacher I had in 2nd grade, she was a total b****. All my buddies who were in the same class all agree. Going on facebook and looking at other students from different years, different classes all came up with the same conclusion.

I'm not saying 7 year olds are the best judge of characters, but if a teacher gets like 90% dislikes vs 10% likes (and I'm being generous with the 10% here), there should be something wrong, don't you agree?

No, I totally don't agree. This is not a popularity contest. Teachers aren't there to be your friend or be liked. Again, being a b*** and being a bad or good teacher are totally different things. Your perception of your teacher when you were what 7 or 8 years old is just that, the perception of a 7 or 8 year old.

When you have tuition bills that are up to 70 k most of the good teachers are going to move on and use there educations to get better paying jobs so they can pay there bills and make a decent living to support a family but if you pay what i consider to be in the top 3 of importance of jobs a wage they deserve then your going to keep the good teachers and push out the ones that are there only because of a lack of options

When you have tuition bills that are up to 70 k most of the good teachers are going to move on and use there educations to get better paying jobs so they can pay there bills and make a decent living to support a family but if you pay what i consider to be in the top 3 of importance of jobs a wage they deserve then your going to keep the good teachers and push out the ones that are there only because of a lack of options

Well if they get a better paying job they will pay more taxes and open up a spot for one of the many currently un or underemployed young teachers (at lower cost due to lower on the pay scale) out there. Sounds like a win win win to me.

By all means, pursue better employment. I ENCOURAGE IT.

Not a threat by ANY stretch of the immagination. There is no teacher shortage. There is a teacher surplus.

I don't agree with this because it's the good staff that will be motivated to move on leaving behind the ones that just want to get by. It would hurt the education system. I would rather find a way to encourage the good teachers to stay and remove the poor ones and fill those up with the surplus.

No, I totally don't agree. This is not a popularity contest. Teachers aren't there to be your friend or be liked. Again, being a b*** and being a bad or good teacher are totally different things. Your perception of your teacher when you were what 7 or 8 years old is just that, the perception of a 7 or 8 year old.

Really? I could just as easily say that it would only be the ones that don't really like teaching that would be more likely to move on.

The currently unemployed young teachers are certainly intersted in teaching.

I am more than willing to risk that this will somehow only remove the good teachers. Like I said, go ahead, get a different job, I encourage it.

And now retroactively looking back, everyone agree that the teacher really sucks. We didn't realize it then, but a lot of subtle insults were made, plus the sudden outbursts in anger, neglect of the well-being of the students.... if that's not what qualifies as a poor teacher, I don't know what is.

I agree that you don't have to like the teacher, only that the teacher is competent, but when the instructor creates an environment where it actually affects the students' moods, especially to kids when they're more emotionally fragile.... that teacher shouldn't be teaching that grade. Unhappy environment = poor learning environment.... when this is an issue about students and their education, how is protecting bad teachers a good thing?

Simple solutions:

- dissolve the teacher's union

- have each teacher as a hire contractor where their performance can be measured (teacher can also tax deduct work-related expenses like car, supplies, pc, etc)

For Students:

- leased computers

- mandatory breakfast/lunch

- allow students to clean schools (simple duties) for course credits/food vouchers

- more in-depth career planning for senior students

Well if they get a better paying job they will pay more taxes and open up a spot for one of the many currently un or underemployed young teachers (at lower cost due to lower on the pay scale) out there. Sounds like a win win win to me.

By all means, pursue better employment. I ENCOURAGE IT.

Not a threat by ANY stretch of the immagination. There is no teacher shortage. There is a teacher surplus.

It may be difficult to find a fair solution of accessing teacher performance, but is it fair to pay teachers based on their experience?

I don't think so.

The longer teachers teach, the more they get paid. Their teaching ability has zero influence on how much they are paid.

Another problem associated with this issue is that it is impossible to fire teachers since their union is so powerful. A teacher of mine even used to joke that it would not be possible for a teacher to get fired unless the individual was caught having sex with a student, while trying to kill them. Sure it was funny, but it was also incredibly sad. Once a teacher is hired in BC, if he/she so desires, she can continue teaching forever, and get paid regardless of what they do.

There is no accountability without standardized tests. It doesn't mean just one big provincial at the end of the year, it could mean a series of tests every term, with the five lowest scores dropped. Also, while dividing students into their courses, it can be programmed so that there is a balance of stronger and weaker students (by looking at previous grades). There certainly are many factors, but could teachers get away with showing movies every class? Sure they can.

There are teachers that devote their lives to teaching and are paid the same or even less as some teachers that really could not care less about their students.

It may be difficult to find a fair solution of accessing teacher performance, but is it fair to pay teachers based on their experience?

I don't think so.

The longer teachers teach, the more they get paid. Their teaching ability has zero influence on how much they are paid.

Another problem associated with this issue is that it is impossible to fire teachers since their union is so powerful. A teacher of mine even used to joke that it would not be possible for a teacher to get fired unless the individual was caught having sex with a student, while trying to kill them. Sure it was funny, but it was also incredibly sad. Once a teacher is hired in BC, if he/she so desires, she can continue teaching forever, and get paid regardless of what they do.

There is no accountability without standardized tests. There certainly are many factors, but could teachers get away with showing movies every class? Sure they can.

There are teachers that devote their lives to teaching and are paid the same or even less as some teachers that really could not care less about their students.

Archived